Small minded idiots

Old Nov 21st 2003, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

ayanem is an unknown quantity at this point

Try moving to a Suffolk village
Old Nov 21st 2003, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

africand is an unknown quantity at this point

It is the same where ever you go - Australian in the UK, English in Australia, etc, etc, etc. That doesnt make it right, but its not fair to single out Australians, ... In fact your rant is Racist in its self.

Like another member said - Take Monday off.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 8:24 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by ayanem
Try moving to a Suffolk village
Self Suffolkation?
Old Nov 21st 2003, 8:41 am
No need for rose tinted.

the Wombats has a spectacular aura aboutthe Wombats has a spectacular aura aboutthe Wombats has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by Ceri
There's racism everywhere in the world. Are you out of your comfort zone? Try working on site in England as a welsh person - I've had racist comments from you English... ie taking your jobs etc, taffy b*stard, heard them all. it doesn't matter it's a site job and won the contract..

Grow a thick skin.

Isn't you who lived in Sing? Come on don't tell me you never received any type of racism there? I won't believe you, having come across it myself over there on quite a few occasions myself.

cheers
Totaly agree, I am from Wales with a southern accent and all I ever got when in England was Blodwyn this and Blodwyn that. Or the usual stupid sheep shagging jokes. Most people seem to think I am a little dull and they always talk to me with a stupid welsh accent. I just ignore them. Having said that when I was in OZ if anyone started on at me about bieng a pom or the England cricket & football team, I just say "sorry am not English I am Welsh" shuts them up straight away, my mate is Irish and they leave him alone once they no he is from Ireland. They give the New Zealanders as rough a ride as the Poms.

English people have been doing it to Indians and jamaicans for years, name calling so now you can imagine how they ever felt to be in another country and picked on.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

AussieinLondon is an unknown quantity at this point

Rant away, God knows it's a good way to get it off your chest.

But: Wake up.

You are not royalty. It's not a colony anymore. You are an immigrant, as I am here. I get endless rubbish from your compatriots.

If you would like to meet a truly mindless t*** then feel free to stroll into my office and meet our cockney colleague abuses (there is a limit to taking the p***) people from Yorkshire, Manchester, Dundee, Donegal, Melbourne, Cardiff, Surrey, Bosnia, Egypt, Germany.... (v. multicultural office).

Thick skin. Pride in who you are and what you do. F*** the rest of them. People worth anything know your worth too.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by AussieinLondon

You are not royalty. It's not a colony anymore. You are an immigrant, as I am here. I get endless rubbish from your compatriots.

If you would like to meet a truly mindless t*** then feel free to stroll into my office and meet our cockney colleague abuses (there is a limit to taking the p***) people from Yorkshire, Manchester, Dundee, Donegal, Melbourne, Cardiff, Surrey, Bosnia, Egypt, Germany.... (v. multicultural office).

Thick skin. Pride in who you are and what you do. F*** the rest of them. People worth anything know your worth too.
Yeah, '.c.n.oath mate
Old Nov 21st 2003, 8:52 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by j4yne
English people have been doing it to Indians and jamaicans for years, name calling so now you can imagine how they ever felt to be in another country and picked on.
Pity the fleas can not discriminate.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

I think the level of racism or ribbing you get depends on where you are in the country. I am from a small northern town in England which is a different country in terms of attitudes to immigrants than where I live now, in London, which is truely much more tolerant to different races.

I assume it is the same in Australia, and I know plenty of people in Sydney who have no problems with racist attitudes (but plenty of ribbing as Poms).

Small town attitudes exist throughout - if you are going to live in one you are going to have to get used to it or move on.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by AussieinLondon

Ditto

OzTennis
Old Nov 21st 2003, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sjn2003
I think the level of racism or ribbing you get depends on where you are in the country. I am from a small northern town in England which is a different country in terms of attitudes to immigrants than where I live now, in London, which is truely much more tolerant to different races.

I assume it is the same in Australia, and I know plenty of people in Sydney who have no problems with racist attitudes (but plenty of ribbing as Poms).

Small town attitudes exist throughout - if you are going to live in one you are going to have to get used to it or move on.
You are right that the extent to which it exists can largely depend on where you are, but small towns in Oz don't necessarily have 'small town attitudes'. I find the small town where my sister lives in northern Vic is more than welcoming to people regardless of race - their population is predominantly Italian and Greek, with a huge Tongan community, Samoans, Vietnamese, Thai, Afghanis and Iraqis.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
You are right that the extent to which it exists can largely depend on where you are, but small towns in Oz don't necessarily have 'small town attitudes'. I find the small town where my sister lives in northern Vic is more than welcoming to people regardless of race - their population is predominantly Italian and Greek, with a huge Tongan community, Samoans, Vietnamese, Thai, Afghanis and Iraqis.

Thats good to hear - I cannot be doing with racism in any form and the lack of it (largely) in London is one of the few plus points still going for the city!

In a country with such a high proportion of immigrants as Australia it would be quite worrying if racism was prevalent throughout the country.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Here Here! Some smallminded people live in large towns, and vice- versa. I have also had experience with northern vic. towns and they, like most places, are generally well established comminuties that look at who you are as a person, not where you come from.

As said in former thread - attacking someone or a group of people from one country is racism in itself.
A
Old Nov 21st 2003, 9:45 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

I found Mount Gambier very accepting, and i met a few poms there....(trying to get used to the work pom.....). Not sure that you would call the mount a small country town, but its only got 20k people and is 450ks from the next city in any direction....
Also the Mount is largely populated by long time aussies of British and German descent, so if anywhere would be "racist" i guess the mount would be a good place to start looking....but i experienced and noticed none.

The only person there who took the piss a bit was Susans brother, but he was just messing around. I dished it back and it was a laugh.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Thats good to hear - I cannot be doing with racism in any form and the lack of it (largely) in London is one of the few plus points still going for the city!

In a country with such a high proportion of immigrants as Australia it would be quite worrying if racism was prevalent throughout the country.
Hi, Australia is no better than any other country - there are rednecks and there are cool people. If you are expecting a perfect society, well it doesnt exist.

BUT Australia is made up of migrants, all of whom when they have settled in, have an opinion about other migrants arriving - White British to Greeks and Italians in the 1950's and 60's, Greeks and Italians to their northern neighbours etc etc etc.

Forget the thick skin approach - if you have a problem when you arrive - deal with it when it happens - there are stringient anti-discrimination laws in Oz. But best not to go expecting something Eh!
Old Nov 21st 2003, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

I've been to the most wonderful BBQs up there - the Italians lay on a feast, the Pacific Islanders cook fabulous things in pits under the soil and the Aussies bring a ton of beer

Seriously, one thing that struck me about Oz - both city and rural, is lack of racism - to me it is definately a more harmonious country than UK - people just get on and get along. I've mentioned here before but in my team of 26 there are about 12 different nationalities. Of course I get ribbed for being a pom, but it's nothing vindictive - it's just banter. I think the Aussies 'go for' me as a Pom because they know I will banter back.

The stuff I get at work is totally different to the media attacks, which is all just a load of crappy hype.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.