Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Small Business Idea....help please......

Small Business Idea....help please......

Old Feb 16th 2007, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Small Business Idea....help please......

Originally Posted by Wendy
I'm just doing a bookkeeping course, which includes MYOB. It's really easy to use, so I doubt it would take you long to pick it up.

My plan is to set up doing accounts for small businesses in the area
Thanks to everyone else for their good luck wishes. Hope all you wish for comes your way too.

Wendy, how are you? Good luck to you too. I have never really done much in this line, once when our company was in-between accountants, I would help out with the invoicing, recording payments, chasing payments etc... as it was a small company we had to help out in all departments, so I have worn many different 'hats' in my time.

Nikki x
Old Feb 16th 2007, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nikki
Thanks to everyone else for their good luck wishes. Hope all you wish for comes your way too.

Wendy, how are you? Good luck to you too. I have never really done much in this line, once when our company was in-between accountants, I would help out with the invoicing, recording payments, chasing payments etc... as it was a small company we had to help out in all departments, so I have worn many different 'hats' in my time.

Nikki x

Good thanks

I've done mainly Admin work, but I did do a bookkeeping course many moons ago. Thought I'd do the Aussie one with the MYOB included though just to refresh my memory more than anything.

I've worn many hats as well, that's the good thing about it though I know I'm adaptable and will put everything I have into it. I'm sure you'll do the same.

Good luck with it
Old Feb 16th 2007, 12:21 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Yes this has crossed my mind, obviously discretion is something I would re-assure them on, but casuals is something alot of them use and this must be an issue there aswell and they still use them!

I thought I could even put something in the contract about it if people felt strongly about it.....it is such a small business community that lots of staff are poached from business to business so this is something that seems to go with the territory.
A non-disclosure agreement would be part of the contract.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

That's exactly the same as my business except at the moment my clients are in the UK not Aus.

I say go for it, I've certainly had a lot of work both now and in the past and it's very enjoyable, especially when you have different clients so get a bit of variety rather than rocking up to the office every morning and seeing the same old faces day in day out! I used to do 80% from home and 20% at people's offices, but in the end 100% from home which worked really well and that's what I do now.

I have an ABN as I have a business name, I dont think you need one if you just use your name. When I first started in the UK I sent out hundreds (400+) letters over the first year as mailshots and gained probably four/five clients from that plus advertising in yellow pages and have a website. Yellow Pages was probably the most successful, but from all advertising I've had more than enough work to cover the initial outlay.

One thing I would say is pesevere, it took a good six months to build up a varied client base and probably 12 until the work was regular enough to consider full time (in the end I'd be working til 9pm some nights!) so dont give up - just keep at it. Also, if you do send letters be patient, people dont always respond straight away, in fact I had a couple of clients who replied after a few months had passed but they'd kept the letters and that's the main thing. And word of mouth is a great marketing tool too and it's free!!!

Send me a PM if you want any help and good luck

Last edited by bridie; Feb 16th 2007 at 12:28 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 4:08 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Something I would add to your proposal is that you are less expensive than if they go through an agency. Most agencies charge quite a hefty fee, usually about 20% or more.
Just something to keep in mind about temps, here they are not limited to how much or how little they work - the contract of employment can say that they only work 1 hour per day or only 1 day per week and if the temp is happy with that then that's what they work.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

StevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud of

Hi Nikki,

I know the feeling of so many ideas.

How much would it cost to set yourself up as a 'small business' or can you do this as self employed?

I don't think it's a problem to drop by with a letter, kill 2 birds with one stone or maybe even 3 if you get to talk to the right person and do your market research at the same time.

The point of the letter is just to gain an introduction and possibly leave something on their files with your name and contact details on. If it's not too expensive, have 50 or so business cards made up, as I find people will keep these handy rather than a leaflet or letter. Shopkeepers are more willing to pin your biz card up rather than a leaflet, and you can leave them everywhere, I get loads of biz from mine being pinned up at my dentist.

I would imagine that any prospective client would consider your terms to be hourly as this is how they would pay any temp agency.

As long as the start-up costs are low and you can financially withstand the possibly slow development of the business, you have little to lose except sleep.

If you do have to register as a small business, do any training courses after you've registered, this way you can put them down to business 'expenses'.

