Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sold house before visa please help!!!

Sold house before visa please help!!!

Old Aug 25th 2006, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of
Default Re: Sold house before visa please help!!!

We found having the visas and not being able to sell the house stressful as well so much so because we had to be in OZ before Oct 23 and with the housing market so slow at the time we got here on 21st Oct so just made it. At least you should not have to go through another winter, mind you winter here some nights got down to 4 degrees .Good luck . Darren
Old Aug 25th 2006, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

A year ago we'd never have seen a thread like this. Then their was a list of how many of us were struggling to sell our homes and how we may not be able to move in time.

We were able to rent our property in the UK and then sold it to the tenants which was great but a complete administrative nightmare and even more stressful than a normal sale as we hadn't been working here and only had enough cash for another 3 months if we didn't confirm sale. Scary.

Anyway the luxury I would enjoy in your situation is to put all your effects together while you can.

You get a great opportunity to spend time with your dad with none of the responsibilities of paying bills, sorting out insurances, etc and plenty of time to set up your new lives. Try sorting out bank accounts, start choosing where you'd like to settle or start off your journey and look at schools and employment opportunities.

You'll have no need to call the uk to sort out stuff like solicitors, mortgages and direct debits (I had so many problems with my one account they ended up paying me £150 compensation even though they knew I'd never take an account with them again).

So all the best with the visa (they also seem to be going through much quicker these days) and enjoy collecting all those rebates (tv licence, insurance, council tax,...).

Good luck.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steven and Jackie
I know exacly how you feel. We're coming over to Sydney on a company sponsored 457 visa. I was told that it would only take 4-6 weeks as the company was aleady registered to sponsor. I have now sold my house and the buyers want to move in on 20th October. I have since found out that the visa can take 3 months to come through, it was lodged a month ago.
We havent been for x rays yet and I'm a bit jittery that we'll have to move out before our visa is through. Not quite desperate yet.
Let us know how you get on.

Steven
I contacted the agent and suggested to him about medicals.

He said "good idea", gave me a list and it was 2 weeks before the first appointment was available. Once we had that though we got the visa a couple of weeks before my husband needed to go. He'd been offered the job mid March and was expected to start mid May. so they can be very quick. Presumably you've been able to give them all the other paperwork like birth, marriage, divorce certs already.

I wouldn't panic just yet.
Old Aug 26th 2006, 8:37 am
Account Closed

conat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Willij
Thanks Conat,

All the best come the 16th. At least the children will be back in school as well then.

Thanks, fingers X'd, might be doing it ourselves.

Our 5 year old has just started school (21st Aug), bless.... he is SO happy and looks very handsome in his little uniform, our youngest (he's 4) is back at nursery so I have a few hours a day to organise everything

Hope you exchange/complete soon
Old Aug 26th 2006, 8:40 am
Account Closed

conat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stacey and jordan
Well house sale still going through got the surveyor coming out on Tuesday. Still looking at completion date for 6th Oct, then going back home to live with my dad. Spoke to Crown and the are going to store our furniture for us. Just hope we get our Visa's soon. Meds been sent just waiting for PCC to come back. Kids go back to school in a week and a half (yippee)so i can start cleaning ready for our stuff to be packed. Got this really strange feeling in the bottom of my stomach, i'm absolutely bricking it but really excited at the same time. In 5 weeks i'm going to be HOMELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thankyou for all your replies.

Stacey xx
Thats great Stacey, its all coming together.

Good luck again and enjoy your time with your dad
Old Aug 26th 2006, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stacey and jordan
Has anyone sold and moved out before they had there visa's.

We put our house on the market thinking it would take ages to sell we had already decided that if we didn't get our visa then we would move anyway. It has sold to cash buyers who wants to be in by the beginning of Oct. My dad said we can go and stay with him whilst we wait for our visa's. Starting to get a little stressed now as nothing is straight forward. Don't know if/when we will have our visa it was Ack 4th April, medicals done just waiting for police checks too come back so we can send them off.

My worries are not sure what to put on the 1022 form, the address i'm in at the moment or my dads address. How does storing your furniture work is it per week or month(going with crown). When you send your passport off to be stamped do they ask for an address again to send it back to.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Stacey xx
We sold before we had our visa - we had the shippers in and they stored it all for us (we paid weekly) and we rented a furnished house here. It's worked out pretty well