Wikiposts

Snakes & Dogs

Old Jan 26th 2004, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

Sydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really nice
Default Snakes & Dogs

Hi my name is Sydney. I'm a 5 year old Boxer dog and my pets our looking to take me out to the Sunshine coast to live, hopefully later this year. A couple of questions?

1. Do many dogs get bitten by snakes?
2. How will i cope with the heat?
3. How easy will it be to rent for 6 months with me around?

And my owner said, how easy will it to join a golf club?

Woof.
Old Jan 26th 2004, 7:07 am
WBB

Default Re: Snakes & Dogs

Originally posted by Sydney The Dog
Hi my name is Sydney. I'm a 5 year old Boxer dog and my pets our looking to take me out to the Sunshine coast to live, hopefully later this year. A couple of questions?

Woof.

mate, if you can use a keyboard and play golf i would ditch your owners and run for president.

Old Jan 26th 2004, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Woof.

We are on the sunshine coast and have a dog. Firstly most new arrivals in OZ end up in suburban areas, so dogs are not in much danger as basically yards are fenced and mowed and therefor hardly full of snakes. Most on this board say they have rarely if ever seen a snake.

Its different for us, we dont live in the burbies, so do see snakes. Our dog senses they are there but is well aware they are dangerous, nobdoy told him this it just seemed to be instinct. So he just keeps his distance but barks like mad till its gone. Dogs that get bitten by snakes are often Fox terriers that are hunting dogs and seek snakes out and try to fight them.

Heat, short haired dog so good, longer hair then clip prior to the really hot bit. Nearly all houses here have a large shaded patio out the back, dogs are smarter than most immies they naturally choose the shaded areas anyway. Just exercise them in the cooler parts of the day. Hose down, swim if heatwave temps.

Rentals. There is an incredible oversupply of houses to rent here. Some owners have them empty for months. Guess what these owners now see pets in a less picky light. Just offer an extra bond in case of damage, cleaning and pest control of carpets is usually written into lease anyway. Negotiate, funny how an empty house with no rent coming in turns landlords into pet lovers

Dogs here need a monthly heartworm tablet (mozzie related) and a tick collar unless they are just house dogs. Paraylasis tick live in long grass and can paralize or kill an animal.

Golf clubs, gawd there must be at least 6 good clubs here.
Old Jan 26th 2004, 8:08 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi!

Well, we(as in my parents, brother and I) had 2 dogs when living in Oz for 9 years.
We lived in the Hills in Perth, up north in the outback and down south in a small country town.
1. Dogs(a terrier and an english springer spaniel) never bitten by anything. Not that we encountered snakes that often anyway! I think they naturally stayed away, instinct as Dotty said. If you're going to be in the burbs you'll usually have nothing to worry about anyway!
2. Just make sure there's enough water! Don't know for the rest, they were born there. Oh, now I remember something: of course they also need shade. Ours were always under cars and chairs etc. And on the beach the terrier would make a hole in the sand till he got to the cooler(wet) sand and lie in it!
3. Don't know, my parents owned. I guess it is a bit more trouble than without, but not to much trouble to leave the dog behind!!

Only bad things I can remember happening to ours (and both involved the spaniel )
Twice he nearly got washed away by a river! The second time he got stuck under a bridge, and we were all panicking, but finally he came out the other end, but did have water in his lungs!!
And he got chased by a chook once who was being protective of her chicks. It was hilarious, he went flying up the lawn!! lol!

Ha! Was just checking pics to share (I love sharing pics! ) and found this one. Illustrates beautifully what Dotty said: Dogs are smarter than the immies! And also a great Aussie pic for the rose glasses crowd
Just for clarification: it's somewhere in the southwest (Lancelin), and yes that's the dogs in the shade, my dad with an aussie hat and behind us a boogie board! And a coolbox of course!

OK, blabbed on for long enough again, sorry!
Attached Thumbnails Snakes & Dogs-1989_149_lancelin.jpg  
Old Jan 28th 2004, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

kaleb777 is an unknown quantity at this point

Most dogs have an innate fear of snakes and will avoid them. Snakes to will go out of their way to avoid humans or animals (except maybe taipans ) . Most snake attacks are in the outer suburbs on acerage.

The heat? MAke sure dogs always have plenty of cool water. Provide shade. NEVER take a dog in your car if you intend leaving the dog while you take car of errands. I work nights and sleep during the day in an air conditioned bedroom. My dogs have slowly forced their way in and now sleep in the cool with me. On very hot days I hose my dogs every few hours.

A lot of renters allow pets and there are plenty of golf clubs around.
Old Jan 28th 2004, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

Carol in Oz is an unknown quantity at this point

Woof.
Heard a story on Sunrise on 7 this morning. A dog in Qld somewhere was bitten on the face by a snake. The snake was wrapped aroung the dog and said dog had stopped breathing. The dog owner got the snake off of the dog and gave the dog mouth to mouth and revived it!!