Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The smoking ban - My take

The smoking ban - My take

Old Nov 16th 2004, 2:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The smoking ban - My take

Originally Posted by Three Legs
The Moolah !!!

It's all coin for the Treasury.

I'm sure they've got their whizz kid experts balancing the Taxes income / Health Service smoking related expense.

Prohibition didn't work with the grog, it sure as hell won't work with the demon weed.

Never mind, eh.

Three Legs

Its a no win argument. Smoking is the dumbest thing to do to yourself. I know.

But I don't inflict it on others, not even Mrs JTL. I never smoke anywhere enclosed. Not even my house, or garage.

Whereas the pollution from cars, as Deadmeat says, is everywhere. You don't have a choice, and kids breath it in all the time, going to school and coming back.

So I say, lay off responsible smokers, we have our own little furtive habit, we may sneak out to the back of the garden for a wee puff, but yes, ban smoking it food areas, but make these mothers (or househusbands) in their 4x4 's park 500 metres from the school and walk them there, cos with all those monster cars around the school gates its a Carbon Monoxide deathtrap.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Nov 16th 2004, 2:42 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Where will it end?
Attached Thumbnails The smoking ban - My take-walkers.jpg  
Old Nov 16th 2004, 2:58 pm
crashbandicoot

Originally Posted by Three Legs
In my opinion smokers as a rule don't really give a shiny shite on how their habit affects others...

The amount of times that I've had a meal ruined in a restaurant or pub by someone on the next table hitching up when they've finished or even worse between courses has really turned be into a Pro-ban lobbyist.

Smokers now know the damage it's causing them and the surrounding *innocents*.

I had to *laugh* at the viewpoint expressed by some that banning smoking from pubs etc would force the smoker to light up more in their own homes hence inflicting more damage to their children's health.

We're talking here about the same people that drive around in their cars, fag between the fingers on a 45 degree angle, hands locked to the wheel...window down an inch thinking the kids in the back aren't sucking anything in...jesus wept that annoys me.

I work in a factory environment where smoking is still tolerated. My missus absolutely detests the smell on my clothes the minute I walk through the door at night...the kids aren't too thrilled either...nor I.

On a Sunday morning after being out with the lads the night before, my throat and lungs feel like I've done 60 Benson's...

The Ban...Can't wait...Long overdue.

Be prepared for the Bank huddles on the street to increase in numbers as the smoking employee's waste 2 hours of their company's time littering the streets with dimps...

Cynical view...?

Don't think so.

FACT.

Three Legs

Well said and couldn't agree more. If smokers want to kill themselves then they can do it in the confines of your own home. As a non smoker, I enjoy life and want to keep enjoying life without some brainless t*** inflicting their death smoke in my direction.
Freedom - love the sound of that word!
Three cheers Three Legs!

Old Nov 16th 2004, 3:01 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crashbandicoot
Well said and couldn't agree more. If smokers want to kill themselves then they can do it in the confines of your own home. As a non smoker, I enjoy life and want to keep enjoying life without some brainless t*** inflicting their death smoke in my direction.
Freedom - love the sound of that word!
Three cheers Three Legs!
Just got home from school have we, troll?
Old Nov 16th 2004, 3:09 pm
crashbandicoot

Originally Posted by worzel
Just got home from school have we, troll?
Hate smoking...always have done...always will. Are all the people who are anti-smoking trolls then? What a pile of c**p! There is nothing wrong with what I said and I stand by it. Still at school actually - THAT'S WHERE TEACHERS TEND TO BE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Nov 16th 2004, 3:14 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crashbandicoot
Hate smoking...always have done...always will. Are all the people who are anti-smoking trolls then? What a pile of c**p! There is nothing wrong with what I said and I stand by it. Still at school actually - THAT'S WHERE TEACHERS TEND TO BE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Personally I hate smoking too. I was great going to Dublin this Summer and drinking in bars where there was no smoke. But that doesn't make me a troll. Repeatedly posting imflammatory posts on various threads in capital letters would do, though.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 3:23 pm
crashbandicoot

Originally Posted by worzel
Personally I hate smoking too. I was great going to Dublin this Summer and drinking in bars where there was no smoke. But that doesn't make me a troll. Repeatedly posting imflammatory posts on various threads in capital letters would do, though.

The post above was my eighteenth post. We both tend to have strong views about things and those are the posts we tend to comment on. I would rather express an opinion when I have one than be someone who sits here, reads and agrees because its easier and a good way of boosting posts...or even just accuses anyone with a low rating and an opinion of being a troll!! Notice you joined this site a month before me - as a result of this are you more entitled to an opinion than I am?

Old Nov 16th 2004, 3:25 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
But I don't inflict it on others, not even Mrs JTL. I never smoke anywhere enclosed. Not even my house, or garage.

JTL

As an ex-smoker and we know what Hitlers we are I have to say that until very recently hubby still smoked. He would go outside to enjoy one just before going to bed. Stand in the cold fresh air, put the butt out, come back in, and all I could smell was cigarette smoke. It is filthy stuff that just doesn't clear from lungs for ages, so you probably are inflicting it on others without realising.

Saying that, smoking has to be one of the hardest things to give up, once hooked and some people don't want to anyway and last time I looked, we still lived in a democracy.

