Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Snakes In My Garden!!!

Wikiposts

Snakes In My Garden!!!

Old Jul 17th 2003, 2:47 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I was in the South African Army in the mid 80's, whilst on a foot patrol in the Namibian bush, one of the guys in my platoon was bit on the leg by a pofadder (a very poisonous african snake). The way this guy went into shock was frightening, he was in a really bad way within minutes. Luckily our patrol medic had the right serum, but we had to find the snake to make sure he used the right one, which took another few minutes, all the time this guy was going down big time. Once the serum was given he stabilised & had a helicopter casevac to a fiels hospital.

Don't mess with snakes, Aussie one's are worse that African one's !.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 6:54 am
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point

I was wondering if there was some sort of home antivenom kit hanging around, I guess it would save alot of lives................
Old Jul 17th 2003, 7:42 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by rapitts
I was wondering if there was some sort of home antivenom kit hanging around, I guess it would save alot of lives................
more chance of you getting Ross river fever from a mozzie than being bitten by a snake............ MM
Old Jul 17th 2003, 7:59 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by rapitts
you could look here. www.avru.unimelb.edu.au/avruweb/creatable.html .. MM
Old Jul 17th 2003, 11:51 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Snakes In My Garden!!!

According to one of my books Taipans (there are different types of Taipans - i.e. Eastern, Western etc) the one over here ranges from South East Queensland in Brisbane right up to the top of Aus.

Yes I know I shouldn't move them, but they were only small ones and I was ready to jump out of the way (been watching too many croc hunter programs lol). I raked it out among the pile of grass clippings - i.e. I did not touch the snake with the rake. If it was any bigger I'd have called the snake catcher. Yes they can't half move! This one shot past me before I could blink through a gap in the fence.
Anyway, I assume it was a Taipan, it looked like one - It's a bit hard identifying something from a picture in a book. I thought the young snakes were actually more venomous than the adults.... it's just that they can't deliver the same amount venom into the bite as an adult can - I'm sure I've read that somewhere.

For Mr mover: Regarding my abuse to the compost heap - I haven't got any trees on the property (it's a rental house, my new home has though - but I'm not in there yet, I' clearing up this rental property that I'm in ready to move, for the bond back) the trees are behind my boundary, hanging over my fence, behind the compost heap. I didn't know it was a capital offence to dump grass clippings. Hang on, a new slogan for a T-shirt "Save the compost heaps of Aus"

The snake didn't seem aggressive - it was more interested in "running" away from me... I seem to have that effect on some things

I haven't come across many snakes since I've been here, but I don't go looking for them. The only snakes I've come across before this incident are one dead brown snake in the bush and one carpet snake we saw crossing the road one night last year - big one at that- stopped the car to have a look, but it had already slithered into the trees. Oh and one snake in my last house - it was a small green snake (haven't got a clue what type) - my cat chased up the tree in my then garden - the snake was faster than my cat, that's telling you how fast some of these snakes can move isn't it.

my new house/property backs onto a reserve with a small creek running through the reserve - snake habitat... boy am I going to have fun doing that garden when I move in

cheers
Old Jul 18th 2003, 12:48 am
Banned

Default Re: Snakes In My Garden!!!

Originally posted by Ceri
According to one of my books Taipans (there are different types of Taipans - i.e. Eastern, Western etc) the one over here ranges from South East Queensland in Brisbane right up to the top of Aus.

Yes I know I shouldn't move them, but they were only small ones and I was ready to jump out of the way (been watching too many croc hunter programs lol). I raked it out among the pile of grass clippings - i.e. I did not touch the snake with the rake. If it was any bigger I'd have called the snake catcher. Yes they can't half move! This one shot past me before I could blink through a gap in the fence.
Anyway, I assume it was a Taipan, it looked like one - It's a bit hard identifying something from a picture in a book. I thought the young snakes were actually more venomous than the adults.... it's just that they can't deliver the same amount venom into the bite as an adult can - I'm sure I've read that somewhere.

For Mr mover: Regarding my abuse to the compost heap - I haven't got any trees on the property (it's a rental house, my new home has though - but I'm not in there yet, I' clearing up this rental property that I'm in ready to move, for the bond back) the trees are behind my boundary, hanging over my fence, behind the compost heap. I didn't know it was a capital offence to dump grass clippings. Hang on, a new slogan for a T-shirt "Save the compost heaps of Aus"

The snake didn't seem aggressive - it was more interested in "running" away from me... I seem to have that effect on some things

I haven't come across many snakes since I've been here, but I don't go looking for them. The only snakes I've come across before this incident are one dead brown snake in the bush and one carpet snake we saw crossing the road one night last year - big one at that- stopped the car to have a look, but it had already slithered into the trees. Oh and one snake in my last house - it was a small green snake (haven't got a clue what type) - my cat chased up the tree in my then garden - the snake was faster than my cat, that's telling you how fast some of these snakes can move isn't it.

my new house/property backs onto a reserve with a small creek running through the reserve - snake habitat... boy am I going to have fun doing that garden when I move in

cheers
ceri , i was not trying to make you feel silly , i have 1acre of gardens , for the same cost of dump fee,s i can hire a mulcher, and spread my compost and clippings around my plants for moisture retention............... MM