Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Smart banking in Australia

Smart banking in Australia

Old Oct 19th 2004, 9:52 pm
making your move easier

melbournehelp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Smart banking in Australia

The National , one of the big 4 banks has released two new bank accounts that are revolutionising the market.
1) $3 NATIONAL SMART DIRECT ACCOUNT. if you mainly bank electronically -pay bills , move money etc , then this account has a flat $3 fee (monthly) for unlimited nat. electronic tx's,inc EFTPOS(a switch sysytem),atm/cash machine withdrawls,internet banking and telephone banking tx's.

2)$5 NATIONAL SMART ACCESS ACCOUNT.Ideal, says the literature, if you write cheques,make over the counter withdrawls.Includes unlimited deposits,EFTPOS,atm,internet and telephone TX's .
If you keep your balance over $3000, the monthly fee is waived .

Note: as with all accounts the Govt adds charges each month, but these accounts are the best on the market so far.Other banks only allow you a number of limited transactions before you start to pay per TX.

visit national.com.au - in Oz call 13 13 32
You should also look at a savings maximizer account through ING - the branchless bank .They offer no account fees/TX fees, you can link it to your bank account and you get 5% interest on your balance .www.ingdirect.com.au

Anyone better that ?

Melbournehelp is a wholly independent advisor for new and prospective migrants.Registered business no B1777736L
Old Oct 19th 2004, 10:10 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Smart banking in Australia

For transaction accounts the online savings account with HSBC with no monthly fees should be considered. Unlimited electronic transactions, 5 non HSBC ATM withdrawls and access at post offices nationwide.

In NSW there is no BAD tax (only on cheque accounts) and I believe Tassies pay a tax on credit card transactions.

Bankwest's new savings account should put some additional pressure on the big 4. I use ING's savings maximiser and cannot fault it.
Old Oct 20th 2004, 6:19 am
making your move easier

melbournehelp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Smart banking in Australia

Originally Posted by bondipom
For transaction accounts the online savings account with HSBC with no monthly fees should be considered. Unlimited electronic transactions, 5 non HSBC ATM withdrawls and access at post offices nationwide.

In NSW there is no BAD tax (only on cheque accounts) and I believe Tassies pay a tax on credit card transactions.

Bankwest's new savings account should put some additional pressure on the big 4. I use ING's savings maximiser and cannot fault it.
Thanks BP,
have to watch those pesky 5c pieces !!