Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

So much heartache on BE

So much heartache on BE

Old May 7th 2008, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

TrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant future
Default So much heartache on BE

I have been researching previous threads trying to find a way that my daughters boyfriend can come to Australia with us when we return in July.

Surprisingly (to me) this is a common problem - boyfriend or girlfriend.

What saddened me was how many threads I read that were filled with sadness, heartache and the raw emotion that families bring. Surprise at how many expats have 'family issues' with sons and daughters (mainly teenagers) and more often than not all caused by the 'emigrating to Australia' issue. There are some real sad stories buried in this website.

As a family we have all had alot of stress attached to this emigrating lark. In my opinion it is the hardest thing that we have tried to do - ever. It is so difficult to 'up sticks' lock stock and barrell and then try to set a whole new life in motion in a land and culture that is all new to you. You are out of your 'comfort zone' as the saying goes. Stress and emotions play havoc with your mind. Yet so many others do seem to make the move seemlessly.

Don't mean to depress anybody out there, so on a positive note, there is so much 'can do' attitude in these threads too. A determination to succeed. Is this typical of the type of characters that we all are?? A 'get up and go' attitude? "I get knocked down but I get up again". My wife always says she wants to 'see what is around the next corner' never happy to sit where you are!!!

So for you ladies out there who like to read a good old weepy - no need to buy another 'love story' paperback - just research some threads on here and keep the tissue box by your side.

Jeez I am a miserable bugger tonight.

Last edited by TrickyTrev; May 7th 2008 at 10:19 pm.
Old May 7th 2008, 10:58 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So much heartache on BE

There is a tremendous amount of heartache in this forum, migration can be an incredibly tough thing to do. True, it can also go seamlessly for some.

There is much heartache in life in general though, it's just you see it more here because it's related to something you're actually going through.

You are right though, there are some amazing success stories here too, some fantastically positive posts. Again, as in general life, there are some amazing success stories

I am continually amazed how some people just continue to dust themselves off and get back up after every knock down. That 'strength' is something really quite remarkable.

Heartache is an awful thing and BE has had me in tears far too many times
Old May 8th 2008, 4:30 pm
jce
Forum Regular

jce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to all

I think the key is your mindset about emigrating. Is it something you want to do or are you running away from something? As another thread said, is it the push from the UK or the pull from Oz?

There are some sad stories in here, none more so involving ex partners trying to stop the process but some great stories of determination especially those same people

For us the process was easy in that i've long since had nothing to do with my family and my partners family were positive about her coming out here. They took the view that it is our life and we should lead it the way we want to. I do have difficulty understanding why parents and relatives resort to emotional blackmail to stop it. My family did try that but to me that shows more about them and their selfishness rather than anything to do with love.

We also had an easy application process that was uncomlicated and could just afford to come here and live. We were lucky in that respect as well but emigrating is a BIG thing and should never be underestimated.

They may speak the same language here (just) but culturaly its more than several oceans apart and takes some getting used to.

Its also not the land of cheapness and easy life. About the only thing i can see thats cheaper is car fuel. There are the odd thing here and there but overall i'd say that most things are more expensive although is some cases you get a little more for your money - like houses

Work is work anywhere so if you are running away from a crap job then one here could be just as crap.

Not being negative just realistic and i think that if you go into the process with realism and arent running away from something then you'll make a success of it
Old May 8th 2008, 5:21 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

The stories on expats can make you cry or make you howl with laughter.
There is a real sense of "community" here and in my opinion that's why it's such a great site.
As in all communities there's such a mix of people and always something going on
Old May 8th 2008, 6:24 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

I really have to agree with all that was said Ive also cried and laughed and received great support and advice on BE doesn't matter were we come from we are all here together with one goal to try our hands at a new life