Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

some info on gympie (qld) please

some info on gympie (qld) please

Old Apr 22nd 2009, 5:26 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default some info on gympie (qld) please

hope someone can help

we are due to go to Gympie for a football tournament in May does anyone have any info on where we can get half decent acommodation around there or upto a 20/30 minute drive away.

I know someone on here lives there, but I just can't think who it is.

any help would be great

thanks
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 5:57 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: some info on gympie (qld) please

Originally Posted by wardy2
hope someone can help

we are due to go to Gympie for a football tournament in May does anyone have any info on where we can get half decent acommodation around there or upto a 20/30 minute drive away.

any help would be great

thanks
Noosa and Rainbow Beach aren't far away (probably about 20-30 mins)

Never stayed in Gympie only been there a few times on business and driven though countless times on the way to other places.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 6:02 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Cresta57 is the one with the short straw.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 6:47 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

The wife and out-laws are from Gympie and as long as your not expecting 5 star accommodation there are plenty of motels in Gympie itself you could stay at. Most of the ones on the main drag offer the same sort of service.

I would say Noosa and Rainbow beach are around 45 minutes from Gympie. Tin Can Bay might be a little closer but im not sure what is there accommodation wise.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

OzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud of

hope someone can help

any help would be great

thanks
We live in Gympie! The Royal right in the centre of Gympie has rooms which are not too bad. Not sure if you need family or doubles but they have both.

http://www.theroyalgympie.com.au/accommodation.html

Let me know if you need anymore info!! And don't forget to pack your gun!

Jo
Attached Thumbnails some info on gympie (qld) please-royal1.jpg   some info on gympie (qld) please-royal2.jpg  

Last edited by OzWannabee; Apr 22nd 2009 at 9:16 am. Reason: Can't spell!
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

teppic is just really niceteppic is just really niceteppic is just really niceteppic is just really niceteppic is just really niceteppic is just really niceteppic is just really niceteppic is just really nice

Yep - There are plenty of places to stay in town

However it is a bit "western" was originally a Gold mining town and keeps a bit of that heratige - Great place if you are a rock/gem collector.

Noosa has some great Hotels and a great holiday feel, or if you are around for a few days check out the Eumundi Markets:-http://www.eumundimarkets.com.au/

You are also not too far from some interesting wineries up past Kilkevan:-http://tourism.southburnett.com.au/index.php

Have Fun
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

OzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by teppic
Yep - There are plenty of places to stay in town

However it is a bit "western" was originally a Gold mining town and keeps a bit of that heratige - Great place if you are a rock/gem collector.
Yeah I often go and do my shopping with my stetson and rock pick
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Gympie isn't that Hicksville. I expected it to be more so. It's a nice neat small town, but there aren't swaggies with cork hats sitting on the pavement, or weeds bowling down the centre of town. I expect you'd find suitable accomodation in town.

Noosa (great shopping and beaches), Tina Can Bay (daily dolphin feeds for a gold coin donation, screaming birdlife and scenery) and Rainbow Beach (camels -book ahead, and scenery) are well worth visiting, but I don't know if I'd want to travel from there to Gympie each day. Hervey Bay's worth a visit too.

Last edited by kiwinow; Apr 23rd 2009 at 7:55 am.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

Just remember it is a 60 K speed limit all the way through Gympie!!! Almost everyone I know has had a ticket going through the place...... Including me!!!
Old Apr 30th 2009, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

There are not any really good hotels in Gympie. The new Rainbow Beach Hotel is supposed to be very good, but as someone said, it's a longish drive in every day.

The Great Eastern Motel is 4*, easy to find and situated opposite very nice parkland. I haven't been inside though. http://www.greateastern.com.au/

Gympie used to have a bad reputation but it's now a nice friendly place with not a lot of crime. those types seem to have moved on to Bundaburg. The most dangerous thing about Gympie is the appalling Bruce Highway.

Let me know if you would like more help.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 3:59 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

I had forgotten I wrote this post I wrote it while I was ill and not 100% with it.

Thanks for all the info it has given us some ideas and will have a look at some of the suggestions.

especially the speed limit hubby has been caught out twice now