Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

So whats the plan when we get there???!!

So whats the plan when we get there???!!

Old Mar 4th 2007, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

aussiewannabe has a brilliant futureaussiewannabe has a brilliant futureaussiewannabe has a brilliant futureaussiewannabe has a brilliant futureaussiewannabe has a brilliant futureaussiewannabe has a brilliant future
Default So whats the plan when we get there???!!

Hi all,

This question is really directed at you lucky people that have already made it over there and are settling in/loving it etc.
We_ Hubby, 3 girls 10,7, 3 and me, are coming to Brisbane around May (providing house doesn't fall through again!).-fingers, toes and anything else crossed!!
I was just wondering if there was any advice you could give us about what we should be doing when we first arrive, obviously scouting about for suburb choice, job, rental, schools etc but what did you do to keep yourselves and the kids happy and sane during this stressful time?

Was there anything/ anywhere you wish you hadn't done?
Was there anything you wish you had done, thinking back?

We havent been out before as we couldnt afford to, so will be doing it all on a tiny budget, have done loads of research on the net- crazy you may say, but we have "the calling"!!
Have got a full visa, hubby is an electrician.
Sorry if this is too personal I just thought it would be nice to know and make it as smooth as poss for the kids.... and us!!

Thanks in advance for any input,

The Lees.

P.s i'm so excited and scared that my normal, calm, rational self has long since left the building!!!
Old Mar 4th 2007, 10:03 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So whats the plan when we get there???!!

Find out for your husband NOW as to what the regulations are concerning his trade and obtaining his licence. Realise that he cant step off the plane and start work until thats dont. Perhaps contact the relevent trades associations to ease and perhaps speed the process, meaning you've got less downtime earning no money.

One very major thing I wish I had done. Brought more Bisto gravy with me
Old Mar 4th 2007, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

aussiewannabe has a brilliant futureaussiewannabe has a brilliant futureaussiewannabe has a brilliant futureaussiewannabe has a brilliant futureaussiewannabe has a brilliant futureaussiewannabe has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Centurion
Find out for your husband NOW as to what the regulations are concerning his trade and obtaining his licence. Realise that he cant step off the plane and start work until thats dont. Perhaps contact the relevent trades associations to ease and perhaps speed the process, meaning you've got less downtime earning no money.

One very major thing I wish I had done. Brought more Bisto gravy with me
Thanks will get the other half on the job!
Are you electrician? Was it hard on small wage? and were there many people willing to hire you? Sorry torrent of questions!!!

Should I take tea bags?!!
Old Mar 4th 2007, 10:35 pm
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by aussiewannabe
Thanks will get the other half on the job!
Are you electrician? Was it hard on small wage? and were there many people willing to hire you? Sorry torrent of questions!!!

Hi guys, i suggest your other half has a look in the electricians section on this forum. He has a long road ahead of him im afraid to say!
Stu
Old Mar 4th 2007, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Some light reading for your OH

Electrician's forum:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97

ARTC application:
http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...nresidents.htm

Queensland Licencing info:
http://www.dir.qld.gov.au/electrical...ning/licences/

http://www.sd.qld.gov.au/dsdweb/htdocs/slol/
Old Mar 5th 2007, 12:57 am
A mile High

Location: Noosa, soon to be the US of A (for a little while anyway)
rebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to behold

Believe it or not, We actually have Tea Bags in Australia too, it is quite amazing really, how would have thought it
Old Mar 5th 2007, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

Jayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really nice

Hi all,

This question is really directed at you lucky people that have already made it over there and are settling in/loving it etc.
We_ Hubby, 3 girls 10,7, 3 and me, are coming to Brisbane around May (providing house doesn't fall through again!).-fingers, toes and anything else crossed!!
I was just wondering if there was any advice you could give us about what we should be doing when we first arrive, obviously scouting about for suburb choice, job, rental, schools etc but what did you do to keep yourselves and the kids happy and sane during this stressful time?

We havent been out before as we couldnt afford to, so will be doing it all on a tiny budget, have done loads of research on the net- crazy you may say, but we have "the calling"!!
Sorry if this is too personal I just thought it would be nice to know and make it as smooth as poss for the kids.... and us!!

The Lees.

P.s i'm so excited and scared that my normal, calm, rational self has long since left the building!!!
Hi Lees family!
You sound so excited, with all that enthusiasm your gonna do just fine. It's tough for a while, strange place, strange people (walking around bare foot...i've been here 3 years and still can't get my head round that one ) people are really friendly, you'll soon make friends...take time out, there are loads of places to go that really don't cost much money, the beaches are obviously a great choice (always swim between the flags ) Caloundra up north, Redcliff, Bribie Island, Southport down south, all have great picnic areas, playgrounds, BBQ facilites, some coin operated, sometimes free. Treat yourself to an icecream at the top of Mt Cootha, what a view! A favourite place of ours is Daisy Hill Koala Sanctuary, it has an info centre, and there's two koala's that live there, picnic area with free BBQ's the kids will love it. Anyway, I could go on for ever, perhaps I should get a job in tourism Good luck to you!
Jayne
Old Mar 5th 2007, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rebabaros
Believe it or not, We actually have Tea Bags in Australia too, it is quite amazing really, how would have thought it
Yes but are they those Lipton ones you get every where else in the world except the UK... you know, the ones you need to leave for ten minutes, wring out and squeeze until you are blue in the face just to get something that resembles gnats pee.... sorry if there are any liptons fans out there

I would imagine given the huge number of Brits in Aus that there would be loads of choice of tea, i mean it has only been around for a couple of hundred years or more
Old Mar 6th 2007, 10:03 am
A mile High