Agree totally it should be banned from restaurants etc, but smokers are still human and are entitled to a room where they can smoke.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

sharkin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypen20
As an ex-smoker and we know what Hitlers we are I have to say that until very recently hubby still smoked. He would go outside to enjoy one just before going to bed. Stand in the cold fresh air, put the butt out, come back in, and all I could smell was cigarette smoke. It is filthy stuff that just doesn't clear from lungs for ages, so you probably are inflicting it on others without realising.

Saying that, smoking has to be one of the hardest things to give up, once hooked and some people don't want to anyway and last time I looked, we still lived in a democracy.

Agree totally it should be banned from restaurants etc, but smokers are still human and are entitled to a room where they can smoke.

A stupid habit and I hate it when people come up to talk me after having a fag... back off ashtray breath...
Old Nov 16th 2004, 4:20 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sharkin
A stupid habit and I hate it when people come up to talk me after having a fag... back off ashtray breath...
Maybe you could wear some sort of identification so that smokers can avoid you without troubling themselves?
Old Nov 16th 2004, 8:16 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by podgypossum
Hmmm..

i am a smoker..i NEVER have kids in MY car, never smoke anywhere that i am not legally allowed or invited to do so, and wouldnt ever contemplate smoking in someones home..... BUT..and this is a big but..

i would love it if the government would ban smoking full stop!!..that way i would have no choice but to stop doing it.Sadly, i am a mere mortal hooked on the evil stuff, and and its one of my biggest failings.. banning it will never happen though as they make too much money from it. This must be the case as i cannot see any other reason for them to keep it legal...can you?
It would be the least hypocritical way forward. As you are hooked on the weed the government is hooked on the taxes and the parties hooked on the political donations.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

You are right BP...of course its the least hypocrital and easiest way to greatly reduce the problem for all concerned. Whilst i totally accept responsibility for my habit, i'm human and have failings just like every other person in the world and this is one of them. I'm not a tw*t, as someone said above.

Polly mentions the guilt trip over getting sick etc... agreed...but by the same token, what about drinkers and the effect it causes on family around those who do it? My mother was an alcoholic, and apart from the fact she killed herself from related illnesses linked to it, she wasnt a very pleasant person most of the time..but i find it really ironic that drink is totally acceptable by most people. Dont get me wrong..i'm no teetotaller, but only drink occassionally.

We all have failings and vices, but many people have their own standards as to what they think are more acceptable than others.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:33 pm
Cotswolds to Perth

Fremantleraider will become famous soon enough

right i wanna add my 2pence worth or 2 Aus cents worth hehe.

i am a smoker and i like to have a smoke.
I even enjoy going to non smoking places but i like somtimens to have a smoke after a meal.
The thing that REALLY grips my winkle is...................
The governmet wants to ban smoking in pubs etc, ok fine BUT i live in a pub, it is my home I WILL NOT BE TOLD BY ANYONE WHAT I CAN AND CAN NOT DO IN MY OWN 4 WALLS!!!
I am soooooo up in arms about this that if for some strange twist in fate i am still in the UK when this ban comes into force (god i hope not!) i will still smoke in the pub and i will not ever pay any fine put on me for doing it even if that means going to jail.
You can write what you like about this post coz i really dont care.
it is a free country (only just) and i respect other people opionin (?) and this is mine.
when i get to OZ in a few weeks (fingers crossed) i will be giving up smoking in aid to help my dad who NEEDS to stop because of health reasons but i wont lecture smokers as it is there god given right to smoke but only in special smoking areas.

Oh and one more thing the pub where i live has more non smoking areas than smoking ( the smoking area is a small room about 10 by 12 feet and has drafty windows!

FremantleRaider
Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:39 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

I really didn't want to join this thread but am doing a disservice if I don't. I am extremely well versed on all aspects of smoking.
WHO figures: Out of 100 smokers, 70 would like to give up, 45 will actively try and give up and 5 will actually succeed.
Of the 45 that try, they will often try 4 - 7 different methods, gum, patches, inhalers, hypnosis, cold turkey etc. NRT products (Nictone Replacement Therapy) merely substitute how you obtain your dosage of the addictive drug, nicotine, without addressing the complete and sudden stop of the "habit" of smoking. Their succes rate is listed as "twice as effective as will power". Will-power accounts for just 1% of succesful quitting.
There is a product with a published 60% success rate, www.nicobloc.com. Using this liquid on your filter, one drop stops 33% of tar (cancer causing) and nicotine (addictive agent) coming through. 2 drops 66% and 3 drops 99%. Folllowing their programme, after 5 - 6 weeks, you can stop smoking without even noticing!
It really does work as I have seen many people quit using this method.

If you really want to quit (that is the most important factor), it will work!

Sounds like an ad, but all I want to do is help smokers that want to stop to do so. It really does kill you and those around you.

One more fact, in China, 15 billion cigarettes are smoked EVERY DAY. Scary stuff.

Andrew
Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:45 pm
Cotswolds to Perth

Fremantleraider will become famous soon enough

Andrew,

I just wanna say THANKS for the web link!!!!!!!!!!
I am gonna pass it on to my dad and also buy some for myself.

I know it aint a majic bullet to cure me of smoking and i know that will power is needed too but the product is just what i am looking for!!
Thanks again!!

FremantleRaider

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.