Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

so called friends

so called friends

Old Nov 5th 2005, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

monkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant future
Default so called friends

This my sound a bit wet but has anyone experienced the cold shoulder from so called friends. I say this because we are moving to Perth on the 4th of dec and my so called friends have all said they are coming to our leaving do yet they seem to be going out on other nights all together without so much as a "what are you to up to at the weekend" type of thing. Being a 40 year old you think you know people and hopefully id like to think im a likable kind of guy yet do you think they shun you because your making the move to hopefully a better life.
Perhaps im just feeling the emotional pinch so to speak. I have to say with all thats going on you'd think thay would make more of an effort perhaps its just me. I dont go on about it all the time, feel a bit pushed out but hey im the one thats going I suppose they are the ones stuck in ol blighty what with the onslaught of winter coming on. Anyway just wondered, the thing is never really had any probs with them all before. Thanks needed to get that off my chest. Passed my motorbike test wednesday got to say really looking forward to getting a bike out there, the roads the sun cant wait!!!!???.............Do you know none of them even asked me how i got on( go on say it you put your leg over) hahaha. perhaps its my crappy jokes!!!!...........
Old Nov 5th 2005, 1:31 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: so called friends

Originally Posted by monkeymark
This my sound a bit wet but has anyone experienced the cold shoulder from so called friends. I say this because we are moving to Perth on the 4th of dec and my so called friends have all said they are coming to our leaving do yet they seem to be going out on other nights all together without so much as a "what are you to up to at the weekend" type of thing. Being a 40 year old you think you know people and hopefully id like to think im a likable kind of guy yet do you think they shun you because your making the move to hopefully a better life.
Perhaps im just feeling the emotional pinch so to speak. I have to say with all thats going on you'd think thay would make more of an effort perhaps its just me. I dont go on about it all the time, feel a bit pushed out but hey im the one thats going I suppose they are the ones stuck in ol blighty what with the onslaught of winter coming on. Anyway just wondered, the thing is never really had any probs with them all before. Thanks needed to get that off my chest. Passed my motorbike test wednesday got to say really looking forward to getting a bike out there, the roads the sun cant wait!!!!???.............Do you know none of them even asked me how i got on( go on say it you put your leg over) hahaha. perhaps its my crappy jokes!!!!...........
They're just jealous

Good Luck with your move.
Julie
Old Nov 5th 2005, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on passing your test .

As for your friends, they are probably being thoughtless unintentionally. If you are leaving soon maybe they think that you are too busy to go out with them or something.

Try not to let it get you down. At least they are all coming to your leaving party . Your true friends will stay in touch whenyou go. Maybe the whole migrating thing is a good way to weed out who your real mates are!

Tracey
Old Nov 5th 2005, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

monkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Juliecabs
They're just jealous

Good Luck with your move.
Julie
id like to think so but it doesent change who i am, but hey new friends new life! thanks
Old Nov 5th 2005, 1:36 pm
sheila and joe

joe and sheila will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=monkeymark]QUOTE]

you know what -- you just have to wait and see now -- we had some people who made a really tremendous effort to see us off at our leaving do and then there were others who just didn't bother their arses and we were really surprised ( and --- if truth be told disappointed) but we decided at the end of the day it was their loss not to have taken the oppurtunity to say their goodbyes -- its too late now -- we also made a concious decision not to let it bother us -- whats the point -- we had such a fab leaving do -- why let it be marred by a negative??? so -- do what u need to do to organise and invite everyone and just dont worry about it -- those who come will and others simply wont!! --- hope u have a great time -- remember think of the positives and leave the negatives to someone else
Old Nov 5th 2005, 1:36 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Congratulations on passing your motorbike test Enjoy the Oz open roads and sunshine
Old Nov 5th 2005, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

id like to think so but it doesent change who i am, but hey new friends new life! thanks
Sound like a load of pommie wowsers to me.
Old Nov 5th 2005, 1:37 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

