Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

some thoughts from an israeli guy.

some thoughts from an israeli guy.

Old Jan 9th 2003, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Twofingersalute is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by guyguy2003
moral and loyalty???? yeah i can imagine her kids running fanatically, while burning the English flag in the streets of bondi beach
:scared:
what the hell are you talking about???????
ofcourse they will become aussies, what's wrong with that??
Try to figure this - I have a friend from south africa who actually came back to the UK to start her life here, her father was british, what do you think she is doing, betraying South Africa, or doing the right thing (She is also british after all!!!) ??

It seems like you are very national and scared that british people are leaving their country, if you are say it out loud and in clear voice, and dont give us crap. cheers!
whats wrong with that! everything!!! look at the cricket team-hayden smashed a window because he was losing-thats being aussie-they cant stand to lose-uncooth, loud mouthed, uncivilised-

i am scared for the british people leaving uk for this dump-although I must admit if we get a whole lot of british in we might improve the place! but do u know what your in for-especially when they hear your accent and say"not another pommie bastard"-
Old Jan 9th 2003, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Well..

Originally posted by Inked
Ahh I have mentioned someplace else in this newsgroup. I was working as a volunteer for JOY Melbourne, the GLBT Radio Station, I’m back in the UK at the moment working on a contract till March, but my partner is still in our place in Melbourne, he still does a couple of radio shows for JOY and the occasional TV program for Bent TV (opportunities that both of us feel we would never have had in the UK). I’ll be joining in again once I get home and hopefully by then he too will have his PR (he is working out there at the moment on a temporary working visa).

As for where we live, well we wanted to be central, Melbourne is a fantastic city, entertainment etc. wise, it is like London form a ‘things to do’ point of view, but better weather and fewer people. We have opted for a place in South Melbourne very close to the CBD (10 minutes walk), the Arts complex of Southbank (6 minutes walk) and the Botanical gardens (just across St. Kilda Road. Melbourne has a great (and cheep) public transport system so getting around the City is very very easy (unlike Sydney) For us its such a great change to be in such a relaxed and refined place – Not sure what its like out in the suburbs though, they seem to stretch on for mile after mile of houses and ‘neighbours’ like estates.

There are areas that are specifically considered particularly Gay, but frankly you would be missing out on all that Melbourne has to offer if you was to restrict yourself to only the gay areas. It’s a city that we both feel comfortably accepted as a couple regardless of the fact that we are a same sex couple. Again, I am not sure how this would be in the suburbs not having lived in them.
If you get the chance, I would thoroughly recommend that you give Melbourne a try, we have gained more real friends there in 6 months than many years in London (by real friends, I me folk that are actually interested in each other, will go out of their way to help etc etc ) .

Joe
Melbourne is crap-it is :unfriendly, conservative,boring, weather changes every 5 minutes,...
interested in eachother! what a joke -they are only interested in what they can get out of you-go out of there way to help-rubbish-they go out of their way to avoid you-cross the street if necessary- they give two fingers when they drive-cut u off-swear at u if u go too slow-its a terrible cold dismal existence-queensland is the best bet-if u can stand air heads and heat...
ps bernard king just died what a shame....
"Melbourne has a great (and cheep) public transport system "-yeah $11 for a ticket-very cheap-thats if the useless metcard works....very relaxed avoiding the ticket inspectors-they had one guy in Swanston st pinned to the ground-very relaxed if it is not for the swearing, rudeness, bad driving........
Old Jan 9th 2003, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

