Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

So what's a pokie???

So what's a pokie???

Old Mar 5th 2004, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

stevejohna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default So what's a pokie???

Just read the thread about a bogan (i had wondered), but what the hells a pokie???
They don't sound too popular whatever they are.
Old Mar 5th 2004, 8:00 pm
4-1,4-1 i love it,love it

Arron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: So what's a pokie???

[QUOTE]Originally posted by stevejohna
Just read the thread about a bogan (i had wondered), but what the hells a pokie???
The don't sound too popular whatever they are. [/QUOT

Hi, I think they're fruit machines.
Old Mar 5th 2004, 8:02 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by stevejohna
Pokies are a form of fruit machine which infest nearly every Australian pub or club.They play a form of poker and are the reason a lot of people don't go into pubs.
They make a lot of money for the owners though.

Get used to TAB as well.This is a system whereby many pubs are like a Bookmaker's shop.You can bet on Horse racing,dogs etc. without leaving the Bar.They are usually accompanied by a row of televisions showing live racing from different states.

G
Old Mar 5th 2004, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

we wondered what they were while we were there.

Could have been something that is a bit more exciting - given our user name!!!!!!!!

cheers
pockygoes
Old Mar 5th 2004, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Government revenue raiser, particarly popular with the lower classes of OZ who stuff billions of dollars in them. Free childcare available to 10pm to encourage battlers and povs to loose their wages or pay back the govvy the dole cheque. Free buses past retirement villages to get back the pension. Biggest day for takings Fri and Sat nights followed by Welfare pay days.

Before you ask:

Battler, dole bludger.

Povvy, low income earner with no desire to better itself.
Old Mar 5th 2004, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

stevejohna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dotty
Government revenue raiser, particarly popular with the lower classes of OZ who stuff billions of dollars in them. Free childcare available to 10pm to encourage battlers and povs to loose their wages or pay back the govvy the dole cheque. Free buses past retirement villages to get back the pension. Biggest day for takings Fri and Sat nights followed by Welfare pay days.

Before you ask:

Battler, dole bludger.

Povvy, low income earner with no desire to better itself.
Figured out povvy no bother, but never heard of battler (i'm assuming 'dole bludger' means claiming dole whilst working???)
Thought 'pokie' was referring to a type of person from some posts.
i.e. 'its full of pokies down there'.

Cheers
Stevejohna
Old Mar 5th 2004, 8:42 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

A battler is a glorified worker who bareley earns enough to support their family. They are supposed to know their position in society and stay there. It is politically convenient to rally the battler rather than work on improving their lot.

The pokies are a multi billion dollar industry that obtains most of its money from problem gamblers. A large chunk of state revenue is dependant on pokie taxes. That means it is politically difficult to do anything regarding problem gamblers.

The clubs that operate the pokies are wonderful gravy trains for the board of directors who award all sorts of contracts to family firms. To make themselves politically acceptable the clubs donate a small proportion of their profits to charity and the community.

The main difference between a fruit machine and a pokie is amount you can gamble in a second. Pokie machines take $50 notes.

The families that are victims of pokies have similiar tales to those who have an alcoholic and the top.
Old Mar 5th 2004, 10:19 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Pokies in Vic take $100 notes
Old Mar 5th 2004, 10:23 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Bordy
Pokies in Vic take $100 notes
Pokies take food from kids mouths and puts dollars in a Minister's super scheme.
Old Mar 5th 2004, 11:20 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

And kill any atmosphere there ever was in the pubs.
Old Mar 5th 2004, 11:37 pm
ABCDiamond

Pokies (Poker Machines).

The average PROFIT per pokie in QLD last year was close to $38,000 !!

I read this in last weekends paper, and the first thing I thought is where can I buy one !!!

Each place that has them will have 10,20 or 30 or even more of them.

This country has a gambling addiction. But, you dont need to join in It's not compulsory, yet !!

Edit:

Actual info. (I found the paper)

QLD has 38,164 pokie machines
Each one rakes in average profit of $36,400 per year
Official statistics say that Pokie machine players lost $1.39 billion last year.

The QLD government got $374.9 Million in pokie machine tax last year.

The gambling help line number is 1800 222 050

Last edited by ABCDiamond; Mar 5th 2004 at 11:44 pm.

Old Mar 5th 2004, 11:54 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I thoouugt twas thuum in yer eyye
Old Mar 6th 2004, 12:28 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Pokies (Poker Machines).

The average PROFIT per pokie in QLD last year was close to $38,000 !!

I read this in last weekends paper, and the first thing I thought is where can I buy one !!!

Each place that has them will have 10,20 or 30 or even more of them.

This country has a gambling addiction. But, you dont need to join in It's not compulsory, yet !!

Edit:

Actual info. (I found the paper)

QLD has 38,164 pokie machines
Each one rakes in average profit of $36,400 per year
Official statistics say that Pokie machine players lost $1.39 billion last year.

The QLD government got $374.9 Million in pokie machine tax last year.

The gambling help line number is 1800 222 050
All returns are governed by legislation. All pokies and other electronic gaming machines are designed to deliver the required return to the punter. There is no luck...only algorithms...
Old Mar 6th 2004, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

Dawn Adams will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Grayling
Pokies are a form of fruit machine which infest nearly every Australian pub or club.They play a form of poker and are the reason a lot of people don't go into pubs.

G
Pokies are not legal in Western Australia.
Old Mar 6th 2004, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

unrefined_mind is on a distinguished road

but what the hells a pokie???
Download your PC Pokie Here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.