Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Snobbery and class - another take

Wikiposts

Snobbery and class - another take

Old Oct 23rd 2003, 1:15 am
Just Joined

Donk is an unknown quantity at this point

i see your point perhaps i misunderstood Simones post and therefore i lost the plot sorry. its the problem with having to grab snatches between prtending to work.
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 1:29 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by badgersmount
eh? I thought wanting a roof over your head was one of human being's wants ??!!! Shelter and all that.

And for those lucky enough to have that, we then want just "enough" space, within our means.

I want a 3 bed villa with a garden in Straya - that is all I can afford. I want it so that I can walk in to the garden without having to go down a flight of stairs, so that I can watch the sun go down with a beer with friends. (Dreamer alert) I don;t want to feel like a prisoner in my own home in a box. I want more than 1 bedroom so I can study in peace, and to have a spare room.

My fiancee and I don't want a pool - I hate swimming! ;-) I don't want a huge house with 5 bedrooms - I don't want that many kids for a start.

Badge
Yes, that's what I mean, I think!

Maybe I have lost the plot a bit?

I'll try and explain better:

Having a roof over our heads is normal for us. But not to some in the third world.

Oh, and you have to read it as a reaction to Seangs post about needs/wants and actions being the same over the world!
I should use the quote button more often!
I think that where it got confusing.

oh, lol, I'm really busy at work, but I just can't stay away here.
Discussion is so interesting, and I always want to know peoples reactions to my posts, to see if I said something totally ridiculous!
And I don't want people to missunderstand my posts! aaaarggghhh!

Old Oct 23rd 2003, 1:30 am
Badge

Default Re: Snobbery and class - another take

I like your style Bundy. You and me both.

Good on ya.

Fair Dinkum

and any other token Strayan' ism I care to think of.

badge

Old Oct 23rd 2003, 1:31 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Anyone noticing a pattern here?

People who lived in aus "country style" seem to know a different type of Australian to those who lived/live in the cities.

Anywhere in the world, the population of a city will be completely different in many aspects and attitudes to those who live in the country.

Personally, i am a country bumpkin, and i love all aspects of living in a smaller community, simply because it is just that, a community. You can pop across the road to see mrs Miggins and borrow her mattock, then on the way back pop into see farmer giles to get those eggs he promised you. You are part of a wider group of people, and because you know them there is less pretention. Walking through town with my father in law was great, everyone knew him, everyone said hello, normally got/gave an invite for lunch etc. That kind of thing just does'nt happen in a city.

I liked Hermans post....people are people etc.
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 1:31 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snobbery and class - another take

I like your style Bundy. You and me both.

Good on ya.

Fair Dinkum

and any other token Strayan' ism I care to think of.

badge

At least there are two of us out there...makes me feel less of a freak!
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 1:34 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PeteY
Anyone noticing a pattern here?

People who lived in aus "country style" seem to know a different type of Australian to those who lived/live in the cities.

Anywhere in the world, the population of a city will be completely different in many aspects and attitudes to those who live in the country.

Personally, i am a country bumpkin, and i love all aspects of living in a smaller community, simply because it is just that, a community. You can pop across the road to see mrs Miggins and borrow her mattock, then on the way back pop into see farmer giles to get those eggs he promised you. You are part of a wider group of people, and because you know them there is less pretention. Walking through town with my father in law was great, everyone knew him, everyone said hello, normally got/gave an invite for lunch etc. That kind of thing just does'nt happen in a city.

I liked Hermans post....people are people etc.
Exactly, PeteY...I like the community thing, but then I too am a country bumpkin. I like the fact that everyone know's your name, that all the kids grow up together as if it's one big family (no, I've not gone all sentimental - it's true). Where the pub is the focal point, where everyone celebrates every birth, marriage and death together and where people help each other in anyway they can
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 1:35 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

My fiancee and I don't want a pool - I hate swimming! ;-) I don't want a huge house with 5 bedrooms - I don't want that many kids for a start.

Badge
Have to admit We want a pool!! We both love swimming....

We also want a tennis court, as we love tennis.

And i want a big house.....not for the kids (!!!) but for my study, and for my library (one day....)!!

I also want a monster of a shed

BUT!!! I want these things for me, i dont' give a hoot about other people and what they think, i want the accesories to the house for ME to use!!
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 1:40 am
She's a bird, you know

Have to admit We want a pool!! We both love swimming....

We also want a tennis court, as we love tennis.

And i want a big house.....not for the kids (!!!) but for my study, and for my library (one day....)!!

I also want a monster of a shed

BUT!!! I want these things for me, i dont' give a hoot about other people and what they think, i want the accesories to the house for ME to use!!

Don't need a pool - Nundle has one (25m community pool). Don't need a tennis court - Nundle has four (again, community ones). They are free to use, of excellent quality and used by absolutely everyone. ANd Nundle only has a population of 300!
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 1:50 am
A Male Member

Originally posted by bundy
Don't need a pool - Nundle has one (25m community pool). Don't need a tennis court - Nundle has four (again, community ones). They are free to use, of excellent quality and used by absolutely everyone. ANd Nundle only has a population of 300!
True, if there were good communal facilities where we settle we would be fine with that. That was somthing i loved out there. We played tennis all the time because it was free. Over here it costs £5 a go (1 hr), which is wayyy too much for us misers.

