Reload this Page >

Sleepless nights

Sleepless nights

Old Nov 3rd 2002, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

dove is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sleepless nights

Hi

35yrs giving up a well paid job to check out NZ for a better quality of life. My problem is that I have not got a job offer and therefore cannot apply for PR, well I was going to earlier on in the year - paid for x-ray/blood test/medical report/got police report and then the points went through the roof and I can no longer use the reports

My plan is now to go to NZ "on holiday" and have six months in which to find a job - then apply for a work permit. My worry is how off putting is this to a prospective employer? Not being able to find a job in NZ is now starting to give me sleepless nights. Have many of you gone to NZ under such circumstances and how have you found getting a job? I will be basing myself in Christchurch and am a web designer.

Any advice would be greatfully received.

Cheers!
Old Nov 4th 2002, 2:20 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Go for it and good luck! There's a generally good job situation at the moment in NZ if you are well qualified. Plus I don't know where you come from but if you are of UK background, a lot of people say that you're second best choice to employers (after Kiwis), which is a lot better than being third best choice, fourth best choice etc. I reckon if you explain that a job offer will give you the points you need for PR (which is quickly processed in NZ NZIS offices) then an employer who wants you will wait a few weeks.

Cheers - Don
Old Nov 4th 2002, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Don - you've got to be joking! "quickly processed in NZ NZIS Offices" the Auckland office is so swamped at the moment people are queing at 5 or 6am EVERY working day! I saw this first hand last Tuesday when I arrived back into Akl on an early morning flight arrival - it was 6.30 & the queue was huge!

They'll have no problem processing a work permit application as these are done whilst you wait (providing you dont mind giving up half a day waiting!) PR applications lodged in Auckland are another thing entirely.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...reportid=55514
Old Nov 5th 2002, 9:58 am
Don
Banned

Is this the same Russ who said yesterday 'Lodged it on the 6th August, had the approval letter back 22nd of Sept - 8 weeks.'!!!!! And just before you on the same thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/t115696.html Ian Guy said it took him 6 weeks to get PR from Hamilton NZIS office.

OK, maybe things got more chocka this year...not having a go at you Russ but my definition of 'quckly processed' would be about 3 months or under and I think that's still the expected PR processing time at NZ NZIS offices.

Cheers - Don
Old Nov 7th 2002, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Processing times for PR applications lodged in Auckland are 9 months - not exactly what I would call 'quick' (phoned them today...quiet day at work & had nothing better to do!)

The reason my own application was sent to the Sydney office instead of being processed in Auckland was because they had a backlog even then (Aug 01). Another interesting thing I found out is that if you lodge an application in say, Hamilton but you live in Auckland, the Hamilton NZIS office return the application to Auckland. It seems the office local to where you live does the processing, I mentioned my own situation re Sydney & his answer was "we do sometimes send applns to other offices, but it is at our discretion as to whether we do that".

The guy also said was that the reason the Auckland office is so busy is that they get very high numbers of applications from chinese, koreans etc and it takes time to verify supporting documents / translations. So if you're going to submit a PR application, try and get them to send it to a less busy office.
Old Nov 7th 2002, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light

FYI - Letter we received back from NZIS in Washington DC recently after lodging PR application states:

"Applicants should note that the Consular Section of the NZ Embassy will be closed from the afternoon of 24 Dec through to 2 January. We would therefore urge you to send your visa application to us well in advance of 15 Dec or, if possible, delay your approach to this office until after 20 Jan.

As the months of December, January and February ARE THE BUSIEST TIME OF THE YEAR FOR US (my underline), delays may occur in the processing of Residents' Visas and Returning Residents' Visas. "

Still and all, am amazed at the 9 months delay forecasted for Auckland applications, is not at all what I had heard only a few months ago- sounded like you just walked on in, and it was 'here ya go, mate. Have a nice day'!

BTW, when I called NZIS Wash DC 2 weeks ago, they were interviewing for a new immigration officer ('we only have 2 at the moment' I was told). Hmmm- would seem they're swamped everywhere at the moment...

What would all this mean then for a) anyone who has already started application process, then gets job offer in NZ and wants to transfer application to NZ, and b) can't remember what I was going to say but don't want to go back and change the structure of this paragraph!

TA
Old Nov 7th 2002, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light

OK, remembered b): and would anyone (Phil comes to mind) who has 'approval in principle' and is already in NZ on 'work search permit', and who finds a job, be affected by any of this (i.e. delays in processing times)? I'm trying to imagine the awful scenario where you find a job, then have to tell your new employer that your PR is going to be delayed for a few weeks/months.
Old Nov 7th 2002, 3:48 pm
Don
Banned

I'm pretty sure you can stay in NZ (and work) in the time between the 6 month 'job seek' work visa expiring and PR being granted now that you got the job points.
Old Nov 9th 2002, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

lizzie is an unknown quantity at this point

On a cautionary note, having looked at many IT Job Agencies websites in NZ, most, if not all, will only consider you for jobs if you have a work permit or are somewhere down the line in applying for PR.

Having said this, if you want something, nothing should put you off going for it, and although we can all give our opinion/advice on your situation, you will at some point have to decide whether to throw caution to the wind and go and try your luck. My partner is off to Christchurch in just over a week on a work deferral visa, so can't, as yet, comment on the IT job situation there.

Best of luck with what ever you decide.

Lizzie