slow boat to OZ

Old Jan 24th 2003, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future
Default slow boat to OZ

hi guy's

has anyone consodered going by boat to OZ rather than go by plane??

is so -what do you know about it??

cheers

richard
Old Jan 25th 2003, 12:55 pm
plumber39

did,nt know you could go by boat,if so how long does it take?

Old Jan 25th 2003, 1:08 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by plumber39
did,nt know you could go by boat,if so how long does it take?

Six weeks in a cabin with two young kids and my wife saying "Are we there yet, Are we there yet, Are we there yet, Are we there yet, Are we there yet, Are we there yet........", I think I'll fly !

Steve.
Old Jan 25th 2003, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: slow boat to OZ

I have a friend who's considering going by boat as less cruel for her pets, he believes. Also I can see advantages as far as arriving same time as your furniture.

Any idea how much it costs? If's its cheaper than temporary accomodation in Oz then might be worth it.

Again with 2 kids in small cabin, might send us all mad.

Mash..

Originally posted by r.bartlett
hi guy's

cheers

richard
Old Jan 25th 2003, 3:15 pm
agwa

Thinking of doing it myself, stopping off at various places along the way...Can't find much info available though. Can anybody point me in the right direction? (no smart arse replys...:-)

Old Jan 25th 2003, 3:25 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

If your serious and have loads of time there are always yachts looking for crew especially from Gibraltar across the Atlantic then catch another going through the canal and across to Fiji loads of stops on route my folks have taken nearly 6 years to get to Aust. they had various crew along the way. They plan to finish their circumnavigation but are in the process of building a home in Queensland now.
Check out the yachting press for opportunities most yachts tend to leave from Gib. in about Nov. time due to the hurricane season in the Caribbean.

Originally posted by agwa
Thinking of doing it myself, stopping off at various places along the way...Can't find much info available though. Can anybody point me in the right direction? (no smart arse replys...:-)
Old Jan 25th 2003, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

http://www.geocities.com/freighterman.geo/mainmenu.html

hi guy's
well i found quite a lot of stuff about travelling by cargo boat to OZ (or NZ if that's the way you're heading)

basically my wife thought it would be a really cool idea to do it this way because of
a
Old Jan 25th 2003, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

don't know what happened there!!!

a cool way to travel
b stops jet lag etc
c arrive simular to luggage etc

do a search on google and find loads more stuff..

not too expensive when you consider everything..
google comes up tops as usual

http://www.anycruise.com/freighters.html

cheers

richard
Old Jan 25th 2003, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

Lana is an unknown quantity at this point

A friend of ours is set on going by cargo ship, but since we are in South America, the ship goes near the South Pole. You gotta do forced schedule exercise on exercise bikes to keep your extremities from freezing and getting gangrene.

Thanks, but no thanks.

I think that by plane with a stopover to reduce jet lag is probably best. The cheapest flight I've found offers a free stopover in South Africa.
Old Jan 25th 2003, 6:22 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

a cool way to travel
b stops jet lag etc
c arrive simular to luggage etc
d terrified of flying (??)
Old Jan 25th 2003, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

'd' doesn't figure for us but it's valid!!

cheers

richard
Old Jan 25th 2003, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

My partner looked into the boat thing (he's not keen on flying at all) and if I remember correctly it takes about 2 weeks from UK to Australia.

Sorry but I can't remember where he got the information from but I don't think it was a cargo boat, but a proper cruise liner.

Not sure how much it cost, but I think it was in the £2,000 price range.

I think he's decided to fly with us now (hopefully if I get him plastered at the airport he'll just sleep the whole way there!!)
Old Jan 26th 2003, 6:05 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jaykay
My partner looked into the boat thing (he's not keen on flying at all) and if I remember correctly it takes about 2 weeks from UK to Australia.

Sorry but I can't remember where he got the information from but I don't think it was a cargo boat, but a proper cruise liner.

Not sure how much it cost, but I think it was in the £2,000 price range.

I think he's decided to fly with us now (hopefully if I get him plastered at the airport he'll just sleep the whole way there!!)
Maybe he ought to try what I did. I used to hate flying, I'd be there, white knuckes gripping the seat, getting paralytic to get on a plane.

I know it sounds daft but I bought a "cure your fear of flying" hypnosis tape off the web. It realy worked. I was sceptical at first but you have to have an open mind and give it a go.

I must have listened to both sides about 10 times and it worked a treat. Our flight from Dubai to Perth was really quite bumpy but I was totally calm.

This, of course doesn't mean the plane won't crash though.....

Dan
Old Jan 26th 2003, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by renth

I know it sounds daft but I bought a "cure your fear of flying" hypnosis tape off the web. It realy worked. I was sceptical at first but you have to have an open mind and give it a go.

Dan
Do you know what the funny thing is? He's actually studied and has a qualification in Hypnosis, so maybe he can do some self hypnosis before he gets on the plane!!
Not sure how other passengers might feel though, listening to somebody talking to themselves! LOL
Old Jan 27th 2003, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future
Default Re: slow boat to OZ

hi guy's

cheers

richard

My Sister went on the boat to Sydney from Liverpool it was a Cargo boat took 6 weeks she was sea sick for 5 weeks "YUK" she came back 5 years later on the Cruise ship Oriana she loved ever minute of it