Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Socceroos New Home

Socceroos New Home

Old Feb 14th 2003, 5:56 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Socceroos New Home

Even the Sccceroos prefer the UK to Australia says it all , the arse end of the world is too far from anywhere.

An announcement is expected next week on the Socceroos' plans to play "home" games in London, the first of which could be next month, while coach Frank Farina was also planning two matches in Australia at the end of the European season.

"We're hoping we are able to set up a base in England. We'd like to have two or three games a year here, if that can happen that'd be great.

Farina and Soccer Australia officials were staying in London to hold talks with England's Football Association and several premiership clubs, including West Ham, Chelsea and Spurs, on finding a home ground.

All of last night's 18-man Socceroo squad are based in Europe.

"It's logical, the majority of our players are based in Britain," he said.

Old Feb 14th 2003, 7:02 am
up the boro!

denhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant future
Default Re: Socceroos New Home

Originally posted by pommie bastard

that says it all really...why have your squad travel all the way to the other side of the world to play 90 minutes of football. most managers wouldn`t allow it. the big teams like man u and arsenal dont even like releasing some of there stars for 45 minutes of football!!! it just makes sence for them to hold matches in england.
Old Feb 14th 2003, 7:12 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by denhim
that says it all really...why have your squad travel all the way to the other side of the world to play 90 minutes of football. most managers wouldn`t allow it. the big teams like man u and arsenal dont even like releasing some of there stars for 45 minutes of football!!! it just makes sence for them to hold matches in england.
Yes but why do none of these players play in Australia , some have never even played for an Australian Pro team in fact its a team of immigrants and expats ?
How many of the England team play abroad , plus I can understand why the big clubs did not like releasing their players at this time of year to play a no count friendly against a no count team.

Old Feb 14th 2003, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road

Even the Sccceroos prefer the UK to Australia says it all , the arse end of the world is too far from anywhere.

An announcement is expected next week on the Socceroos' plans to play "home" games in London, the first of which could be next month, while coach Frank Farina was also planning two matches in Australia at the end of the European season.

"We're hoping we are able to set up a base in England. We'd like to have two or three games a year here, if that can happen that'd be great.

Farina and Soccer Australia officials were staying in London to hold talks with England's Football Association and several premiership clubs, including West Ham, Chelsea and Spurs, on finding a home ground.

I can't believe they're looking as far away as Spurs and Arsenal - there must be a park in Earls Court they can use. After all they'd be guaranteed a home crowd of at least 500,000. Oh for the smell of barbie smoke over London!!
Old Feb 14th 2003, 3:17 pm
Testing

Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

One word: money.

There's more of it in footie here than in Oz. Just as any english aussie rules footie player would travel over there if he wanted to cash in.

Paul

Yes but why do none of these players play in Australia , some have never even played for an Australian Pro team in fact its a team of immigrants and expats ?
How many of the England team play abroad , plus I can understand why the big clubs did not like releasing their players at this time of year to play a no count friendly against a no count team.

Old Feb 14th 2003, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

captaincook is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to say i am starting to feel sorry for the ozzies. They seem to be losing the plot when it comes to sport.

In Friday's Herald there was a big pull out spread "The socceroos have laid bare the last vestiges of England's football colonialism, the comprehensive victory at Upton Park silencing a century of patronising arrogance" Well I think that proves australia needs to get a life - enjoy your victory but get some perspective - most English will be surprised to learn we still consider ourselves Colonial and if there a race more humble than your average Englishman I would like to meet them.

At the same time the socceroos were beating a disinterested England in a friendly game one of their greatest sporting icons shane warne stands accused of talking masking agents to cover up performance enhancing drugs and most people here just dont want to believe it and are now blaming his Mum !
Old Feb 14th 2003, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by captaincook
I have to say i am starting to feel sorry for the ozzies. They seem to be losing the plot when it comes to sport.

