Reload this Page >

Some Advice Plz!

Some Advice Plz!

Old Mar 25th 2005, 12:41 am
Just Joined

Saintly1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Some Advice Plz!

Hi There

We've finally got our visas approved and are flying out to Perth on the 18 April. I had crown in this week to give me a quote for moving a goodly part of the contents of our 3 bed semi in a 20ft sole use container. The figure they came up with was £4,000. With insurance at 3% on top of this. What I'd like to know is whether this seems a reasonable rate or if I should either look elsewhere or try to knock them down. I've searched through the forums to compare quotes but not had much luck.

I also have some antique furniture which I'm wondering if I should take or leave behind. I'm concerned in case it gets damaged in transit, if quarrantine will take an interest in it and want to fumigate it and at what cost, and if the Perth climate will do it any harm.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Christine
Old Mar 25th 2005, 12:58 am
JJ

JJ will become famous soon enoughJJ will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Some Advice Plz!

We were quoted £3K for the smallest conatiner the company we spoke with deal in.
Old Mar 25th 2005, 5:26 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saintly1
Hi There

We've finally got our visas approved and are flying out to Perth on the 18 April. I had crown in this week to give me a quote for moving a goodly part of the contents of our 3 bed semi in a 20ft sole use container. The figure they came up with was £4,000. With insurance at 3% on top of this. What I'd like to know is whether this seems a reasonable rate or if I should either look elsewhere or try to knock them down. I've searched through the forums to compare quotes but not had much luck.

I also have some antique furniture which I'm wondering if I should take or leave behind. I'm concerned in case it gets damaged in transit, if quarrantine will take an interest in it and want to fumigate it and at what cost, and if the Perth climate will do it any harm.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Christine
You should be able to get the items insured for the trip.

Also check out Australian customs Service and contact them if need be. Their website is: http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm

Hope that helps
Old Mar 25th 2005, 8:48 am
Just Joined

Saintly1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your replies and for the web link.

Regards

Chris
Old Mar 25th 2005, 8:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

There was a really useful thread on the shippers not long ago

Have a look through this:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268288