Smoke

Old Oct 4th 2004, 12:49 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Smoke

I’m going to let my cheerful Pollyana image drop briefly here to let off steam – or to let off smoke would be more accurate!

I’ve seen discussions on here about the air quality in Brisbane; I’ve never agreed that there is a real smog or pollution problem, but after this weekend, I think anyone heading this way should pack a smoke-hood, in with their rose-tinted specs.
The cause, I have just established, was a SMALL grass fire on marshland near the airport/Gateway motorway (about 10 minutes drive from us). The result – the unit smelt so strongly of smoke during the fire on Friday evening that I was running round checking it wasn’t us. And yesterday, owing to smoke residue floating in the air, the whole place had a faint air of burnt kippers.
The scariest bit is that last night – for the first time ever – I spent the entire night gasping for breath and clearly suffering a minor asthma attack. I’m still gasping nicely and can feel my lungs struggling for air, even though I’ve been at work for two hours. I’ve never had asthma, only bronchitis as a kid.

Note to any asthmatics en route here …… stock up with Ventolin or whatever, and anyone who thinks they have the potential to suffer – be aware of the danger, even an insignificant little grassfire can linger for days. I hate to think what it would be like near a big blaze.
Old Oct 4th 2004, 12:52 am
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Smoke

oh dear polly..hope you soon feel better.

last summer here there were a few bush fires near us and yeah I agree the stench is awful.
One was at night and I could barely get to sleep for the stink..We had slept with the windows open before but that night ..no way I had to shut them to try to get rid of the pong
Old Oct 4th 2004, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Dear Pollyanna,

Hope you feel better real soon. It's terrifying - hmm?

I never got hayfever until I came to Melbourne - Pollen Capital.
Old Oct 4th 2004, 1:34 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G'Day
Dear Pollyanna,

Hope you feel better real soon. It's terrifying - hmm?

I never got hayfever until I came to Melbourne - Pollen Capital.
Tis, very scary, my mum used to have asthma so at least I know whats going on, but its not nice at all.
Old Oct 4th 2004, 1:37 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I’m going to let my cheerful Pollyana image drop briefly here to let off steam – or to let off smoke would be more accurate!

I’ve seen discussions on here about the air quality in Brisbane; I’ve never agreed that there is a real smog or pollution problem, but after this weekend, I think anyone heading this way should pack a smoke-hood, in with their rose-tinted specs.

The smell of smoke in Brisbane CBD was very strong on Friday, and I saw the thcik smoke in the air in the direction of the airport. A few weeks ago, when there were some fires near Ipswich, the air hung thick with smoke, even looking at the back fence there was a blur form the smoke in the air.

I'm high up in a CBD building with a view of the horizon, smog appears as a brown smudge at the horizon and on Friday it was thicker and darker than what I had seen before. I had never seen this in the Uk (more due to lack of a view of the horizon) and Polly is right to warn people, there is often advice on the radio when it is like that for asthamtics, elderly and kids to stay indoors. Living near the bush it is always a bit worrying if I can smell smoke when I leave the house.
Old Oct 4th 2004, 1:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

On the subject of bushfire, driving from Perigian to Noosa on friday theres been a bushfire being fought for two days, fire crews, volunteers lots of people lots of effort. So its under control but obvious damage, small amount 33 hectacres but really obvious on the side of the highway and still smoking in places, the idiot in front of us drives through it and then throws his cigarette butt out of the window :scared:

Looked like a local too, white van all fitted out with racks etc, probably a local tradie or service guy, there should be a jail sentence. I think most bushfires are started by humans not nature, its surely no coincidence most start on the side of the highway where cigarettes get lobbed, no matter banning it on the beaches it should be banned in cars too! because I know where those butts end up.
Old Oct 4th 2004, 1:51 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana

The cause, I have just established, was a SMALL grass fire on marshland near the airport/Gateway motorway (about 10 minutes drive from us). The result – the unit smelt so strongly of smoke during the fire on Friday evening that I was running round checking it wasn’t us. And yesterday, owing to smoke residue floating in the air, the whole place had a faint air of burnt kippers.
The scariest bit is that last night – for the first time ever – I spent the entire night gasping for breath and clearly suffering a minor asthma attack. I’m still gasping nicely and can feel my lungs struggling for air, even though I’ve been at work for two hours. I’ve never had asthma, only bronchitis as a kid.

Note to any asthmatics en route here …… stock up with Ventolin or whatever, and anyone who thinks they have the potential to suffer – be aware of the danger, even an insignificant little grassfire can linger for days. I hate to think what it would be like near a big blaze.

Thats not very nice I think there was up at Burpengary yesterday too, and one near us in Geebung last week.
Blokely has asthma and is okay with it, though is asthma is very mild and he hasn't had an attack since 2000. You must have been right in the wind direction of it
They were saying on the news this morning, that the firemen are happy that the "schoolies" are back at school today, as apparently they have been the cause of most fires these past two weeks
Old Oct 4th 2004, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jad n rich
On the subject of bushfire, driving from Perigian to Noosa on friday theres been a bushfire being fought for two days, fire crews, volunteers lots of people lots of effort. So its under control but obvious damage, small amount 33 hectacres but really obvious on the side of the highway and still smoking in places, the idiot in front of us drives through it and then throws his cigarette butt out of the window :scared:

Looked like a local too, white van all fitted out with racks etc, probably a local tradie or service guy, there should be a jail sentence. I think most bushfires are started by humans not nature, its surely no coincidence most start on the side of the highway where cigarettes get lobbed, no matter banning it on the beaches it should be banned in cars too! because I know where those butts end up.
Brilliant idea!