In Friday's Herald there was a big pull out spread "The socceroos have laid bare the last vestiges of England's football colonialism, the comprehensive victory at Upton Park silencing a century of patronising arrogance" Well I think that proves australia needs to get a life - enjoy your victory but get some perspective - most English will be surprised to learn we still consider ourselves Colonial and if there a race more humble than your average Englishman I would like to meet them.

At the same time the socceroos were beating a disinterested England in a friendly game one of their greatest sporting icons shane warne stands accused of talking masking agents to cover up performance enhancing drugs and most people here just dont want to believe it and are now blaming his Mum !
Yes, what a ludicrous over reaction.......somewhat like the Norwegian commentator who started banging on about Winston Churchill etc! when they eventually beat us at Wembley. What has happened to Norwegian football since then? ! I have loved/followed football all of my life, along with all of my friends, and I would think we are the most pessimistic and cynical supporters in the world, not the most arrogant! Jesus, what have we ever won since '66? Not a good reflection on Ozzie journalism.
Old Feb 15th 2003, 4:12 am
Forum Regular

dpr21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by captaincook

I have to agree with you on the football. However not all the papers are full of this rubbish. The Weekend Australian makes exactly the same point as you saying that it needs to be taken in perspective. They go on by saying it is analogous to Steve Waugh being bowled out first ball by some new young club bowler. Great for the bowler who will probably dine out on the story for a long time, irritating for Waugh (for a short while) but not of great significance. BUT it'll irritate PB!!

Disagree with you on Warne, people are hoping it isn't true as they enjoy him for his ability and entertainment value. But most of my Oz compatriots in WA (Perth) are pretty certain he is guilty of doping. However don't get too smug a top UK athlete (I think it is Perris? - the shot putter) has been banned for life having very recently been bust for the second time.

Personally having been involved in high level sport in SA, UK (not here yet - as a physio) and having a good acquaintance as a rep to the IOC doping committee - it is a huge problem because of the money in sport and despite 'all' the testing etc it is rife everywhere. For starters, not enough FREQUENT random testing is done. It would appear they don't really want to bust a significant proportion of the world's top athletes in many different sports.
Old Feb 16th 2003, 10:46 pm
Banned

Originally posted by Monkey
One word: money.

There's more of it in footie here than in Oz. Just as any english aussie rules footie player would travel over there if he wanted to cash in.

Paul
Spot on I mean Aussie Rules is a world sport leagues in well let think me , just Australia so a why would any one play it anywhere else?
Plus the fact a well paid Football player in the Uk earns more in 2 weeks than some of the best Aussie Rules players earn in a year , so it beggers the question would you want to play this game if you could do well at soccer which is played by more people than any other game in Australia.
I did follow Perth Glory here and they got average gates of 16,000 the biggest club in Australia even though the standard was low I enjoyed going down there was even kop called the shed singing Pom chants , but when your star player decides Stockport County has got more to offer I gave up the national leagues going nowhere here thanks to the Medias Pro ALF bull.

Old Feb 17th 2003, 5:37 pm
up the boro!

denhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant future

but when your star player decides Stockport County has got more to offer I gave up the national leagues going nowhere here thanks to the Medias Pro ALF bull.

it all depends what you go for. do you follow football because you like the sport or just because your team always wins? personaly i love watching football regardless who is playing, whether its my team `the boro` or the local pub playing on a sunday morning.
i just love football so no dowt i`ll be giving my all to the glory, even if it is like watching the mackems....
Old Feb 17th 2003, 10:44 pm
Banned

Originally posted by denhim
it all depends what you go for. do you follow football because you like the sport or just because your team always wins? personaly i love watching football regardless who is playing, whether its my team `the boro` or the local pub playing on a sunday morning.
i just love football so no dowt i`ll be giving my all to the glory, even if it is like watching the mackems....
The Glory wins most weeks because the teams they play are so poor but always fail at the final , I object to paying to watching substandard dross and paying $4.5 a 375 ml can for a weak beer, the boro are light years a head of these boys .
The crowds have dropped off because its a pointless league and most are bored of it .