Have a lovely day hun.

Chez
Old Feb 16th 2007, 7:26 pm
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Have done a bit of accounts in the past, but over here alot use 'myob' which I have no experience with, but have looked at short courses, which I can take if I needed to.
I use MYOB for my Aussie businesses and it's great. Straightforward.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Have you decided to go for it then Nikki?
Old Feb 18th 2007, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
Have you decided to go for it then Nikki?
Hi Bridie

Yes I am deifnately going for it, just now need to get over the daunting task of collating all the details of each winery, I think it would be more professional if I directed my letter to the relevent person, however, this will probably mean a phonecall to each winery (assuming I cannot get the info off their website), one of my faults is I hate to be held up with important things like groundwork!!!! I know it has to be done but I am one of those people who like to run before they can walk...LOL

Also details of my services.....I don't want to bog the letter down with over the top details which would lose their interest, so how would you describe it....I am hoping eventually that some businesses might use me for different things so I want to have all aspects covered. I won't just be offering secretarial services, I am used to dealing with clients both face to face and on the phone, organising projects, streamlining systems, event management, PA duties......

I am just about to call a few temping agencies posing as a possible client, so that I can get an idea of how much someone would pay for a temp!

With regards to rates, should I have a flat hourly rate for all jobs, or if I was asked to undertake projects or organise events would I charge differently for this?

Picking your brain hun if you don't mind.

By the way Bridie, are you the same Bridiej from UK threads I was on??

Nikki x
Old Feb 18th 2007, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Something I would add to your proposal is that you are less expensive than if they go through an agency. Most agencies charge quite a hefty fee, usually about 20% or more.
Just something to keep in mind about temps, here they are not limited to how much or how little they work - the contract of employment can say that they only work 1 hour per day or only 1 day per week and if the temp is happy with that then that's what they work.
Thanks Dorothy, as I have just posted I am going to call a few agencies and see what the competition rates would be!!
Old Feb 18th 2007, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

Australia Immigration will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Small Business Idea....help please......

Hi Nikki

It's great that you are so self motivated and enthuisiastic - real plus. I agree with Chez, but would also add the following :

1) Try to find out why (the real reason) for the lay offs - is it over supply, imports, drought co-operatives being formed this will help you with the focuss of your pitch and selling/pitching your various skills and attributes accordingly.

You must find these reasons to be able to address exactly what you can offer to overcome these apparent shortfalls with layoffs and address their actual and future needs/requirements

2) Caution on just the HR as they (if they have the department) can have been directed to stating 'no vacancies' period - so perhaps go via the website, Chamber of Commerce, State Development and locate Directors & PAs of the wineries (right hand of Directors and often read and advise - as well you would know)

3) You can be a Contractor and as you noted will need a ABN and public and private indemnity insurance.

You may wish to offer your time based on small fee and high commission or just high commission and bonus.

4) Sell the main theme in addressing their perceived needs, which I gather will be marketing (?) focus only on that and add value with your 'other' expertise.

5) Put together a powerpoint presentation and include that in your proposal.

This can be emailed and an opportunity show some marketing flair in your presentation and offer to elaborate and present as required to the winery.

6) Offer a couple days of your time to go on-site meet the people and get a feel of the operation and fully appreciate what might be required and meet the decision maker/s.

You can also get assistance from State Development in additional training - upskilling etc.

Good luck

Kind regards

Chris
Old Feb 18th 2007, 2:28 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bridie

Yes I am deifnately going for it, just now need to get over the daunting task of collating all the details of each winery, I think it would be more professional if I directed my letter to the relevent person, however, this will probably mean a phonecall to each winery (assuming I cannot get the info off their website), one of my faults is I hate to be held up with important things like groundwork!!!! I know it has to be done but I am one of those people who like to run before they can walk...LOL

Also details of my services.....I don't want to bog the letter down with over the top details which would lose their interest, so how would you describe it....I am hoping eventually that some businesses might use me for different things so I want to have all aspects covered. I won't just be offering secretarial services, I am used to dealing with clients both face to face and on the phone, organising projects, streamlining systems, event management, PA duties......

I am just about to call a few temping agencies posing as a possible client, so that I can get an idea of how much someone would pay for a temp!

