Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Slap-dash with the slip-slop-slap?

Slap-dash with the slip-slop-slap?

Old Nov 27th 2006, 10:57 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Slap-dash with the slip-slop-slap?

I walk to work (it takes 20 minutes) and I don't wear suncream when I do that - that way, I get my vitamin D before the sun gets too strong. As I only work part time, when I walk home again, I use a 30+ suncream: 20 minutes in the sun at 1.00 pm would have me burnt to a crisp without it! I also make sure I wear long trousers all summer (sweaty is better than burnt, for me) and cover up my shoulders - they seem to burn within about 10 minutes, even on a cloudy day. I'm not as good as I should be though - I usually forget my feet and my ears.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 11:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aston man
how much money do the average family spend on sunscreen a week out there then?you must get through bucket loads of it???
Most people seem to position a 'dispenser' running to a litre or so at the front door filled with some fairly common 'own brand', and not normally expensive, cream.

Watch the expiry date I might add!
Old Nov 27th 2006, 11:43 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Most people seem to position a 'dispenser' running to a litre or so at the front door filled with some fairly common 'own brand', and not normally expensive, cream.

Watch the expiry date I might add!
Yeah, we have a huge thing of chemist own brand in the kitchen. We also have small hand sprays in the car for emergency. Doesn't cost much. $10 I think.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 11:46 pm
Account Closed

lying in bed at the moment reading this its really frightening.

i was hoping to get a nice tan in January when i visit,but that seems a million miles away after reading this..me and my wife are both used to getting fried at 120 degrees in turkey,so its going to be weired for us ...not coming back from holiday black...
Your attitude changes when you live here. The sun's always here. It's not special to be tanned. It just makes you look like a local and burnt people look stupid here.... don't do it.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra
My husband being one! In his case he had the more severe skin cancer Melanoma and will now need regular checks even after having it all cut out. These types usually do not get burnt off as the chances are the cancer is more than skin deep. The doctors here stated his skin damage was probably in his early/late teens when he was in the UK and those holidays abroad.

Kids need to be covered in UV shirts and hats if playing out for long periods and it is not just about exposed areas of the skin, rashies at the beach are a good idea.

The adverts on the telly at the moment are trying to warn people about exposure again because the slip slap slop is still not getting through.

I cover my face every day in a SP Factor cream but do not always cover hands and arms depending on how long I will be out. The vit D thing is easily covered off by short burst of sun but you only need a smallish percentage of your skin exposed for less than 10 mins in summer and not at peak time - Perfect for a coffee outside early in the morning and a wine cooler in the evening on the patio .

It was a real fright at 41 to have a family member with serious skin cancer. So I may sound OTT, but it is not much of a legacy to leave your kids.

Cheers
My wife had a level 1 melanoma cut out 3 1/2 years ago (when she was 30). Again, the doctor said the damage had been done when she was much much younger (in the Poland). She too has to live with constant 6 month check-ups and a strict sun regime for her and our son (who is now more disposed to develop melanoma having had an immediate family member diagnosed.) So he has a hat always, factor 30, always and a full length solar suit at the beach. I worked on the SunSmart campaign recently and what is interesting about the Governement's national strategy is that it is aimed at teenagers and gatekeepers of young children. They have recognised the the message is largely wasted when you get beyond 22 (as the damage has already been done). Melanoma is a completely different thing to basal and squamous cell cancers and is the fastest growing cancer among the young. Scary stuff

Mark
Old Nov 28th 2006, 12:02 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
Your attitude changes when you live here. The sun's always here. It's not special to be tanned. It just makes you look like a local and burnt people look stupid here.... don't do it.
Agree very much you end up ignoring the sun - though our english mates we spent time with in Spain this summer, thought it was very funny how little Andy and I went in the sun, including sitting in shade if we were out and about including brollies for the beach.

I came back to work after a month in the sun and being on holiday rather than the office meant I did get more exposed, but not as much as I ever used to. My work colleagues were amazed I actually had some colour . The comments where all about how relaxed and healthy I looked !!! The underlying feeling that people are healthy if they are tanned is still very present which is aggravating especially when trying to bring up teenagers to be sun smart.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 12:15 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

I get the factor 30,but to be honest it's a pain in the ar*e,but I do it because I want the kids to follow on.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 12:40 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

I use factor 30+ if I'm on the beach (ie with less clothes on than normal), factor 18 for my arms etc the rest of the time as they don't burn having built up some colour, and my moisturiser has factor 15 built in.