Location: Noosa, soon to be the US of A (for a little while anyway)
rebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by chrispy
Yes but are they those Lipton ones you get every where else in the world except the UK... you know, the ones you need to leave for ten minutes, wring out and squeeze until you are blue in the face just to get something that resembles gnats pee.... sorry if there are any liptons fans out there

I would imagine given the huge number of Brits in Aus that there would be loads of choice of tea, i mean it has only been around for a couple of hundred years or more
yes you can get Liptons, along with Tetley, Twinnings, Bushells, Dilmah, Nerada in all various strengths and flavours. I dont think anyone would have any problems finding tea over here.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Don't sign up for too long an initial house rental period. We signed up for a year thinking that we would give the kids stability but really we now want to buy our own place but are stuck with the rental for another 6 months
Old Mar 6th 2007, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

We aren't there yet so I can't offer any advice. Just wanted to wish you luck with the move.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

beebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nice

Hi all,

The Lees.

start looking for a rental as they are in short supply!! and get hubby out working so he can afford his courses for licence regulations
be a tourist for a couple of weeks and enjoy the different life and culture cos once you are working / in school etc there will never be enough time to go to all the fun places
Old Mar 11th 2007, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, to everyone who replied and thanks for these links they where really helpful. We will arrive may 4th ..........Brisbane here we come!!
The Lees
Old Mar 13th 2007, 11:13 am
Just Joined

Newbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really niceNewbie13 is just really nice

We have been here for ten weeks and this is what we have done so far........

Six weeks before moving here, my husband and I + our two year old son did a weekend reccie to find a suburb that we liked. (I had spent the previous six months looking for property and doing research on the internet).

When we arrived we drove a total of 650k just looking around a 20k radius of Brisbane CBD. We kept getting pulled back to Bellbowrie as you get a lot more for your money, (you can buy a large four bed detached on 1500m2 of land for approx gbp170).
The schools have a great rep, it has a good community feel, there is virtually no crime, it is on the bus route to CBD, The local shops have all your day to day needs and Indoorphilly shopping center is only a 20 min drive.

We have bought a house and move in the end of this month.

The other things that you need to do when you arrive and have decided on a suburb is:-

1. get a tax file number http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...1432.10.99.htm

2. open a bank account we went with the commonwealth but any of the big ones are ok, although watch for the charges, we got stung the first month as we were drawing money out of non commonwealth cashpoints.

3. get a medicare card you just walk in and they will take your details and post your card to you. (most are located in shopping centers) Check what you are covered for as you may need to top it up with private health insurance.

4. buy phone cards from newsagents so you can phone home most are 5c per minute, you might be able to get cheeper.

5. buy a sim card for your mobile phone, I got a $30 Vodaphone one as I did not want to commit to a 24month plan until I had worked out the best provider.

6. Buy a car, the salesmen have all been sent to the same school of learning so be prepared to get frustrated, I wanted a nearly new car (1 - 2 years old) but the price is almost the same as a new one, In the end I got what I wanted through someone I had met, who knew someone who was selling a car. Cominsure were great for insurance they were half the price of all the others that I phoned.

7. Build a network, this is the hardest......my husband went off to work on day three and I was left to get on with it!! luckily I have a two year old so parks, shops etc.... are a good place to meet people.

I hope this has helped, let me know if you need any more of my limited knowledge.

V
Old Mar 15th 2007, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Newbie13
We have been here for ten weeks and this is what we have done so far........

Six weeks before moving here, my husband and I + our two year old son did a weekend reccie to find a suburb that we liked. (I had spent the previous six months looking for property and doing research on the internet).

When we arrived we drove a total of 650k just looking around a 20k radius of Brisbane CBD. We kept getting pulled back to Bellbowrie as you get a lot more for your money, (you can buy a large four bed detached on 1500m2 of land for approx gbp170).
The schools have a great rep, it has a good community feel, there is virtually no crime, it is on the bus route to CBD, The local shops have all your day to day needs and Indoorphilly shopping center is only a 20 min drive.

We have bought a house and move in the end of this month.

The other things that you need to do when you arrive and have decided on a suburb is:-

1. get a tax file number http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...1432.10.99.htm

2. open a bank account we went with the commonwealth but any of the big ones are ok, although watch for the charges, we got stung the first month as we were drawing money out of non commonwealth cashpoints.

3. get a medicare card you just walk in and they will take your details and post your card to you. (most are located in shopping centers) Check what you are covered for as you may need to top it up with private health insurance.

4. buy phone cards from newsagents so you can phone home most are 5c per minute, you might be able to get cheeper.

5. buy a sim card for your mobile phone, I got a $30 Vodaphone one as I did not want to commit to a 24month plan until I had worked out the best provider.

6. Buy a car, the salesmen have all been sent to the same school of learning so be prepared to get frustrated, I wanted a nearly new car (1 - 2 years old) but the price is almost the same as a new one, In the end I got what I wanted through someone I had met, who knew someone who was selling a car. Cominsure were great for insurance they were half the price of all the others that I phoned.

7. Build a network, this is the hardest......my husband went off to work on day three and I was left to get on with it!! luckily I have a two year old so parks, shops etc.... are a good place to meet people.

I hope this has helped, let me know if you need any more of my limited knowledge.

V

Thanks so much for this reply, it really helps to hear other peoples who are doing the same thing. We fly out May 2nd, we have booked with brisbane bound, ive heard loads of good things about them and they were recommended by our emigration company, so im hoping they will help us. Like you mentioned I think the kids will help with making friends.

Im still really worried about creepy crawleys,have you had any encounters yet, if so were they as bad as you thought?
I know they are a part of Australian life and bugs dont bother me here, Im just worried for the kids mainly the 3 year old, shes far too brave for her own good!!!

Thanks again

Vikki

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.