Could definatly for-go the tennis court, but i have to admit i did love staying at Susans uncles house (which has a pool) and being able to get up have a swim then go in for brekkie. All without having to walk to the aquatic centre. Lazy i know
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 1:54 am
She's a bird, you know

True, if there were good communal facilities where we settle we would be fine with that. That was somthing i loved out there. We played tennis all the time because it was free. Over here it costs £5 a go (1 hr), which is wayyy too much for us misers.

Could definatly for-go the tennis court, but i have to admit i did love staying at Susans uncles house (which has a pool) and being able to get up have a swim then go in for brekkie. All without having to walk to the aquatic centre. Lazy i know
Mind you, the pool is an outdoors one, so only the brave would dare it in the midst of winter....
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 2:05 am
Badge

Default a little bit political

Another pattern is developing.

Myself, Bundy and Petey represent the younger people on this site without sprogs. I am the oldest at 31.

The three of us represent the generation of English people who want a life and can't really get it in the UK. We are fairly new in our careers and am about to be married or have recently married....we are clearly not children;yet we are adults who feel that the UK won't offer us the lives we want. This in part due to our economic situations which hasn't played us great cards as first-time or modest home owner/buyers.

Many of you own "fantastic" homes in the UK or like us - want something better, bigger or different. We all share the same desires and hopes. Yet many of you have what we would kill to have in the UK.

At the risk of sounding political, maybe all you suburbanites should think next time you want that huge house with pool in Straya, just think of all the poor sods in this country who will never get on the housing ladder and/or have the opportunity to make a choice. And for the poor sods in Straya we/you are also pricing out of the market. Guily m'lud. I can stick down a 100k Aussie deposit - more than the average strayan can stick down.

badge

ooer!

Old Oct 23rd 2003, 2:13 am
Badge

Exactly, PeteY...I like the community thing, but then I too am a country bumpkin. I like the fact that everyone know's your name, that all the kids grow up together as if it's one big family (no, I've not gone all sentimental - it's true). Where the pub is the focal point, where everyone celebrates every birth, marriage and death together and where people help each other in anyway they can
I was up in Kibworth Beauchamp the other day ( a village in Leicestershire) sayin goodbye to the granny. I go to see her once every few years; seen her 3 times since say 1999.

Quite "nice" - but jesus - it's gone all "gentrified". I didn't see people greeting each other from open ute cabs....no village atmosphere...

the places I know near Sydney are not villages, but they are still pretty nice.

Can anyone list villages that are genuinely untouched in Surrey, Leics, etc??

Old Oct 23rd 2003, 2:22 am
She's a bird, you know

Default Re: a little bit political

Another pattern is developing.

Myself, Bundy and Petey represent the younger people on this site without sprogs. I am the oldest at 31.

The three of us represent the generation of English people who want a life and can't really get it in the UK. We are fairly new in our careers and am about to be married or have recently married....we are clearly not children;yet we are adults who feel that the UK won't offer us the lives we want. This in part due to our economic situations which hasn't played us great cards as first-time or modest home owner/buyers.

Many of you own "fantastic" homes in the UK or like us - want something better, bigger or different. We all share the same desires and hopes. Yet many of you have what we would kill to have in the UK.

At the risk of sounding political, maybe all you suburbanites should think next time you want that huge house with pool in Straya, just think of all the poor sods in this country who will never get on the housing ladder and/or have the opportunity to make a choice. And for the poor sods in Straya we/you are also pricing out of the market. Guily m'lud. I can stick down a 100k Aussie deposit - more than the average strayan can stick down.

badge

ooer!
Good point. My bloke and I both earn a decent wage, but we're stuck in a tiny one-bed rented flat and the thought of trying to get on the property ladder here terrifies me. Another reason to move. We're lucky in that we are young (25 & 26), have no children as yet and, more importantly, have absolutely no debt. Not much money, but no debt.

We won't be taking piles of cash to Oz because we don't have piles of cash (perhaps A$30,000 when we go out). So we'll be starting at the bottom there too. But where we're headed, house prices are much cheaper, so there is more hope for us.

Neither of us have huge career aspirations and are happy to do anything that comes along.

Maybe we're dreamers, maybe we're foolish - I'm sure others will think that we are. But this is what we want, and we think we can make it work, so we're going to give it a go at least. I see my older brother stuggling here, and I can't help but think that there must be a better way of life.
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 2:25 am
A Male Member

Good point. My bloke and I both earn a decent wage, but we're stuck in a tiny one-bed rented flat and the thought of trying to get on the property ladder here terrifies me. Another reason to move. We're lucky in that we are young (25 & 26), have no children as yet and, more importantly, have absolutely no debt. Not much money, but no debt.

We won't be taking piles of cash to Oz because we don't have piles of cash (perhaps A$30,000 when we go out). So we'll be starting at the bottom there too. But where we're headed, house prices are much cheaper, so there is more hope for us.

Neither of us have huge career aspirations and are happy to do anything that comes along.

Maybe we're dreamers, maybe we're foolish - I'm sure others will think that we are. But this is what we want, and we think we can make it work, so we're going to give it a go at least. I see my older brother stuggling here, and I can't help but think that there must be a better way of life.
Blimey i read that and thought i had typed it out myself!

Ok jobs here, no debt, not a huge wad of money and a not a chance of buying a house in the UK (at least where we are living at the moment!).
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 2:26 am
She's a bird, you know

Blimey i read that and thought i had typed it out myself!

Ok jobs here, no debt, not a huge wad of money and a not a chance of buying a house in the UK (at least where we are living at the moment!).

Maybe me, you and Badge should join together! We all seem to be heading off in the same boat...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.