Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is smoking a problem for medicals?

Is smoking a problem for medicals?

Old Jun 12th 2006, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

nsrjo1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is smoking a problem for medicals?

We have our medicals booked for the end of this week with Dr Ormerod at Preston.

My OH is a light smoker (5-10/week) and is worried that he may not be accepted because of it.

Does anyone know if it will have any bearing on our application?

Has anyone that smokes passed the medical and actually been accepted?

Does anyone know if they screen for nicotine in the blood tests?
Old Jun 12th 2006, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is smoking a problem for medicals?

Originally Posted by nsrjo1
We have our medicals booked for the end of this week with Dr Ormerod at Preston.

My OH is a light smoker (5-10/week) and is worried that he may not be accepted because of it.

Hi,

Both me and my OH smoke between 15 and 20 per day, no problems at all on our medicals and we have had a visa since January, so unless you have a smoking related disease then you will be OK.
Old Jun 12th 2006, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

nsrjo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for that.

OH's heart beat has now returned to normal!!
Old Jun 12th 2006, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for that.

OH's heart beat has now returned to normal!!

Yes, he'll definately need one of those to pass the meds
Old Jun 12th 2006, 10:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
Hi,

Both me and my OH smoke between 15 and 20 per day, no problems at all on our medicals and we have had a visa since January, so unless you have a smoking related disease then you will be OK.

Oooh Wendy, I hadn't picked up on the fact thay you guys are smokers!
Old Jun 12th 2006, 10:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Oooh Wendy, I hadn't picked up on the fact thay you guys are smokers!

Hopefully we won't be for too much longer. When we get through all the stressful stuff we are going to have a go at quitting
Old Jun 12th 2006, 10:31 pm
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
Hopefully we won't be for too much longer. When we get through all the stressful stuff we are going to have a go at quitting

Wendy

It's all bloody stressfull - quit now while you've got an incentive - new life and all that. (me and hubby 5 weeks now since we stopped)

Haven't stopped drinking though.

Lou
xx
Old Jun 12th 2006, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

My OH is a heavy smoker, I'm social smoker, he didnt smoke just before we went in for the medical, but as soon as he got result on he's x-ray, he went and had fag outside,
also my OH is epileptic (only in he's sleep)and he was accepted for he's medical, he takes cocktail of medications everyday, so dont worry your OH would fine.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 9:19 am
Mount Eliza

Joanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant future

I suffer from asthma and smoked 15-20 per day, I know not good with asthma. I passed medical no probs, just had a few frowns from the Doctor when he asked if I smoked.

Gave up smoking 10 weeks ago, had last ciggie at Heathrow airport and not touched one since So if I can do it anyone can, and I have the willpower of a goldfish!!

Jo
Old Jun 14th 2006, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Joanne
I suffer from asthma and smoked 15-20 per day, I know not good with asthma. I passed medical no probs, just had a few frowns from the Doctor when he asked if I smoked.

Gave up smoking 10 weeks ago, had last ciggie at Heathrow airport and not touched one since So if I can do it anyone can, and I have the willpower of a goldfish!!

Jo

Well done you.

My last ciggie will also be at the airport in the UK. I will be armed with patches, gum and anything else I can think of to stop me from lighting up as soon as I step off the plane. If I can do it for the 33 hours it is going to take to get to Adelaide, then I may as well carry on not smoking.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Downies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Is smoking a problem for medicals?

Me & OH are both ex smokers, had to declare that in the medical form and how many we used to smoke and for how many years - OH been non smoker for 9 months and me for 1.5 years - we didnt half enjoy the well done from the doctor!

I cant imagine trying to stop smoking after the flight - Me & OH were unbearable while we were in the first couple of months of quitting - would imagine the settling in would be stressful. Major Kudos to everyone who has done it though!!

I agree with the new life being a good motivation - this is the only thing that worked on OH!!

good luck for medicals

Paula
Old Jun 14th 2006, 11:53 am
Pasta Fari

Karl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Joanne

Jo
I wish I had as much willpower as a goldfish! ;o)

Karl
Old Jun 14th 2006, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Briz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant future

My hubby was a smoker (10 a day) and passed just fine. He too quit during the move over here- he bought his allowance of duty free's, smoked them and hasn't touched one since.

I guess it's a good time to make a fresh start!