Snobs

Old Oct 23rd 2003, 7:57 am
owieb

Default Re: Snobs

Originally posted by bundy
I worry that some people are going to get the shock of their lives down under. The fact that what you wear/look like/drive doesn't matter in Oz is one of the reasons I want to live there, and one of the reasons I've never felt happy in this super-materialistic country.
That is so spot on!

It is so funny seeing people turning up here and going and buying themselves a nice convertible merc or something. They instantly distance themselves from real life and I honestly believe it does make it hard for them.

Old Oct 23rd 2003, 7:57 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Larissa
Haven't seen anyone wearing one yet - shall I get hubby one? (te he he - he's not exactly the fashion concious sort!)
Not if he wants those tupperware or BBQ invites . I wish my hubby wasnt the fashion conscious sort, hes a clothes horse (or rather, he was, til I beat the yuppiness out of him ), he has so many pairs of shoes that I call him Imelda .

He has brand names I cant even pronounce LOL .

Bondi, now theres a niche market!
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 7:59 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I might stack a load in the suit case, buy some labels and flog em down Woking market next week.
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 8:00 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Yep! Saw 'em the day before yesterday in Portsmouth. Haven't seen anyone wearing one yet - shall I get hubby one? (te he he - he's not exactly the fashion concious sort!)

Bugger!!! THAT'S what we should have all bought to wear to the Pompey meet up!!! Would've made things a lot easier recognising each other!!!
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

Andiii is an unknown quantity at this point

PP -

I'm glad you said something. I, too, have noticed a certain snobishness.
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 8:17 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Not if he wants those tupperware or BBQ invites . I wish my hubby wasnt the fashion conscious sort, hes a clothes horse (or rather, he was, til I beat the yuppiness out of him ), he has so many pairs of shoes that I call him Imelda .

He has brand names I cant even pronounce LOL .

Bondi, now theres a niche market!
Here's me and my mates, on our horses, wearing our flannos...not a mobile or a lowered suspension in sight!
Attached Thumbnails Snobs-dag-flannos.jpg  
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 8:18 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

PP

I agree with you completely. I really don't think the average person growing up in Britain realises just how strong the class system is in the UK.

Classes exist in NZ, but to a much lesser extent. Some people in the major NZ cities like to keep up appearances as much as anywhere, but in the UK there is so much prejudged on what accent you have, what university you went to, where you go on holiday, what postcode you live in, what sport you follow, and what your 'upbringing' was like.

This is not so prevalent in NZ, and there's no 'working class' or 'middle class' as such. People judge you as you present yourself to them on the day - which is why CV's (schooling etc) are less important when job hunting.

So people may well find a lack of support for views they held proudly in the UK.

Then again, those that choose to live in Remuera or certain parts of Christchurch will be right at home.
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 8:19 am
owieb

Originally posted by bundy
Here's me and my mates, on our horses, wearing our flannos...not a mobile or a lowered suspension in sight!
I dunno, one of those horses has got 'go fast stripes' !

Old Oct 23rd 2003, 8:21 am
Goodpubmisser

A snob to one is a yob to another.

A loser in jail may be perceived as a winner by a drug addict.

I have found in general that inverted snobery is more rife than snobbery. As a sort of example, I used to live in Melborne and then I moved to Sydney.

Often when I went back to Melbourne for work taxi drivers etc would say "There is a lot of rivalry between Melbourne and Sydney". I did not tell them however that in general nobody in Sydney gives much thought to Melbourne - their rivalry is the product of being the underdog.

Melbourne is however now growing and becoming cosmopolitan.

Old Oct 23rd 2003, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by artep
Bugger!!! THAT'S what we should have all bought to wear to the Pompey meet up!!! Would've made things a lot easier recognising each other!!!
Darn it!
Plus, there was a mullet special on "The Salon" yesterday - had never seen it before but was fixated once I heard the word. Don't think I'll be watching again, unless there's more mullets!
For you in Aus - you missed the middle aged goth with the blue mullet... now, now, don't sob your hearts out! (She had it done pink and purple in the end, with the top "funked up" a bit!) Think she was a school librarian!
Larissa
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 8:27 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Well, first of all, I'm young, but I really really really hope I don't come across as a snob!

I'm now even more convinced I'm going to fit in (again) in Oz.
One of the first things I noticed when we came back to Holland was all the neat houses, expensive new cars, new clothes and groups of friends who all listen to the same music.

My friends in Oz where second hand clothes, drive old cars, the houses are messy. Much more my style.

Of course there are plenty who are like Europe, and this number will be increasing, and in the city's of course it's different, but over all, in Oz everyones just a bit less materialistic!
And so am I, so I'll fit right in again!

And of course, I'm not going for a better life/more money, I'm going for an adventure, and a some bits better would be nice, like the space, nature and climate! I don't even care (yet?) if I don't find a job which will meet my level of education or something. As long as I enjoy the job, I don't need to be a manager or something.

Anyway, I'm glad that I was raised by my parents to not judge people (well, of course it happens sometimes), and that it's not about appearance etc.
I think all the travelling around and living in different places(including 2 aboriginal communities in north WA) has also really helped in making me be this way!

Oh, and I like flannel sometimes! Even wore it as a kid in Oz! Those padded jacket thingys in the winter. (I even think that that was my winter coat, lol!!) Grey and white by the way, not red, that's for men, I think, ha ha!
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 8:32 am
Just Joined

thewesterns is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by podgypossum
I have noted since i joined this board, that several people don't seem to realise just how snobbish they appear...of course, if thats how they wished to be perceived then fine by me, but, i do worry about them coming down here to the southern hemisphere.

I have found that here in NZ those who like to judge others by the clothes they wear, their "background", physical appearance or amount of money they have in the bank, get a very rough ride!!! I am pretty sure it will be pretty much the same in Aus.

The things that appear to be important in some social circles in UK, quite often will ostrocise them down here...maybe these people are the ones who don't "fit" in. I maybe wrong, i'll probably get a torrent of abuse too, for daring to suggest such a thing.

When you are alone in a new country and it is YOU that needs to fit in, being a pretty young thing, wearing the right sunglasses and driving the right car, could just well be your downfall!!
hi all
not wanting to offend anyone here! but I think its unfair to judge people by the car they drive, sunglasses they wear or especially being a pretty young thing!! You cant assume someone is snobby because they follow fashion or whatever

i'm no fashion plate myself
and don't have pots of money but I like to think I wouldn't judge someone i'd never spoken to by their appearance alone

well thats my 2p worth!
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Darn it!
Plus, there was a mullet special on "The Salon" yesterday - had never seen it before but was fixated once I heard the word. Don't think I'll be watching again, unless there's more mullets!
For you in Aus - you missed the middle aged goth with the blue mullet... now, now, don't sob your hearts out! (She had it done pink and purple in the end, with the top "funked up" a bit!) Think she was a school librarian!
Larissa
Yes!!! found a link!!!
http://www.channel4.com/entertainmen...ry.jsp?id=1409
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes!!! found a link!!!
http://www.channel4.com/entertainmen...ry.jsp?id=1409
ooops perhaps I'm being a mullet snob....? Smacked wrists and all that...
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 8:37 am
tennisoz

Originally posted by bondipom
Maybe Diesel should start selling them and charge 100 quid a shirt. Thats over 95 quid profit a shirt.
Here in the UK I get clothes in the Officer's Club - Petroleum brand (Diesel, get it) for £6 - £5 profit.

TennisOz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.