No you're right, it doesn't change you at all. But as Tracey just said, real friends will stay in touch with you wherever you are in the world.
Just wait and see how many of them ask to come and stay with you once you're settled in Oz.
So many people have said to me that they can't wait to visit us, but I wonder how many of them actually will.
Old Nov 5th 2005, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

hilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond repute

Like Tracey says its probably unintentional.
If it were me Id invite myself
Hilary
Old Nov 5th 2005, 10:07 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

It just makes your friends look at their lives and be reminded that they arent quite so adventurous.
Old Nov 5th 2005, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

geary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to allgeary11 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
It just makes your friends look at their lives and be reminded that they arent quite so adventurous.
defiantly! they are all just jealous!
Old Nov 5th 2005, 11:00 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Juliecabs
No you're right, it doesn't change you at all. But as Tracey just said, real friends will stay in touch with you wherever you are in the world.
Just wait and see how many of them ask to come and stay with you once you're settled in Oz.
So many people have said to me that they can't wait to visit us, but I wonder how many of them actually will.

This really caught my eye: point 1) you'll be surprised how, after time, even real friends slow down on the communication front. The not so real friends just slip away quickly. It's all a bit hurtful really but it happens to lot's of folk here.
point2) lot's of people were so excited about coming to stay with us and promised to keep in touch. They haven't and they don't!

It's just you will be out of sight, out of mind. Don't forget the reality is this: you will be living at least 12,000 miles (or is it k's?) away. At least an 18 hour flight, and for some that's just way too long. Don't forget the costs too, very expensive for some people.

For the OP: We had the same as you happen. People started to 'let us go' while we were still in the UK. I thinks it's their way of getting on with life without you. Hurtful for you, but true. A lot of folk do feel envious of you too. You are doing something they perhaps want to do but won't. Your life is the one that's going to change, theirs will stay the same. Keep focused on making new friends once you're in Oz. They'll be the ones you need.
Old Nov 5th 2005, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Dont let it worry you, we had a great turn out for our going away do. But they dont all keep in touch, they are busy getting on with their own lives.
I think we will have friends coming over, and one of my friends is coming over to live , they miss us so much.
Y ou will make new friends. They might be planning a surprise. Denise
Old Nov 6th 2005, 12:00 am
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light

There could be several reasons why all this is happening.

One big one to consider is their underlying sense of being abandoned by YOU. Afterall, its you who is leaving not them and maybe some feel a bit bitter underneath. I know it is irrational but us humans are like that!

After 5yrs away from UK i only have one very good friend i still keep in contact with. When i lived there i considered my friend list to be around 15- 20 people. Going through this experience of being rejected and "fobbed" off is one of the early lessons learnt in the experience of emigration. I am happy that i learnt from it. These days i dont see new friends as forever or feel they have any sort of deeper meaning. I am more likely to enjoy the moment and the time we are together and see no further than that.

Maybe we think we are far more important to other people than we actually are.
Old Nov 6th 2005, 12:33 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

There is another side to the coin.

We have a list of friends waiting to come over....alongside family members...and ex work colleague's. Already in just over a year we have had two sets of family members for three months and one friend who arrived short notice for a month. And next year another two sets of people wanting to descend.....and the possibility of another couple.....and the list goes on....

Of course we are chuffed to bits that people can be arsed to come...but the other side is that it costs money to have guests, you go to places you've seen before [and pay for the priveledge]....it's knackering cos you are living real life and not on holiday ......and your own mates in Aus suffer cos you don't get to see them cos you're busy being a chauffeur to your guests

All that apart, I wouldn't have it any other way

Those that matter will stay in your lives through mutual respect and appreciation.

Those that don't bother are not worth thinking about.

Put them in the "dickhead" box in your head and move on.

Find genuine friends who are worthy of you

Good luck...and sod em...you've got a new life to look forward to

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.