Snakes......

Old Jan 8th 2007, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Munchmel will become famous soon enough
Default Snakes......

K, prepare yourself for a really n00by question.....again! Looking at some property details in Buderim, sunshine coast...and there is a snake on the balcony. I don't have an issue with them..but is it a daily occurance...or a once in a while thing if you head for the mountain breezes! (another myth?!? )

Melx
Old Jan 8th 2007, 8:17 pm
The Murphsters

The Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to all
Default Re: Snakes......

Did you take a photo?

I am hoping someone answers this as it is making me worried
I meen, how the ell does a snake end up on a balcony???
I thought i would be safe above ground.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 9:59 pm
The Master of Disaster

iceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Murphsters
Did you take a photo?

I am hoping someone answers this as it is making me worried
I meen, how the ell does a snake end up on a balcony???
I thought i would be safe above ground.

They get on to concrete and balconies etc as they are cold blooded and it's nice and warm.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 10:05 pm
The Murphsters

The Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to all

But how do they get up on the balcony? They can't climb walls can they?
Old Jan 8th 2007, 10:12 pm
The Master of Disaster

iceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really nice

[QUOTE=The Murphsters;4261701]But how do they get up on the balcony? They can't climb walls can they?

No but if its a raised area for instance it should be easy access. There is always alot of apprehension about snakes, but to be fair I have not seen that many. On parts of the Sunshine Coast though I believe sand dunes provide a natural habitat.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 10:18 pm
The Murphsters

I am ashamed to say i am totally papping myself of the snakes, i hope i never have to wake up and find one on the balcony, i am liable to jump off.

My Job is crap? My wife is homesick? We don't like Australia?
All these things and more should be the sum of my worries a month away from
the big move, but no, It is Snakes and Spiders in my house, Sharks in the river and Jellyfish in the sea that keeps me awake at night
I'm such a wuss!!
Old Jan 8th 2007, 10:50 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Coming across a snake is one thing I'm not looking forward to: would freak out if there was one on my balcony :scared:

I used to be worried about the NZ whitetails but hardly ever see one, perhaps I'll get lucky with the snakes too
Old Jan 8th 2007, 10:54 pm
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

I am ashamed to say i am totally papping myself of the snakes, i hope i never have to wake up and find one on the balcony, i am liable to jump off.

the big move, but no, It is Snakes and Spiders in my house, Sharks in the river and Jellyfish in the sea that keeps me awake at night
I'm such a wuss!!
I spent a while in the Sunshine Coast and never saw a snake apart from in Australia zoo behind a glass screen!!! I have heard the snakes have come down to the more residential areas due to the lack of rain so there has been more spottings of the Brown Snake in residential areas at the moment.

The ones that can climb are not deadly it is the ones on the ground that you need to worry about and on the ONE occassion I saw a snake (red bellied black snake) it slithered away in front of us and didn't go into attack mode at all, as we all just stopped in our tracks (it was in the middle of the rainforest) and let it go about it's business. Generally if you leave them alone they will not bother you, just dont go looking for them i.e. turning up old bits of wood in the bush, keep your house clear of rubbish and places for them to hide. If you do find one in your house you can call someone to remove it for you which is a better option than trying to kill the thing yourself.

I think it has been said before but how many times have you seen an adder in the UK? The Aussies are far more likely to run away screaming at the sight of an European wasp

The stingers aren't anything to worry about we live in serious stinger country and everyone has their own pool up this way so during stinger season we just stay away from the beach. Personally I wouldn't trust the stinger nets either unless you have a full stinger suit on (even two to make sure) but we have 2 young kids and haven't suffered from this as they understand the dangers of stingers.

I have yet to see a shark in the wild and I have only seen a croc in the wild when I went on a croc spotting tour as otherwise I haven't seen any.

Spiders are no big deal the huntsmen I quite like now as they eat the mozzies which used to annoy the hell out of me but I think I have started to get immune to their bites as well now (mozzies that is not spiders as I havent been bitten yet)

Just use your sense don't forget you are in their habitat so don't go swimming in rivers where there are croc signs up. Don't go bush walking without long trousers on or at least watch where you are walking. Things like the birds tend to let you know if a snake or monitor is around as they go a bit mental.

For us the biggest threat is the Cassowary bird which is a bit scary if you come across one out on a walk as they are quite nosey but we have got used to them now as well and know how to react when we come across one...in fact we have a regular visitors to our block of land by a family of Cassowaries.

I hated the thought of spiders, snakes and basically anything that could kill me but now I'm living in amongst it all and I don't really get phased by any of it now.

You will be surprised as to how you cope when you get here and how soon you forget about it.

Sasha
Old Jan 8th 2007, 11:24 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

I'm such a wuss!!
Don't worry after a few months in OZ you will be just like Steve irwin, wrestling crocs, catching snakes with your bare hands, etc. without any fear.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 11:34 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Munchmel
K, prepare yourself for a really n00by question.....again! Looking at some property details in Buderim, sunshine coast...and there is a snake on the balcony. I don't have an issue with them..but is it a daily occurance...or a once in a while thing if you head for the mountain breezes! (another myth?!? )

Melx
i've known some people to keep plastic snakes on their balconies to deter the birds.. could it be one of those in the picture?
Old Jan 9th 2007, 12:12 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

I'm such a wuss!!
You should be fairly safe from the sharks and jellyfish whilst on your balcony...

S
Old Jan 9th 2007, 12:18 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
You should be fairly safe from the sharks and jellyfish whilst on your balcony...

S
Unless theres a flood or tidal wave.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 12:21 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
Unless theres a flood or tidal wave.
I hadn't considered that...

S
Old Jan 9th 2007, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
i've known some people to keep plastic snakes on their balconies to deter the birds.. could it be one of those in the picture?
I bet you're 100% correct there!

Can you really imagine a real-estate photographer (or anyone really) standing within slithering distance of a large snake and calmly taking a photo?
Old Jan 9th 2007, 12:27 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by NickyC
I bet you're 100% correct there!

Can you really imagine a real-estate photographer (or anyone really) standing within slithering distance of a large snake and calmly taking a photo?
aren't most real estate agents like snakes anyway?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.