I have bought a hat this year to prevent scalp burn, my hair is really dry anyway out here and the sun makes it even drier and the scalp gets flaky ueeeghhh.

I am getting better at remembering to put sun cream on when just 'popping out'. 20 mins in the midday sun is enough to burn me. But first thing in the morning and on my return from work, I don't worry about a few minutes in the sun. The very slight tan I now have makes a huge difference to my previously deathly white colour in England, I think I do look healthier but it is definitely something to do in moderation.

We have a big pump container of sun cream, have tried various different types for the least greasy, like what I use now (but can't remember it). Other half has a big problem with sun cream on his face getting into his eyes, so we're going to try some kid versions which hopefully won't sting so much.

I can tell who are the visitors / people just arrived in Sydney by:
1. The very pale legs of the sensible / or just stepped off the plane arrivals
2. The bright red sunburn of those who have been here two days
Old Nov 28th 2006, 1:17 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

no i don't do it...i used to on holidays in Europe but here it is different. I don't use suncream because i don't stay in the sun long enough. I don't want to be wrinkly as when i see some old Aussie woman they look terrible..
I sit inside or under shelter when the sun is out. Can't be bothered with suncream or tanning myself.

Get the fake stuff out!! that will do me thanks.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 1:25 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
no i don't do it...i used to on holidays in Europe but here it is different. I don't use suncream because i don't stay in the sun long enough. I don't want to be wrinkly as when i see some old Aussie woman they look terrible..
I sit inside or under shelter when the sun is out. Can't be bothered with suncream or tanning myself.

Get the fake stuff out!! that will do me thanks.
you would never in a million year believe that people would use fake tan ,when the tempreature gets up to 120 deg..this is unbelievable reading.
as i am a bricklayer its also essential reading.

again more valuable information stored in the old brain box.

thanks all.

A
Old Nov 28th 2006, 1:34 am
Account Closed

you would never in a million year believe that people would use fake tan ,when the tempreature gets up to 120 deg..this is unbelievable reading.

A
I fake tanned my legs the other week, so I matched all over for a christening I was going to. A little colour does make you look a bit healthier than deathly white (as much of me is) but I'd rather fake it than have to have a melanoma cut out.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 1:39 am
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

thanks all.

A
Unfortunately you are just as likely to get burnt with fake tan as with nothing at all. It is a vegetable dye which justs colours the skin. Look out for Melanotan pellets on clincal trial in Aus. They are injected under the skin, give you a naturall tan for a month and offer some protecting from the sun as they stimulate the production of melanocytes - the bodies natural defence agianst UV. It's not a panacea though and authorities are still recommending multiple protection strategies.

More here: http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/help/default.asp?page=6182

Mark
Old Nov 28th 2006, 1:39 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

I fake tanned my legs the other week, so I matched all over for a christening I was going to. A little colour does make you look a bit healthier than deathly white (as much of me is) but I'd rather fake it than have to have a melanoma cut out.
to right.us brits that go on holiday and get burnt to a sizzle could all do withe reading this..it is truly frightening...
Old Nov 28th 2006, 1:41 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks all.

A
Fake tan is a great invention!!! it also has sunblock in it so you get best of both worlds.

Gives u Instant tan!!...instead of lying on a beach all day feeling lythargic and peeling later..no thanks
Old Nov 28th 2006, 2:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

this is unbelievable reading.

thanks all.

A

To your mind into aussie mode re the sun, your a tradie, get on a site and look at the workers especially the blokes over 35, i would lay money on it you will guess most are 55 not 35 and worse.

UV levels today are extreme, recommended time in sun is probably about 9 minutes, most tradies will spend more like 9 hours in it. You do see some working without shirts, but many sites dont allow it now, the sons electrical company now insist on Head to toe clothing including gloves, the material is thick tight weave navy blue. On top of that they must wear full brim hat which fits on the hard hat and proper company supply glasses to protect the eyes from the UV. Basically the only part of the human you can see is the area around the mouth.

Keep your kids out of it too, our youngest one is real fair skinned, not that being dark skinned stops you buring our mates from PNG and Singapore are obviously not fair and they all get burnt Anyway son developed a skin cancer at age eight, so yes I do feel like saying something when you see poms arrive and start browning up the kids :scared:

While on sun one more thing, havent read entire thread so apols if somebody has already said this. SUNGLASSES, proper ones for the whole family, a hat only cuts 50% of dangerous rays, its now recommended kids wear sunglasses as well as the hat.

Last edited by jad n rich; Nov 28th 2006 at 2:51 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.