colind is an unknown quantity at this point

[i]hayden smashed a window because he was losing

i
I guess Hayden would argue he smashed the window because he got a shocking lbw decision, closely following Langer's which was even worse. Shame! Having said that, both his and Gilchrist's behaviour certainly set a dreadful example to any kids watching and it was also interesting to note the behaviour of a minority of the crowd at the SCG last night - another game Australia lost. Sometimes we Brits are criticised for being "too nice, lack of passion" etc but I think there is something to be said for being gracious in defeat.
Old Jan 9th 2003, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by colin
I guess Hayden would argue he smashed the window because he got a shocking lbw decision, closely following Langer's which was even worse. Shame! Having said that, both his and Gilchrist's behaviour certainly set a dreadful example to any kids watching and it was also interesting to note the behaviour of a minority of the crowd at the SCG last night - another game Australia lost. Sometimes we Brits are criticised for being "too nice, lack of passion" etc but I think there is something to be said for being gracious in defeat.
Australians ARE NEVER GRACIOUS in defeat-thats just how they are-they will do ANYTHING to win-is this what we want our kids to see by example?
Old Jan 9th 2003, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

guyguy2003 is on a distinguished road

hey twofingersalute, having said all of this, do you find anything good in aussies? and btw where r u now, r u british or have you immigrated to oz.
Old Jan 9th 2003, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

hey twofingersalute, having said all of this, do you find anything good in aussies? and btw where r u now, r u british or have you immigrated to oz.
well actually I have met some good australians-but they are very few and EDUCATED-in my art field they are great but the guy on the street stinks-i have had to shut myself off in the studio to survive or I would be having an arguement at least once per day-over anything!!! I am british but immigrated (forced) to come out here as a child for 10 pounds-the aussies dont like it if you speak out-i do feel sorry for u where u are-i get constant reports about some suicide bomber-u should leave-australia is an option but I go to UK.
Old Jan 9th 2003, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

thanks. I got to say that you are the only one who sees the aussies in that light, I like both aussies and british people and i guess they have differences maybe you prefer the british way of thinking and thats fine. but you seem to talk in such bitterness i don't know why you stay there if you don't like it, then just come back to the UK!
Old Jan 9th 2003, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

I have to say it facinates me to see how people that actually come from the same origin (the majority are from british decent)
can be so different.
Old Jan 9th 2003, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

thanks. I got to say that you are the only one who sees the aussies in that light, I like both aussies and british people and i guess they have differences maybe you prefer the british way of thinking and thats fine. but you seem to talk in such bitterness i don't know why you stay there if you don't like it, then just come back to the UK!
comimg back in September this year!
Old Jan 9th 2003, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

I have to say it facinates me to see how people that actually come from the same origin (the majority are from british decent)
can be so different.
I think australia is effected by the "Irish Factor"-alot of irish immigrants came out here-that COULD be the reason for the anti British resentment-as well as aussie rules-is very much like gaelic football. other than that I haven't a clue why aussies hate the english SOOO MUCH!
Old Jan 9th 2003, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

I got to tell you one thing tho... as someone who lived in Israel by the sea I miss it alot. my parents live 5 mins walk from the shore and i miss it in london, and when i need my calmness i go to the millenium bridge in london to see the thames... its the closest thing i got in London i guess. So i believe that living in a city in australia would do me only good.
Old Jan 9th 2003, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

I got to tell you one thing tho... as someone who lived in Israel by the sea I miss it alot. my parents live 5 mins walk from the shore and i miss it in london, and when i need my calmness i go to the millenium bridge in london to see the thames... its the closest thing i got in London i guess. So i believe that living in a city in australia would do me only good.
WEll maybe... it is however a LONG way from Israel-the aussie wont care about your plight-if they do they will just say not mean it! theres no bridges here to look at! The westgates a tad bit high!!
Old Jan 9th 2003, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

It is a long way from Israel but I really don't have a choice.
I don't want to live in a place where i'm a second-rate person like in immigrant-phobic england. So i have to take what i got and for now its only Australia.
Old Jan 9th 2003, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

It is a long way from Israel but I really don't have a choice.
I don't want to live in a place where i'm a second-rate person like in immigrant-phobic england. So i have to take what i got and for now its only Australia.
Well good luck but anyone who is foreign is taking a chance with an australian-however my friend is jewish but he could be aussie born-there are lots of jewish connections here
Old Jan 9th 2003, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

what do you mean taking a chance with an australian? i didnt understand that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.