With regards to rates, should I have a flat hourly rate for all jobs, or if I was asked to undertake projects or organise events would I charge differently for this?

Picking your brain hun if you don't mind.

By the way Bridie, are you the same Bridiej from UK threads I was on??

Nikki x
Id be a contractor. You are self employed and they contract you out. It may be an hours contract or a year of mondays only, the contract can be negotiATED f the winery works in this manner, it may just be a spit on the handshake, who knows!

Personally, id go and see one of the lesser wineries informally. Even go for some wine ad go midweek so they have more time to chat. If you can get on the subject gently then great, if not......

Just ask. The worst they can say is mind your own

These may be more like cottage industry and may be more open to chat so you can get the lowdown on the low level as some vineyards may be good growers but are going down the pan due to poor organisation. If you get freindly with one and do a bit of work, the community is small, people will get to know.

Even offer your services for free for a while to a small indie and that may get you places if you arent already. Who can refuse free labour!

After that id get it in my cv (experience is experience whether paid or unpaid, and more to the point a reference
)and then do the biggies with the presentation should you wish to go that far. Personally 3 businesses once a week each would be perfect for me. enough to spread out to make the week go, and the rest of the time off.

You could contract that spare time off to other people when you dont work and get a share of their earnings to for sitting on your arse.

Thats what i did and am doing now.

If you want business cards try vistaprint http://www.vistaprint.com.au/vp/free...0%3A23%3A55+PM

you get 100 cards for free all you pay is a low p+p. you design them online. ive used them 4 times now in the uk and they turn them round pretty quick like a week or 2.

good luck, and if you need any help, you know ill help.
p.s. up your end of town is looking more sensible

al.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hey Chris and Al

Thanks for the lengthy replies, am flying out the door now to pick up the kids (my other upaid job!!!) LOL, they pay me with love and verbal abuse!!!

Just been onto a large hotel in the area, I cannot help them as they obviously have it covered, but she gave me a couple of ideas....invited me in to see her!!

Will be back later.

Nikki
Old Feb 18th 2007, 2:35 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia Immigration
Hi Nikki

It's great that you are so self motivated and enthuisiastic - real plus. I agree with Chez, but would also add the following :

1) Try to find out why (the real reason) for the lay offs - is it over supply, imports, drought co-operatives being formed this will help you with the focuss of your pitch and selling/pitching your various skills and attributes accordingly.

You must find these reasons to be able to address exactly what you can offer to overcome these apparent shortfalls with layoffs and address their actual and future needs/requirements

2) Caution on just the HR as they (if they have the department) can have been directed to stating 'no vacancies' period - so perhaps go via the website, Chamber of Commerce, State Development and locate Directors & PAs of the wineries (right hand of Directors and often read and advise - as well you would know)

3) You can be a Contractor and as you noted will need a ABN and public and private indemnity insurance.

You may wish to offer your time based on small fee and high commission or just high commission and bonus.

4) Sell the main theme in addressing their perceived needs, which I gather will be marketing (?) focus only on that and add value with your 'other' expertise.

5) Put together a powerpoint presentation and include that in your proposal.

This can be emailed and an opportunity show some marketing flair in your presentation and offer to elaborate and present as required to the winery.

6) Offer a couple days of your time to go on-site meet the people and get a feel of the operation and fully appreciate what might be required and meet the decision maker/s.

You can also get assistance from State Development in additional training - upskilling etc.

Good luck

Kind regards

Chris
lol,

Hi,

How do find out about state development assistance please. Is that what its called too or known as, State Development Asistance or is it known by some trendy wording to entice more people.

thanks

al
Old Feb 18th 2007, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, I was bridiej

I will PM you some wording from the letters I use which will give you an idea. I dont waffle a lot, just straight to the point!

Personally I charge a flat hourly rate and always round up to the nearest half hour, so if something took me 20 minutes the client pays for 30 minutes.

I dont have any contracts, all work is taken as and when required so if they dont have any work then they dont have to pay me retainers or anything. I have had a few one-off type jobs but most of my work has been with regular clients and of course the main benefit for them is that it's always me doing the work, so they dont have the hassle of getting a temp in who is probably different from the one they had before and then have to show them the systems/layouts etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.