Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Small Things Large Contracts

Small Things Large Contracts

Old Jan 11th 2008, 7:44 am
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question Small Things Large Contracts

Hi,

Very soon in Australia we all have to sign contracts (36 months) to buy daily vegetables, daily fruits and daily groceries.

The term contract is loosing its value as it is so common and frequent now. Many people doesnt care to read all the terms and conditions when they sign it. Its simply impossible to understand each and every word (tricky English/Jargons etc.)

Where we are heading and what should we do???

Thanks

Last edited by smurtaza; Jan 11th 2008 at 7:48 am.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 8:09 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Small Things Large Contracts

Originally Posted by smurtaza
Hi,

Very soon in Australia we all have to sign contracts (36 months) to buy daily vegetables, daily fruits and daily groceries.

The term contract is loosing its value as it is so common and frequent now. Many people doesnt care to read all the terms and conditions when they sign it. Its simply impossible to understand each and every word (tricky English/Jargons etc.)

Thanks
I'm sorry, but honestly, WTF are you drinking cos I need several pints of it?

A three year contract to buy fruit and veg?
Old Jan 11th 2008, 8:11 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'm sorry, but honestly, WTF are you drinking cos I need several pints of it?

A three year contract to buy fruit and veg? http://img116.exs.cx/img116/1231/z7shysterical.gif
Bugger, you got there first Bit confused though. I signed a contract about fruit and veg when I came through passport control when I first got here - didn't you
Old Jan 11th 2008, 10:16 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Bugger, you got there first Bit confused though. I signed a contract about fruit and veg when I came through passport control when I first got here - didn't you
Oh yes, there was a nice man there with a piece of card but I only signed the one to say I didn't have any illegal fruit, didn't realise I should have signed one to get permission to buy some legally.

Does that make me a major criminal because I'm buying it without a contract? Will I get deported and sent home.....(Polly rushes out to buy tons of black market fruit just in case it's true )
Old Jan 11th 2008, 10:54 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks
I presume that your referring to the Australian acceptance that its somehow OK and standard practice to enter into long contracts 24+ months.

I went into the Telstra shop to get a new NextG sim card and contract since I've been on vodafone prepay but the coverage is shite. Sadly Telstra do have the best network coverage so I go in and ask for it.

After sudden confusion that a guy wants just a sim card and not a phone (I have an unlocked phone which they dont even stock yet), failing a credit check because somebody with the name Janet with my surname in Tasmania owes $500, we finally arrive at the magic question.

"Do you want a 12, 24 or 36 month contract ?". Is there any advantage to a long term says I ?

No, but you should take the 36 month contract for security. After spending the next few moments laughing uncontrollably at the vain efforts to convince me that having a 3 year minimum term on my mobile phone would be a good idea and offers me nothing, I left with my SIM card some hour and a half later...

But I have to agree, it seems that most companies would like to tie you up in ridiculous contract lengths and the Australian public seems to have now accepted this as somehow OK and normal.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 1:02 pm
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: Small Things Large Contracts

Originally Posted by Centurion
I presume that your referring to the Australian acceptance that its somehow OK and standard practice to enter into long contracts 24+ months.

I went into the Telstra shop to get a new NextG sim card and contract since I've been on vodafone prepay but the coverage is shite. Sadly Telstra do have the best network coverage so I go in and ask for it.

After sudden confusion that a guy wants just a sim card and not a phone (I have an unlocked phone which they dont even stock yet), failing a credit check because somebody with the name Janet with my surname in Tasmania owes $500, we finally arrive at the magic question.

"Do you want a 12, 24 or 36 month contract ?". Is there any advantage to a long term says I ?

No, but you should take the 36 month contract for security. After spending the next few moments laughing uncontrollably at the vain efforts to convince me that having a 3 year minimum term on my mobile phone would be a good idea and offers me nothing, I left with my SIM card some hour and a half later...

But I have to agree, it seems that most companies would like to tie you up in ridiculous contract lengths and the Australian public seems to have now accepted this as somehow OK and normal.
Not only mobile phones, Foxtel, Electricity, Gas, Furniture, Electronic, Car, Fruits (coming up) , Veggie(coming up) etc. all try to take you on contract with complicated English (Terms And Conditions).
Even if you have money to buy the product/service even then you have to think a lot because all these companies try their best to get more than required (fees, paying contract earlier fees etc.) through these contracts.

I am not sure but I think contract breaking must be very common in general public in Australia.General public must be facing a lot of the credit history problems.

Last edited by smurtaza; Jan 11th 2008 at 1:04 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 2:48 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I think I've only signed one contract with time constraints and that was Austar and the time was 6 months.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 3:11 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

\Where we are heading and what should we do???
Move to Bangladesh.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 3:15 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Move to Bangladesh.
Yeah but you must have a visa that lasts 36 months
Old Jan 12th 2008, 3:16 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
The visa terms and conditions suck too.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 3:20 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Being Irish here in England i have learned to sign nothing,might find myself banged up for something i didnt do
Old Jan 12th 2008, 6:17 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Im with Polly and Moneypen.

3 year fruit n veg contract !! pmsl
Old Jan 12th 2008, 8:43 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Im with Polly and Moneypen.

3 year fruit n veg contract !! pmsl
I believe there is now a 5 year contract for bananas though, danger insurance as they have to be picked in a cyclone zone
Old Jan 12th 2008, 9:25 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Apply for citizenship there.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 9:31 am
Banned

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I think I've only signed one contract with time constraints and that was Austar and the time was 6 months.
Lucky you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.