Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Some info on Bullsbrook

Some info on Bullsbrook

Old May 29th 2011, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Some info on Bullsbrook

Hi guys,

Just been up to Bullsbrook to have a look at a block of land. 330k for over 7 acres and what I think is an amazing view.

Anyway, it's the first time I been there and I'm after some thoughts/advice on the place, what it's like to live there, the practicalities or impracticalities of building on a large block etc etc

Schools/work is not a concern, other than the fact that we would be going from a 5/10 minute, to a 25/30 commute each way.

Cheers in advance
Old May 29th 2011, 9:44 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Some info on Bullsbrook

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
Hi guys,

Just been up to Bullsbrook to have a look at a block of land. 330k for over 7 acres and what I think is an amazing view.

Anyway, it's the first time I been there and I'm after some thoughts/advice on the place, what it's like to live there, the practicalities or impracticalities of building on a large block etc etc

Schools/work is not a concern, other than the fact that we would be going from a 5/10 minute, to a 25/30 commute each way.

Cheers in advance
Does anybody live there? Just looked on Google Earth and it looks a bit God forsaken.
Old May 29th 2011, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Does anybody live there? Just looked on Google Earth and it looks a bit God forsaken.
Yeah, it's kind of semi rural, with lots of big blocks, a small village centre and a large RAAF base, but only 15/20 min drive from civilisation and you seem to get an awful lot of land for your cash
Old May 29th 2011, 10:14 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
99% of Australia fits into that type of "geography". Sounds like bliss to me! Acreage, no neighbours and an hour to Perth CBD. Only 35 minutes from the beach too!!!

My comparision would be Appin, NSW - a bit god forsaken also, 25 minutes from the beach and not a lot there. An hour to Sydney and 40 minutes to Wollongong. A block that size with a decent house and buildings would be well in excess of 650k.

Swings and roundabouts I guess. Land is only ever worth what someone will pay for it. Be worth looking at re sale values of properties in the vicinty, and how long they took to sell. Unless you are planning to stay there forever. How exciting. Good luck.
Old May 29th 2011, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ponyrama
99% of Australia fits into that type of "geography". Sounds like bliss to me! Acreage, no neighbours and an hour to Perth CBD. Only 35 minutes from the beach too!!!

My comparision would be Appin, NSW - a bit god forsaken also, 25 minutes from the beach and not a lot there. An hour to Sydney and 40 minutes to Wollongong. A block that size with a decent house and buildings would be well in excess of 650k.

Swings and roundabouts I guess. Land is only ever worth what someone will pay for it. Be worth looking at re sale values of properties in the vicinty, and how long they took to sell. Unless you are planning to stay there forever. How exciting. Good luck.
Thanks for that, we're only at the very early stages of discussing it as a possibility.
I think long term, ie 20 years plus, it would be a good investment, with the continuing advancement of the Perth urban sprawl, but we're looking at it more from a long term family home perspective.

The only downside I can see is that we'll be an extra 20 mins from my daughters school and most of her friends, but as things stand, we already have to drive her everywhere anyway
Old May 29th 2011, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

I would love to live there and set up a dog rescue shelter and was only looking in the local paper at a block of land for about the same price and thought I hope our lottery numbers come up!I don't know anyone who lives there but my OH used to work with a women who is going to move there when her house sells as she wants room for her horse.She is a local and loves the area.

My daughters friend lives a next to Bullsbrook,Chittering and her family have chickens and goats.It does make it hard on the daughter as sometimes she can't be picked up from school right away and has to get two buses and then wait at the bus stop for an hour for her Dad.Sometimes she does not even go to school if he can't take her.
Old May 29th 2011, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Do your homework first - I found mention of a new town in the area (in East Bullsbrook) and various sub-divisions. Also there is land set aside the the Perth-Darwin national highway, talk of truck depots, industrial areas and various other items. There is also the risk of living next to an RAAF base (Pearce) - might be aircraft movements at all times of the day and night. I've read various suggestions to turn Pearce into a new Perth airport, or build it nearby. Large blocks might not have access to scheme (mains) water, leaving you reliant on water tanks. Sometimes the cost to link up electricity to rural blocks can be prohibitive. Gas might not be available on mains, and gas bottles tend to be expensive and inconvenient. Also check the Dampier-Bunbury gas pipeline and any plans to deviate or expand land area around it, generally not a good idea to have easements.

