Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Some decent suburbs of Sydney

Some decent suburbs of Sydney

Old May 4th 2009, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Some decent suburbs of Sydney

What follows is a compilation from other threads where people had something good to say about these suburbs such as safe, family-friendly, decent neighbourhood etc.

North shore
Mosman, Neutral Bay, Hornsby, Ryde, Lane Cove, Cremorne Point, Berowra Heights

Northern beaches
Dee Why, Curl Curl, Collaroy, Narrabeen, Avalon, Manly, Monavale, Newport

East
Double Bay, Elizabeth Bay, Paddington, Rose bay, Centennial Park, Valcluse, Woolhara, Balmoral, Lavender Bay,

Inner West
Kogorah, Penhurst, Mortdale, Oatley, Strathfield, Asfield, Burwood Heights, Hurstville, Balmain

South
Cronulla, Miranda, Gymea, Caringbah, Gymea Bay, Kirrawee, Como, Janalli,

Northwest
Epping, Eastwood, Carlingford, Thornleigh, Baulkham Hills, Castle Hill, Bella Vista, Cherrybrook, Blackheath, Leura, Wentworth Falls

Southwest
Camden, Elderslie, Harrington Park, Narellan,

Southern highlands
Picton, Mittagong, Berrima, suburbs in between Moss Vale and Berrima

Central coast
Gosford

I'm sure there are lots more good suburbs out there. Whats your experience?
Old May 4th 2009, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Some decent suburbs of Sydney

You are missing most of the suburbs on the upper north shore!

Pymble, Gordon, Killara, Lindfield, Wharooga, Warrawee etc. etc.

Most people would agree they are nice (if a little expensive)
Old May 5th 2009, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

I would say all the suburbs in Sutherland Shire (south) are family friendly and safe.

Half the suburbs you have listed as Inner West aren't really inner west. I would probably add at least Rozelle, Camperdown, Drumoyne, Chiswick.

I imagine there are many other suburbs that could be added to the list and it really comes down to personal choice
Old May 6th 2009, 12:22 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spottydog
I would say all the suburbs in Sutherland Shire (south) are family friendly and safe.

Half the suburbs you have listed as Inner West aren't really inner west. I would probably add at least Rozelle, Camperdown, Drumoyne, Chiswick.

I imagine there are many other suburbs that could be added to the list and it really comes down to personal choice

I'm not entirely sure what the OP is trying to achieve with these fairly subjective suburb listings. What is one person's poison is another's nectar, and making value judgements based upon comments made by strangers in other threads seems pretty ridiculous to me.

I would certainly agree that most of those suburbs listed as Inner West really aren't. Kogarah certainly isn't, and Strathfield is on the very very edge of the Inner West. To that list I would add Glebe, Camperdown, Erskineville, Enmore, Darlington/Golden Grove, Leichhardt, Five Dock, Annandale, Rozelle, Stanmore, Petersham, Lewisham, Croydon and parts of St Peters and Alexandria. All of these are excellent suburbs, with different things going for them, and I would be happy to live in any of them.

Personally, I live near Newtown, and while it's not everybody's cup of tea, I find it a very vibrant and safe place with a grungy alternative feel to it, a far cry from many of the sterile and superficial suburbs around Sydney. I don't think I have ever lived anywhere with bookshops and music shops open almost 24 hours a day.

S