Snakes Alive

Old Dec 6th 2006, 10:09 pm
Sharks out of the Pool

mick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Snakes Alive

Spoke to my neighbour yesterday - a 7ft Eastern brown snake was removed from our property last week. The so called "snake man" came and removed it for a cost of $40dollars.
This comes after a deadly Taipan was caught at our beach access point a month ago.
My question is - I was led to believe that snakes were normally not visible in suburbia - SO whats going on?
My sister in law is over here on holiday and her 3 year old little boy could have easily come accross this deadly killer - not to mention our 3 cats who wouldnt have a clue what a snake was if it bit them on the ass
Is there any prevention to keep the snakes out (something along the lines of electrical signals etc..)?
Old Dec 6th 2006, 10:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snakes Alive

Originally Posted by mick_newcastle
Spoke to my neighbour yesterday - a 7ft Eastern brown snake was removed from our property last week. The so called "snake man" came and removed it for a cost of $40dollars.
This comes after a deadly Taipan was caught at our beach access point a month ago.
My question is - I was led to believe that snakes were normally not visible in suburbia - SO whats going on?
My sister in law is over here on holiday and her 3 year old little boy could have easily come accross this deadly killer - not to mention our 3 cats who wouldnt have a clue what a snake was if it bit them on the ass
Is there any prevention to keep the snakes out (something along the lines of electrical signals etc..)?

The sand dunes at bokarina and all along there may be surrounded by suburban houses but the dunes are a natural snake habitat. Theres always been snakes there, seen red bellied blacks and browns, not uncommon to spot on a hot day they come out and lay on the walking track. It does take people by surprise to find out snakes live in the dunes but if you think about it its just their natural habitat. Further down the beach exits some of them even have signs warning people about it.

Last edited by jad n rich; Dec 6th 2006 at 10:47 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2006, 11:04 pm
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=mick_newcastle]

Who told you that ?

I've had heaps of snakes in my garden, a couple on the verandah and 2 in the house that I know of, Including one that got spaded as it hung over my toddler's bed a few years back.
Old Dec 6th 2006, 11:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Weve had one on the deck this year already, it was curled up with the shoes, and its not got warm yet let alone hot which makes them more active. The decks about 4 M off the ground it appears to have climbed the fish tail palm thats at the end of the deck. So dont know how you would make a property snake proof by fencing, dont they also go underground. Think teaching the kids you live in australia now a bit of snake awarness is better opt. Cats, should be kept inside in OZ they are a predator of the natural wildlife here.
Old Dec 6th 2006, 11:19 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I was led to believe that snakes were normally not visible in suburbia - SO whats going on?
Who told you that?

Plenty of deadly Dugites and Tigers in suburbia in Ocean Reef, in fact a dugite was discovered at the primary school last year by a little English girl who had only just arrived from the UK :scared:
Old Dec 6th 2006, 11:42 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

The best way to keep snakes out of your property is to keep the grass and vegitation down, snakes hate wide open spaces with no where to hide and advoid them.
Old Dec 6th 2006, 11:47 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
The best way to keep snakes out of your property is to keep the grass and vegitation down, snakes hate wide open spaces with no where to hide and advoid them.
... or get a pet mongoose
Old Dec 6th 2006, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

I want a concrete garden, I'm sh1t scared of snakes. But it won't stop me coming over
Old Dec 6th 2006, 11:58 pm
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
I want a concrete garden, I'm sh1t scared of snakes. But it won't stop me coming over
Snakes love concrete, they lie on it to warm up.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but there are suburbs and suburbs.....

If you live in a brand-new newly-built suburb that happens to be on top of (or next to) an area where snakes live, then obviously you're going to get snakes coming round to have a look.

If you live in an older suburb, completely surrounded by other suburbs and miles from any snake habitat, then you're not going to see any.

The suburb where I live is built on sand dunes, and when it was first developed (80 years ago) there were snakes in abundance. They're long gone now, though - last snake seen around here was about 50 years ago.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 12:14 am
Now in Perth and lovin it

Pookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nice
Thumbs down Re: Snakes Alive

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Weve had one on the deck this year already, it was curled up with the shoes, and its not got warm yet let alone hot which makes them more active. The decks about 4 M off the ground it appears to have climbed the fish tail palm thats at the end of the deck. So dont know how you would make a property snake proof by fencing, dont they also go underground. Think teaching the kids you live in australia now a bit of snake awarness is better opt. Cats, should be kept inside in OZ they are a predator of the natural wildlife here.
What?

"Cats, should be kept inside in OZ they are a predator of the natural wildlife here"

and the thousands of us Brits coming to Oz aren't? That's such a lame excuse "ooh cats kill lots of ickle animals they're bad" Let's worry about that and stick our head in the sand about all us Humans!

Sorry, but I hate that

Pookster.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Snakes love concrete, they lie on it to warm up.
Thanks renth :scared:
Old Dec 7th 2006, 12:19 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

I have not come across a snake yet and i hope i don't. I also thought they stayed away from surburban areas, but of course someone is bound to see one eventually.
They are protected species and you are not allowed to kill them, so having a local snake man as such will be handy.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 12:23 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by Pookster
Sorry, but I hate that
With respect Pookster you obviously don't know how much damage cats do to native wildlife.

I love cats but strongly belive they should be banned in Australia.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 12:28 am
Now in Perth and lovin it

Pookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nice

Originally Posted by renth
With respect Pookster you obviously don't know how much damage cats do to native wildlife.

I love cats but strongly belive they should be banned in Australia.
don't you think we cause more damage than a few moggies?

c'mon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.