Some questions for the wannabe\gonnabe expats

Wikiposts

Some questions for the wannabe\gonnabe expats

Old Sep 5th 2003, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Some questions for the wannabe\gonnabe expats

Originally posted by debsy
love the avatar Rach!! where id you get it??
debs

Hi Debs
thanks for your comment, i got it off this forum i think or it could have been www.animationfactory.com try it!
its me to a tee, still waiting for the tra assessment, only difference i'm not blonde!
best regards
rach
Old Sep 5th 2003, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

I am!!
Thanks Rach.
Old Sep 5th 2003, 2:26 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

You are not by any chance doing a thesis on migrants are you???

Debs
Hi Debs

No I'm not. Just interested. Also needed to see some new threads to get people talking again as interesting threads have been a bit thin on the ground recently.

Old Sep 5th 2003, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

I am!!
Thanks Rach.
Hi Debs
let me know if the address for Animation Factory doesnt work!
rach
Old Sep 5th 2003, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by HUP
My previous thread was for those that have already made the big jump. I'd now like to ask a few questions of those people in the process of making the big move to another land.

1) How long has the process taken and when and where are you going?
2) Whats your family unit and are they all happy about the move?
3) Why are you going?
4) How long are you intending to stay?
5) Has this site made you waiver in your decision? (i.e. did you have an unrealistic image which has been quashed?)
6) What has been your biggest realisation from the information that you have gained from this site?
7) Whats your favourite position (Oh sorry wrong forum)

Keep it clean people.
1) Put application in Feb 2003 and got it in May 2003.
WA probably Bunbury.
As soon as the house goes through.

2) Me, hubby and youngest daughter. Eldest daughter married and staying here (for the time being/hope to covince son in law when they get out there and have a holiday)

3) We were going to do it about 15 years ago, but went to Spain for a couple of years instead. Then I went over there 2 years ago to visit my Brother, and realised that it was the biggest mistake we had made by not going. Last December, hubby was made redundant from work. Persuaded him to go over and take a look for himself. He loved it, and came back in the January, and it was all systems go.

4) Take it day by day. Don't like to think that we are doing this with any intention of coming back, but you never know what is going to happen or how your feelings are going to change.

5) There have been times in the early days when I have become very low when on this site. It has been very informative at times. There are a lot of us going through the same thing, and it is comforting to beable to put your feelings on here without boring someone to death that doesn't know what you are going through. I have learnt a lot from here. The good and the bad.
Once you know some of the other posters and their quirky ways, you can then take in the information and take the rest with a pinch of salt.

6) Ozzies like to barbie.
No, really, I can't say that there is any big realisation from on here, but I have a lot more knowledge about the day to day way of life. A lot more than when we went out to Spain.

7) BLEEP BLEEP

Whisky
Old Sep 5th 2003, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by HUP
My previous thread was for those that have already made the big jump. I'd now like to ask a few questions of those people in the process of making the big move to another land.

3) Why are you going?
5) Has this site made you waiver in your decision? (i.e. did you have an unrealistic image which has been quashed?)
6) What has been your biggest realisation from the information that you have gained from this site?

Keep it clean people.
As the Spouse I'm just moving back home to Melbourne (leaving 17th September) but for him outdoors:

1. The process took exactyl 22 days from sending the Spouse Visa to London AHC and getting Passport back with Visa Sticker inside.

2. Family Unit: 2 Adults + 1 child (Australian Citizen by Descent)

3. Disillusioned with prospects in UK. Opportunity to own generous sized property with lesser mortgage for growing family (hopefully another child), and a new adventure.

4. Permanently, subject to integration into the community, and Australian way of life.

5. No. This site has been a useful source of information, but at the end of the day one man's meat is another man's poison.

6. Biggest realisation is that I'm going to need alot of support from friends and family to adjust to the Australian way of life.

7. Ummmm.......

Regards
Old Sep 5th 2003, 9:35 am
Finally back home

sally1968 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by HUP

3) Why are you going?

Keep it clean people.
1) Only made the final decision in Feb of this year and after gathering all the info to front load (spouse visa) took 25 days from posting to receiving the visa back. We are going to Adelaide as that is where my family live.

2) Me, hubby and 2 children - daughter 10, son almost 7. We all just want to go now, can't wait.

3) We believe it will be a better life for the children and we don't want to look back in 10 years time and think what if.

4) As long as we are happy but plan to give it at least 2-3 years.

5) No, not at all. Having family who have lived in Oz all their lives and have had bad as well as good times I am fully aware that it won't be paradise.

6) Nothing to dramatic. Have found the site great source of info and feel that I have made some new friends.

7) Anything when my hubby is there!!!! (he works night shift so it's not that often that we are in bed at the same time!!! )
Old Sep 5th 2003, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by HUP

3) Why are you going?

Keep it clean people.
Hi here goes

!) we applied for TRA in May and heard back in 6 weeks, visa went in July this year, want to go next summer

2) Hubbie, me and two yr old, all v happy , we met in Sydney 5 yrs ago, Oliver has been on hols this yr too

3) cos we both loved it there, had whv, G sydney, me all over, so know what we are letting ourselves in for

4 how long is a piece of string!!! will get our ozzie passports

5) no way, great pieces of info from some, others just complete w******, everyone go and make up your own mind..........

6) some real genuine people out there who want a change and good luck to them all....... please don't be put off by the wasters here, we have exp living and working there and its worth a go!!!

7) whatever

Old Sep 5th 2003, 4:03 pm
Hello Sydney Oct 1

amaslam is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Some questions for the wannabe\gonnabe expats

Originally posted by HUP

3) Why are you going?

Keep it clean people.
1. 3 weeks to get all the info from various parties and 15 days to officially process the whole thing (457 4yr temp Visa)
2. Just myself and very excited to be going
3. Beaches, climate, different country, a decent work commute (currently 75 mins each way in US). Also to see if I can. Fortunate to be given the opportunity and I don't want to wonder 50 yrs from now in my rocking chair (what if I had gone to Oz?)
4. At least 2 yrs. Possibly for life
5. Not at all, just reading up to confirm that my reasons are solid (seem to be similar to many)
6. It's not going to be good everyday, but expect some great new experiences.
7. Goalie. Ummm.... what else did you mean?
Old Sep 6th 2003, 7:30 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

hup!