Reload this Page >

Smog in Christchurch

Smog in Christchurch

Old Aug 4th 2003, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Smog in Christchurch

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
I've read the article and his opinion seems to be in dispute. He talks about peak levels and average levels. I would agree that if you measure these values at rush hour at Khyber Pass, the levels could be above average, as this is virtually a canyon with a motorway overpass, which on a still day would trap all this garbage.

You also mention no emmission standards on new and used vehicles, which could well be correct. BUT most of these vehicles come from Japan unmodified are you saying they have no emmission controls either as most of the vehicles in NZ are from Japan.

NZ has no local car manufacture so all vehicles are imported and the last car I had Mazada 323 had a cat convertor as standard.
Also Auckland is surrounded on 2 sides by oceans which would have the effect of disperseing most of these polluntants.
I am totally with gOD on this one. Today (2.30pm) i counted no less than THREE vehicles belching crap out of their exhausts on the southern motorway. This in the short distance between getting on at the top of Hobson st to leaving at Gillies ave. (2 or 3 kms for those who dont know auckland). Worst offenders are nearly always: tradesmens vans (one of todays was a Vector van no less), lorries & busses. So much for 'clean public transport'.

NZ Govt comissioned NIWA to do a study which found:

"Is it true that as many people die from vehicle emissions as from the road toll? Yes, the recent study by NIWA, for the Ministry of Transport, on the Health Effects due to Motor Vehicle Air Pollution in New Zealand estimates between 240 and 560 (best estimate 399) adults die prematurely each year due to long-term exposure to vehicle emissions. This is the first time in New Zealand that we looked at the potential “invisible� road toll. A copy of this report is available from the Ministry of Transport. More detailed research is underway now through the Health Research Council to test these preliminary results."

Full report, which makes very interesting reading at:
www.scoop.co.nz/mason/stories/PA0305/S00085.htm

So there you have it. At least the same number of people die in NZ from exhaust emissions as die on the roads in accidents (NZ road toll March 02 - March 03 = 403 www.ltsa.govt.nz/research/toll.html). Still think Auckland air is nice and clean, kiwipaul?!

Russ
Old Aug 4th 2003, 4:45 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh well, beats getting cancer from moth sprays.