Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Solicitors!!!!!!

Solicitors!!!!!!

Old May 6th 2005, 1:01 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Solicitors!!!!!!

I have just had an email from our Solicitor in the UK. This one firm has handled my FIL's estate for us and has handled the sale of the house in the UK for us. They made a killing on the house sale as we had 3 buyers and they charged us for all 3, even when 2 pulled out of the sale.

NOW.....They are handling one final job for us that has been running since January. They quoted us a price back in January before we ok'd them to start and have now advised us in an email dated 4/5/05 that from the 1/5/05 their rates would increase.

Am I right in assuming that as they quoted us a price when we first started this particular job that we shouldnt now expect a price increase? Especially as they are notifying us AFTER the date of implementation of the increase?

Hels
Old May 6th 2005, 1:46 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Solicitors!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Hels
I have just had an email from our Solicitor in the UK. This one firm has handled my FIL's estate for us and has handled the sale of the house in the UK for us. They made a killing on the house sale as we had 3 buyers and they charged us for all 3, even when 2 pulled out of the sale.

NOW.....They are handling one final job for us that has been running since January. They quoted us a price back in January before we ok'd them to start and have now advised us in an email dated 4/5/05 that from the 1/5/05 their rates would increase.

Am I right in assuming that as they quoted us a price when we first started this particular job that we shouldnt now expect a price increase? Especially as they are notifying us AFTER the date of implementation of the increase?

Hels

I'd suggest you check the small print in your original contract Hels - I know that for bank charges the increase had to be pre-notified (14 or 21 days depending on the terms usually).

good luck, like most things they probably have themselves covered
Old May 6th 2005, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

Stu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the rough

Hels
They will normally only give an estimate on the work to be done so the rate may change. If you're unhappy, you can always check with the Solicitors Complaints Bureau (I can't remember what the no is) for the right answer.
Old May 6th 2005, 4:49 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I doubt very much whether you were given a fixed price quotation but you never know - check the paperwork. HOwever, as to charging you for 2 abortive sales - if they did the work then they are entitled to be paid.
Old May 6th 2005, 5:16 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vanessa
Yes I doubt very much whether you were given a fixed price quotation but you never know - check the paperwork. HOwever, as to charging you for 2 abortive sales - if they did the work then they are entitled to be paid.
Hi Vanessa,

I do understand that they are entitled to be paid, doesnt make it any easier though.

As for the quote, I guess I should have been a little clearer. What they gave me was a cost per hour. Not a quote for the whole job. What they have now put up is the hourly rate which is what I am not impressed about.

Surely if they give you an hourly rate for a job, that rate should apply for the job?

I dont begrudge anyone reviewing the charges they have, but if you have current jobs, shouldnt the originally quoted hourly rate still apply and the new rates apply to new jobs?

Hels
Old May 6th 2005, 8:04 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Vanessa,

I do understand that they are entitled to be paid, doesnt make it any easier though.

As for the quote, I guess I should have been a little clearer. What they gave me was a cost per hour. Not a quote for the whole job. What they have now put up is the hourly rate which is what I am not impressed about.

Surely if they give you an hourly rate for a job, that rate should apply for the job?

I dont begrudge anyone reviewing the charges they have, but if you have current jobs, shouldnt the originally quoted hourly rate still apply and the new rates apply to new jobs?

Hels

Errr No! They've probably just had their financial year end so will have reviewed their hourly rates. You should have had a "Client Care Letter" from them at the beginning of the transaction and this should have a provision for their charging rates to be reviewed on an annual basis.
Old May 6th 2005, 8:15 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

I think you need to seek professional advice.

Only kidding
As someone else said - check the contract you have with them. You may also want to contact he Law Society (by email hopefully) and check what they think.

I heard once that there was a tragedy when a bus load of solicitors went off the end of a cliff. The tragedy was that there was still an empty seat on the bus.

Cheers
Alistair
Old May 6th 2005, 8:16 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hels

i expect the original quote they gave would have been qualifidied with "as long as matter runs smoothly and no complications arise etc etc" they can then turn round further down the line and say it was more protracted than they originally thought and so need to charge more etc etc. the usual thing. but if they are saying that their fees in general have gone up then no, they cant do that to you. threaten then with the law society and say you want breakdown of fees and charges. im sure they will reduce their fees if you are really pissed off. remember - Law Society!!!! :scared:

and as for the abortive sales, the first sale would have been conract and supporting document preparation and they only need to do this once, any subsequent changes/sales merely a case of sending out original documents to another firm - charges should reflect this - they dont have to do the work all over again as contract already prepared.