Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Snake Phobia!!!!

Snake Phobia!!!!

Old Jan 28th 2006, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

chrissie181 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Snake Phobia!!!!

Is there any one else out there that has a snake phobia!
I dont mean I dont like the creatures. I'm absolutely petrified of them.

I just need some practical advice as Iv heard they do slither into suburbia.

What can I do to help prevent a snake getting onto my property is there any kind of deterrent?
Also if I am faced with one what the hell do I do. Is there a pest control or somebody I can ring to come and get rid of it?

We are planning to move to the sunshine coast some time this year.

Chrissie
Old Jan 28th 2006, 4:35 am
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Snake Phobia!!!!

Im not overkeen on the things myself but i guess that its something that i shall have to start to get used to

Rob
Old Jan 28th 2006, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of

Hi Chrissie,try not to worry,years ago when i was in the army i ended up in various Jungles around the world,and like you hated the damm things,we had all the training on what to do if you see one/get bitten by one,but after a year living deep in the jungle i only saw 1 and i think he/she was more scared of me...
My advice is :- enjoy Oz,if you see a snake leave it alone and if needed get help..

Steve
Old Jan 28th 2006, 6:59 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Rob Morton-Jone
Im not overkeen on the things myself but i guess that its something that i shall have to start to get used to

Rob
Don't worry too much about them. I've been here for 15 years in total, and still haven't seen one in the suburbs

And not seen many in the bush either.

Old Jan 28th 2006, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

Talking Re: Snake Phobia!!!!

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Don't worry too much about them. I've been here for 15 years in total, and still haven't seen one in the suburbs

Oh!
Thanks so much for that
It relay does help to hear things like that.
Big,Big thankyou for your support

Chrissie
Old Jan 28th 2006, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

Talking Re: Snake Phobia!!!!

Originally Posted by Steve2438
Hi Chrissie,try not to worry,years ago when i was in the army i ended up in various Jungles around the world,and like you hated the damm things,we had all the training on what to do if you see one/get bitten by one,but after a year living deep in the jungle i only saw 1 and i think he/she was more scared of me...
My advice is :- enjoy Oz,if you see a snake leave it alone and if needed get help..

Steve

Thanks so much for your reply.
Your right I will probably never see one unless I go to the Zoo.
Chrissie
Old Jan 28th 2006, 9:23 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

No - that's cos most of them work in the Criminwealth Bank
Old Jan 28th 2006, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rob Morton-Jone

Rob

Its Amazing how many people dont like them.Lots of people sort of dont mention them. I guess hopping they will just vanish

Chrissie :scared:
Old Jan 28th 2006, 9:36 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

My husband was terrified of snakes and my son terrified of spiders before we moved to between Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast (didn't tell my husband until we got here that it is rumoured that 1 out of 3 Queenslanders has a snake in the attic...LOL).

I did hypnotherapy in the Uk to supplement my nursing and after some sessions both of them are a lot less sensative to both. Although saying that we have only seen spiders which my son has coped with a lot more calmer than he would have in the past and my husband has not seen any snakes so can not say 100% it has worked fully in his case.

You can always look me up when you get here if you need some hypnotherapy.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 9:42 am
Gold Member

skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond repute

just be aware
Attached Thumbnails Snake Phobia!!!!-2.jpg  
Old Jan 28th 2006, 9:49 am
Springbok

Springbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to all

Nice.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 9:50 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrissie181

What can I do to help prevent a snake getting onto my property is there any kind of deterrent?
Also if I am faced with one what the hell do I do. Is there a pest control or somebody I can ring to come and get rid of it?

Chrissie
http://www.babcp.org.uk/

G
Old Jan 28th 2006, 1:22 pm
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

Chrissie
Hello Chrissie,

You're certainly not alone as my Australian wife has become "phobic" to them since leaving Oz as a teenager - found that out on Rottnest Island in 2002, I spotted a dugite, told her & I've NEVER seen her move so quick, she was practically sprinting in the other direction.

I think the best thing for you to do would be to "know your enemy" - find out what kind of snakes inhabit the area that you're in - check out the pictures so you'll be able to identify them, & find out if there are territorial snakes in your area : they defend their patch & are more aggressive than non-territorial snakes who "run" from humans.

You've just got to remember a few things:

1. Your chances of being bitten are extremely small.
2. Think of the worst case scenario, you get bitten, they have anti-venom at the hospital, so you're laughing.
3. You won't GET bitten!
4. Guys in the Yellow Pages remove snakes for a fee from houses.
5. If you have mice or rats in or near your property, get them exterminated as they attract snakes.

Be mindful & concentrate on logic - if you're not careful you will have created all this fear in your head, & probably never seen one!
Old Jan 28th 2006, 1:31 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

We had two Tiger snakes at work within a short time (or one who came back) - this was in a Melbourne suburb.

Be aware..... but like someone said...it is just something you will have to get used to..at least the possibility.

The council have trained 'snake catchers' - if you do see one, just call them and they will take it away to bush - snakes are protected, at least in Victoria.

Yes, there is anti-venom..but don't pick up any warm sticks just to be on the safe side
Old Jan 28th 2006, 1:39 pm
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Chrissie

I have a phobia just like you to the point that I had a panic attack and hyperventilated when I went to an animal park in Thailand. Before you ask why I went - we went on a tour and some of the tour stops were changed for various reasons. We were told we were going to see some animals - like elephants etc instead only when we walked thru the gates there were an assortment of frigging snakes sunbathing everywhere - I realised afterwards they were sedated or whatever but I cannot tell you how awful it was.

Anyway, the point of this story is to let you know I am like you.

However, I have realised over the last 4 months or so that if I am moving to Oz I have to get over it and have made myself look at pictures posted on this site and I even watched a snake programme. I had to have my husband with me - it was that bad.

I've also found a couple of hynotherapists after alot of searching and am planning on seeing one a few months before we move. They are not cheap but I cannot live my life being petrified like this and passing on these fears to my daughter.

Having said that if I see a snake I will be out of the way so fast I'd probably win a gold medal in running but at least I won't be panicking as much as I do now.

Good luck

suzy x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.