Slingbox

Old Jun 15th 2011, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

codywhipp1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Slingbox

Has anyone tried using slingbox to get TV from home and willing to share experiences with it? I was wondering if HD works well or not.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of
Default Re: Slingbox

My husband uses his slingbox all of the time. It stays hooked up at our home and then he can watch whatever he wants from our home channels.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

How does it work? Is your receiver back home just hooked up to your TV? Do you have an HD receiver? What service do you use for cable or satellite? Where are you from? Have you ever had any problems with it? Are there people living in your house back home that can troubleshoot or is that unnecessary?
Old Jun 15th 2011, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of

I am from Florida but I live in England moving to the UK. The slingbox will be moved from our house and to my father in law's so that he can troubleshoot it should there be problems when I join my husband in Brisbane.

Both our house and my FIL have satellite and HD service.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Does the HD work well through the slingbox? Do you know what model of slingbox you have?
Old Jun 15th 2011, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

I am from Pennsylvania and may be relocating to Perth in the next couple months. We will be taking a trip to Utah to visit my parents and I am thinking about buying a slingbox (or 2) and hooking it up at their house for use in Australia if we go. It may give me a chance to test it out in Pennsylvania as well. Has your husband had any frustrations with it (remote working too slow, etc.)?
Old Jun 15th 2011, 8:56 pm
Wow 2yrs in Oz!

Location: Liverpool to Townsville via North America & the Middle East!
The_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by codywhipp1
How does it work? Is your receiver back home just hooked up to your TV? Do you have an HD receiver? What service do you use for cable or satellite? Where are you from? Have you ever had any problems with it? Are there people living in your house back home that can troubleshoot or is that unnecessary?
Hi here is a link to the slingbox FAQ that should answer some of your queries.

http://uk.slingbox.com/go/slingbox-solo-faq

Personally I wouldn't bother with HD over the internet, to watch HD remotely you need your broadband at the SENDING side (slingbox source) to be able to transmit FROM the slingbox TO the internet at a minimum of 1.5Mbps for SD you need at least 600k to transmit FROM the slingbox TO the internet. Most standard UK broadband connections can only transmit at a MAXIMUM of 512k towards the Internet, this because ADSL is designed for DOWNloading not UPloading to the internet, so even if you install an HD box on a standard Uk broadband connection you would only be able to receive an SD picture at best.

I use a slingcatcher connected directly to a TV to receive my slingbox signal and also the iphone app both of which work fine for me. I do have 1.5Mbps capability at the location were my slingbox is located (at the moment) and a 2Mbps download broadband connection at my viewing side.

Hope this helps
Old Jun 16th 2011, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

So slingcatcher is what you hook directly to the TV rather than to the internet, right? That is what I think we would be doing as well. If I understand you correctly, you have a slingbox at a relatives house (or your house back home) and you watch it on a regular TV because you have a slingcatcher rather than over the internet or on your ipone (although you can do that too if you want)?

A few other questions:

1) Does the slingcatcher work well with HD? Are you required the 1.5Mbps upload back at home and at least that amount at your home in Australia for it to work (been reading up a little on it)? From your last post it looks like you have met those requirements (but wouldn't HD work well over the web too for you?)

2) Are you able to DVR/TIVO stuff from Australia from your remote?

3) When you use the remote from Australia, do you experience delays in fastforwarding/rewinding TV?

If I am off base on any of this, please feel free to correct me.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 7:44 am
Wow 2yrs in Oz!

Location: Liverpool to Townsville via North America & the Middle East!
The_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud of

See response below:-

Originally Posted by codywhipp1
So slingcatcher is what you hook directly to the TV rather than to the internet, right? That is what I think we would be doing as well. If I understand you correctly, you have a slingbox at a relatives house (or your house back home) and you watch it on a regular TV because you have a slingcatcher rather than over the internet or on your ipone (although you can do that too if you want)?

Correct

A few other questions:

1) Does the slingcatcher work well with HD? Are you required the 1.5Mbps upload back at home and at least that amount at your home in Australia for it to work (been reading up a little on it)? From your last post it looks like you have met those requirements (but wouldn't HD work well over the web too for you?)

If you are sending 1.5Mbps you need to be able to receive that at the other side. HD quality on a slingbox / slingcatcher set up I percieve to be equivalent to 720 HD quality, however, the Internet connection between each end is not guaranteed so you are at the mercy of the worst provider along the path from one side to the other.

2) Are you able to DVR/TIVO stuff from Australia from your remote?
Not tried the setup in Australia yet, my slingcatcher was in the Middle East and my slingbox was in the UK, worked fine 90% of the time, problem was due to oversubscribed Internet peering connectivity by ME provider. Depending on the slingbox model you have you can control various devices, although I have no idea what a TIVO is .

3) When you use the remote from Australia, do you experience delays in fastforwarding/rewinding TV?
Not currently in Australia so cannot comment

If I am off base on any of this, please feel free to correct me.