Snakes! Be prepared!

Wikiposts

Snakes! Be prepared!

Old Sep 24th 2003, 10:01 pm
dmf
Forum Regular

dmf will become famous soon enough
Default Snakes! Be prepared!

Well we have been in our new house for 2 weeks and there is plenty of wildlife. Beautiful birds, butterflies .... loads of lizards, grass snakes, frogs or toads which like to come inside the house ..... Haven't seen that many spiders yet just a few daddy longlegs and the odd other type (bigger and hairier) but no redbacks etc... Today, 7.15am, walking round by the pool and something catches my eye in the bush entangled round the fence! It was a large carpet python, very active obviously looking for food. I had no knowledge/experience of snakes, hubby at work, kids playing around in garden. I made a few phone calls only to discover that it shouldn't be a problem just to leave it alone. I was recommended a book to buy "Wildlife in Greater Brisbane" which I promptly went and bought. It was still there tonight so neighbour moved it along to another part of the garden not so close to the pool. He says this is a bad area for snakes - there are loads around not just the non-venomous type. Great!! Guess I am going to have to learn fast about snakes. Unfortunately the battery was gone in the digital camera but I did video to show hubby who didn't believe me. People also say that nearly every house has a snake in the roof as well. We know they are or have been up there because there is a shed skin. Makes your hairs stand on end!!!

Dawn
Old Sep 24th 2003, 11:37 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: Snakes! Be prepared!

Originally posted by dmf
Well we have been in our new house for 2 weeks and there is plenty of wildlife. Beautiful birds, butterflies .... loads of lizards, grass snakes, frogs or toads which like to come inside the house ..... Haven't seen that many spiders yet just a few daddy longlegs and the odd other type (bigger and hairier) but no redbacks etc... Today, 7.15am, walking round by the pool and something catches my eye in the bush entangled round the fence! It was a large carpet python, very active obviously looking for food. I had no knowledge/experience of snakes, hubby at work, kids playing around in garden. I made a few phone calls only to discover that it shouldn't be a problem just to leave it alone. I was recommended a book to buy "Wildlife in Greater Brisbane" which I promptly went and bought. It was still there tonight so neighbour moved it along to another part of the garden not so close to the pool. He says this is a bad area for snakes - there are loads around not just the non-venomous type. Great!! Guess I am going to have to learn fast about snakes. Unfortunately the battery was gone in the digital camera but I did video to show hubby who didn't believe me. People also say that nearly every house has a snake in the roof as well. We know they are or have been up there because there is a shed skin. Makes your hairs stand on end!!!

Dawn
Hi Dawn,

Hope you don't mind my asking, but which area of brisbane did you choose in the end, and why?

Cheers

Pete.
Old Sep 24th 2003, 11:58 pm
Badge

carpet snakes are quite common.

Often you'll run over them in the car at night as they come in the evenings to bake on the still warm road.
We did!

badgers

Old Sep 24th 2003, 11:59 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by badgersmount
carpet snakes are quite common.

Often you'll run over them in the car at night as they come in the evenings to bake on the still warm road.
We did!

badgers
Got a few cane toads, but found the snakes always moved pretty quick.

The cane toads do make a great noise when you get one though

Kerthompop.
Old Sep 25th 2003, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

pabloako is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't mind a copy of that book. Is it easily available?
Old Sep 25th 2003, 12:24 pm
dmf
Forum Regular

Pete,

We are in Highvale, just outside Samford. We stayed initially on the south side but when driving round various areas ended up on the north side each time. Just found people, schools more welcoming. When looking for somewhere to settle we needed to choose somewhere not too far from Eagle Farm area (lots of work round that area), hubby works in aerospace so not too far from airport. It takes him 40-45 min drive to get to work - seems to be the norm over here. We also wanted acreage and didn't want to be on a big housing estate. We now have 2.5 acres with beautiful garden and plenty of space.

Re. the book - I found it in the first bookshop I went into yesterday. Published by the QLD Museum. I think it will be a good buy.

Dawn
Old Sep 25th 2003, 1:38 pm
IT nerd

MartinD is an unknown quantity at this point

I've only seen 1 in Perth in 2 years - that was in the middle of the afternoon at Scarborough beach. This 2 metre long big black thing just crawled across the main sand path to the beach travelling between dunes as happy as can be.

I worked with snakes in the US as a nature counsellor a few years back, and mostly you have little to fear from them. If you are in an area where you suspect they might be, just walk around normally and they will hear you coming and clear out of the way. Don't creep about, as that is when you are most likely to come across them without warning.

If you are out and about in the bush a walking stick is a good idea - just hit the ground in front of you ever few steps to make a bit of vibration on the ground (not two handed hits - just use it like a normal walking stick!).

If you do see one take a few steps back, give it space, and stamps your feet around a bit so it knows you are there, and it will tend to clear out of the way. If you have discovered a more permanent looking nest or hidyhole then steer clear and give the snake the opportunity to live there (as long as its not in the back of your car!).

With snakes and spiders - just remember whose country it is anyway!
Old Sep 25th 2003, 3:47 pm
dmf
Forum Regular

Martin, thanks for your comments. Apparently we are to expect a lot of snakes where we are - all part of living on acreage in the country which I accept. It was a shock though.

Thanks, Dawn
Old Sep 25th 2003, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

hamiltonnz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by PeteY
Hi Dawn,

Hope you don't mind my asking, but which area of brisbane did you choose in the end, and why?

Cheers

Pete.
Hi Pete I spoke to an aussie who lived in Brisbane and moved to NZ. He said North brisbane is best around strathpine, albany creek area. (probably expensive thre though). he said it has good access to motorway and is a good area. he did not recommend south side. He moved to NZ because he didnt like the heat, the cockroaches or nasty bugs. he also said make sure you wear a hat and sunscreen or youll end up in hospital with skin cancer getting your ears and nose chopped.