Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Smokers in Australia!

Smokers in Australia!

Old Jul 19th 2006, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

blackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Smokers in Australia!

Originally Posted by noonard
Yeah - it's probably exactly that. Still, if it stops kids starting I'm not one to complain.

Well in 2007 you won`t be able to smoke anywhere, only outdoors and in your own home thats if your family will allow it, sorry, I reckon its time to give up don`t you, and I`m an x smoker, and I must say Ilike my new life

Sheila
Old Jul 19th 2006, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by stacey and jordan
It makes me mad when i see people smoking in cars when there are young children sat in the back inhaling all there smoke. Stacey xx
I picked my daughter up from Brownies the other night and while waiting I overheard a mum telling her friend most vociferously how she'd "do time for her kids". Imagine my surprise when she then proceeded to load them into a car with a broken brake light, leave the kids seatbelts undone, and spark up before she drove off. Yep, she REALLY cares about her kids!
Old Jul 19th 2006, 11:53 am
A roo in my top paddock!

Dreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jon and alex
Damn right! My biggest hates are smoking in restaurants and, even worse, beaches covered in cigarette butts. I have been on so many beautiful beaches that have been ruined by smokers ditching their fag ends on the sand. It really annoys me.
I really love the fact that in Queensland you can actually go to a pub and not be forced to breathe in second hand smoke. Its great.
OMG I never realised that Oz was so "anti smoking"! How fantastic is that ?! I am as against people smoking in public places as anyone can be ,so to hear that is like music to my ears!
I also hate to see cigarrette buts everywhere and totally agree that it should be stopped.

I have a friend who , bless her , has tried seriously to stop twice now with no success and when she goes for a fag at work and then comes back she absolutely stinks !To make matters worse we are nurses in an operating theatre !We still have a designated smoke room bang opposite the busiest theatre in the hospital - and its one of the busiest rooms going!
I ve tried to tell my buddy that if someone was looking after me after i had had an operation who smelt like she does then i would be very offended and would probably throw up ( not in so many words you understand!)
Come September though the smoke room will be history as the whole hospital is going to be a non smoking area.Even the grounds!Don t know quite how they will police this but, hey, its all good as far as im concerned.Im fed up of working a long shift and walking out of the hospital and looking forward to gasping a good lung full of lovley fresh air... when what you get is a lung full of someone elses second hand smoke cos they all (patients too with drips , drains etc) stand just outside the door fagging !
I knew i shouldn t join this thread - told you i was anti !
Great news to hear of Oz being more forward thinking in those terms than we are in the UK .
I shall look forward to going out for a drink or a meal and not having to shower and wash everything i have worn (even though i showered before) before i go to bed .That will be lovley.Thankyou.
Old Jul 19th 2006, 12:11 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

There are loads of smokers in Perth .... and I have noticed smoking habits are just the same here as they are in UK. A ban will just send them into the street so everybody will notice it alot more and all you anti's can have a nice winge fest about how you are all victims
Old Jul 19th 2006, 12:14 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by noonard
An odd subject perhaps, but I thought I'd get other people's opinions on this!

Being a smoker, whenever I have been in Australia I have found the attitude towards it rather different than in the UK. I don't mean the fact that you can't smoke in any restaurants or in a lot of pubs - actually I think that's probably a good thing - but the social stigma attached to being a smoker seems to be much worse than in the UK.

I found that sometimes when you're chatting away to someone and getting on like old friends, then the subject comes up, it's almost like admitting "yeah, I've been in prison..." ! An exaggeration perhaps, but the atmosphere certainly tends to get colder! Certainly a lot of my fiance's family just cannot get their heads around the fact that I smoke, and some seem to find it really hard to accept.

In the UK you just don't get that, or if you do it's nothing like as bad. Everybody knows that smoking is not the best idea you could have, but so long as you're not bothering others the attitude tends to be much more relaxed - "It's your choice".

Part of me sees it as the perfect excuse to give up, but being the bolshy git that I am another part of me thinks of it as a chance to protest for my right to choose!

Either way, I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed a difference in attitude or if it's just me!
I disagree with this. As many people smoke here as in the UK. Go out in Perth or Sydney on a Friday night & see how many people, especially young women, are smoking. Loads. Some Australians like to think that their country is anti-smoking but the reality is quite different.
Old Jul 19th 2006, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

I'd never noticed this until I was speaking to some-one at work last week,talking about when she visited the UK. She had this impresssion that the whole of the UK were chain smokers, said every place she went was full of smokers & that she felt really out of it by being a non-smoker. I was stumped at her opinion at the time, as when I was in the UK I'd not seen it like that. However, if Aussies are so anti-smoking & think of it as so anti-social, thats probably why she thought UK was so bad.
Old Jul 19th 2006, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maggy
Im a smoker have tried to give up a few times but if im honest I really enjoy a ciggie therefor will continue to smoke until I am ready to give up.

Not when someone tells me I should.

What I really do object to is when I am in a smoking part of a pub and a non smoker is standing next to me and gives me that repulsive look.

FFS go stand in the no smoking area and leave me alone.

The majority of pubs are no smoking and we have a tiny area and yet the buggers still want to stand there and have the nerve to whinge.

BOG OFF PLEASE AND GIVE ME A BREAK.

Go join Greenpeace.

Mags

A Happy Smoker
Hey, if you are happy being a drug addict then good on ya, I personally find smokers disgusting and selfish and the sooner it is banned 100% the better. Why don't you bog off and give the rest of us a break, it is you who is in the minority.

By the way, you won't give up when you want to (cos your an addict). It's the ciggies that control you, not the other way round
Old Jul 19th 2006, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

Kangaroorick is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by sel
There are loads of smokers in Perth .... and I have noticed smoking habits are just the same here as they are in UK. A ban will just send them into the street so everybody will notice it alot more and all you anti's can have a nice winge fest about how you are all victims
I managed to quit whilst I lived in Southern California, and started again when I moved to Perth, there were so many smokers there!

I've quit again now im a bit older (never see 30 again), but yer, six years ago I certainly never saw an anti-smoking movement in Perth.

Times change though, banning smoking in all public places is the way to go, im not against smokers, but I am sure as hell against tabacoo companys and the way tabacco hooks people.........I never wonted to quit this last time, I did it for my GF, but I am so glad I did, best decission I never made
Old Jul 19th 2006, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

noonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Kangaroorick
I managed to quit whilst I lived in Southern California, and started again when I moved to Perth, there were so many smokers there!

I've quit again now im a bit older (never see 30 again), but yer, six years ago I certainly never saw an anti-smoking movement in Perth.

Times change though, banning smoking in all public places is the way to go, im not against smokers, but I am sure as hell against tabacoo companys and the way tabacco hooks people.........I never wonted to quit this last time, I did it for my GF, but I am so glad I did, best decission I never made
Wow - an ex-smoker with a non-judgemental attitude. You sir are a breath of fresh air (figuratively and literally )

Anyway - I apologise for starting this one up - I didn't expect the insults to start flying but hey - I guess people feel pretty strongly about the subject.

Can't we all just have a hug and get along? I'll have a shower first, promise...