Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

question for mr mover

question for mr mover

Old Jul 16th 2003, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all
Default question for mr mover

my gran wants to ship an old desk which belonged to my grandfather to my brother in sydney. i looked at it last night - walnut, over 100 yrs old but has had wordworm approx 30 yrs ago. no trace now, it was treated. however there are little holes where it was in three areas. is there any way that it would be accepted in australia? i thought it would be a big problem, could you advise me please?
karen
Old Jul 17th 2003, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

I would try to get some sort of certificate or letter stating that the table is woodworm free and include it with your Customs Declaration. Failing that, the worst that can happen is that they will fumigate the table and you will have to pay them to do it. It shouldn't damage it at all though.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all

thanks gordon, its the unknown cost if the authorities say it needs fumigating which is the problem as it is a gift to my brother. does anyone have any experience of this and advise what possible charges could apply?
thanks for any advice.
karen
Old Jul 17th 2003, 10:58 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: question for mr mover

Originally posted by karenvirginia
my gran wants to ship an old desk which belonged to my grandfather to my brother in sydney. i looked at it last night - walnut, over 100 yrs old but has had wordworm approx 30 yrs ago. no trace now, it was treated. however there are little holes where it was in three areas. is there any way that it would be accepted in australia? i thought it would be a big problem, could you advise me please?
karen
Hi karen will not be a problem ,we get furniture from around the world every day , and alot of it has borer holes ,unless there is evidence of FRASS [that is dust left over by live borers eating the wood }it will be passed. european w/worm is not a problem here they worry more about the African /sth American varieties which could adapt to our climate............. MM
Old Jul 17th 2003, 8:35 pm
NZ In Jan (Please!)

sandypandy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mr mover
Hi karen will not be a problem ,we get furniture from around the world every day , and alot of it has borer holes ,unless there is evidence of FRASS [that is dust left over by live borers eating the wood }it will be passed. european w/worm is not a problem here they worry more about the African /sth American varieties which could adapt to our climate............. MM

Dear Mr mover

Do you know if this applies for furniture to NZ?
Old Jul 17th 2003, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

Cost of getting it fumigated is only a couple of hundred bucks. They have to leave it for a week or so after they have done it though. Bear in mind, the changes of them doing it are pretty slim.
Old Jul 18th 2003, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

thanks, will report back to my gran. now to find a removal co. who won't charge the earth. just had one quote so far £490.00!!!
karen
Old Jul 18th 2003, 1:24 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sandypandy
Dear Mr mover

Do you know if this applies for furniture to NZ?
HI i would say it would be the same , if not try here and go to nz page www.grace.com.au ..... MM
Old Jul 18th 2003, 1:26 pm
Banned

Originally posted by karenvirginia
thanks, will report back to my gran. now to find a removal co. who won't charge the earth. just had one quote so far £490.00!!!
karen
HI karen give this mob a bell, www.excess-baggage.com .... MM