Last edited by HelenTD; May 29th 2011 at 12:07 pm.
Old May 29th 2011, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

rangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nice

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Do your homework first - I found mention of a new town in the area (in East Bullsbrook) and various sub-divisions. Also there is land set aside the the Perth-Darwin national highway, talk of truck depots, industrial areas and various other items. There is also the risk of living next to an RAAF base (Pearce) - might be aircraft movements at all times of the day and night. I've read various suggestions to turn Pearce into a new Perth airport, or build it nearby. Large blocks might not have access to scheme (mains) water, leaving you reliant on water tanks. Sometimes the cost to link up electricity to rural blocks can be prohibitive and gas might not be available on mains, and gas bottles tend to be expensive and inconvenient. Also check the Dampier-Bunbury gas pipeline and any plans to deviate or expand land area around it, generally not a good idea tohave easements.
some excellent points you raised and food for thought for them to consider, i wouldnt touch it with a barge pole
Old May 29th 2011, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Do your homework first - I found mention of a new town in the area (in East Bullsbrook) and various sub-divisions. Also there is land set aside the the Perth-Darwin national highway, talk of truck depots, industrial areas and various other items. There is also the risk of living next to an RAAF base (Pearce) - might be aircraft movements at all times of the day and night. I've read various suggestions to turn Pearce into a new Perth airport, or build it nearby. Large blocks might not have access to scheme (mains) water, leaving you reliant on water tanks. Sometimes the cost to link up electricity to rural blocks can be prohibitive. Gas might not be available on mains, and gas bottles tend to be expensive and inconvenient. Also check the Dampier-Bunbury gas pipeline and any plans to deviate or expand land area around it, generally not a good idea to have easements.
Some very good points to consider and something to discuss with the real estate agents when I call them in the morning
Old May 29th 2011, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
Some very good points to consider and something to discuss with the real estate agents when I call them in the morning
Listen to what the real estate agents have to say, but all they care about is their commission. Do your own independent checks.
Old May 29th 2011, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I've been to visit someone who lives there a few years back. I think there was a pub, garage, maybe a shop and that's about it!

He was on one of those big sub-divided blocks and said turn right off the main highway and then we are on the second left, what he didn't tell us second left was x amount of kilometers away and we thought we'd never be seen again!

Anyway, he was living in one of those huge tin sheds made into a house and land sitting whilst his niece was working in the outback. All was well until he told me about the Tiger snake that ventured into the house the previous week at which point we declined to stay with him! On the plus side he said he saw lots of Kangas who visited each day but that wouldn't make up for the snakes in my book.

I don't know if there is anymore infrastructure there now in the 4 years since we visited but it wasn't that far from Perth and if you like rural and living out in the sticks then it might suit you!
Old May 29th 2011, 11:41 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Chittering, just outside Bullsbrook is beautiful, specially in spring.
Old May 30th 2011, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

Condor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant future

This might help.

http://www.mainroads.wa.gov.au/BUILD...rthDarwin.aspx
Old May 30th 2011, 3:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by koalakim
Hi

I've been to visit someone who lives there a few years back. I think there was a pub, garage, maybe a shop and that's about it!

He was on one of those big sub-divided blocks and said turn right off the main highway and then we are on the second left, what he didn't tell us second left was x amount of kilometers away and we thought we'd never be seen again!

Anyway, he was living in one of those huge tin sheds made into a house and land sitting whilst his niece was working in the outback. All was well until he told me about the Tiger snake that ventured into the house the previous week at which point we declined to stay with him! On the plus side he said he saw lots of Kangas who visited each day but that wouldn't make up for the snakes in my book.

I don't know if there is anymore infrastructure there now in the 4 years since we visited but it wasn't that far from Perth and if you like rural and living out in the sticks then it might suit you!
Seems to be a small number of shops and takeaways there, including an IGA, but I'm guessing that the facilities of Ellenbrook are only 15 mins away and Joondalup about 25 mins.
Still doesn't seem too bad for what is essentially rural living
Old May 30th 2011, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Condor of Bermuda
Thanks for the info.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.