Solar RECS

Old Mar 12th 2008, 3:11 am
Account Closed

graz79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Solar RECS

Has anyone had any experience of these?

Our solar hot water is 20 yrs old so coming to the end of it's life. We have been informed we are not eligble for the solar grant as that only applies to installing solar to replace another method i.e. Gas (go figure)

We have been told that the RECS http://www.orer.gov.au/recs/index.html allow you to sell back energy credits to relieve some of the costs of running/installing the system but the websites do not actually explain how they work or what you can expect back.

Has anyone used/experienced these who can offer advice or guidelines.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Solar RECS

My understanding is that selling back energy only relates to solar energy panels not hot water systems....

Is your current solar hot water system gas or electric boosted? Just wondering if it's electric boosted maybe you could investigate getting RECs for replacing it with a gas boosted system? Just a thought...
Old Mar 12th 2008, 4:20 am
Account Closed

graz79 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been told by someone at energy.sa.gov that it counts for any solar that is offsetting from carbon, although he may be wrong. hence trying to find out on here
Old Mar 13th 2008, 7:23 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

RECs are Renewable Energy Certificates, you produce these by having solar hot water and they have a value.

It may be that your solar hot water seller (such as SOLAHART) may already price this (subisdy) into the price they charge you, suggest you check with a vendor.

Completely seprate issue is solar panels with feein tariffs to the grid. I believe in SA you get something like 44c/KWh for excess energy you produce.

I think you are after solar hot water so yes RECs are relevant, there is a traded market in them but not entirely sure ho residential customers access that value, as I say proabbly via your seller of the system