Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Some Clarification Please - Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth) (“FW Act”).

Some Clarification Please - Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth) (“FW Act”).

Old Apr 7th 2011, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Some Clarification Please - Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth) (“FW Act”).

Morning/Evening all

My husband has received his condition of contract this morning, which he needs to sign and send back accepting the job (as if we wouldnt ). It has raised a few queries which we are sending back to the company. One of these queries is the following paragraph - neither of us really understand it and i am struggling to find anything on google. I am hoping that one of you good people has some insight into what it means and can enlighten us.

Paragraph causing confusion
Your position entitles you to coverage under the Awardfree (the “Award”), pursuant to the
Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth) (“FW Act”). You are classified as Awardfree in the Award.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some Clarification Please - Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth) (“FW Act”).

I had just typed up a big reply about the Award system, when my computer decided to re-start, so I lost the lot. Anyway, the Award system in Australia covered minimum pay rates and conditions for workers, and varied from state to state, from one employer to another, etc. Those with a muscular union tended to get very generous awards; others with wimpy unions didn't fair so well. Pay and conditions were not always related to qualifications and skills, but then the same thing still happens today.

The John Howard govt decided to dismantle the award system, so the Australian Labor Party campaigned heavily against it and won the election, and started to dismantle the Howard legislation.

There have always been people who were employed outside the award system, on an individual contract. That sentence in your post seems to indicate that your OH's position is not covered by an award, a situation they are calling award-free. See if you can make any sense out of the info on http://www.fwa.gov.au/index.cfm?pagename=awardsfind - good luck.