Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Slap-dash with the slip-slop-slap?

Slap-dash with the slip-slop-slap?

Old Nov 27th 2006, 2:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Slap-dash with the slip-slop-slap?

Just recently I am stopping to use sunscreen, since spring really. I find myself stepping out for 15 minutes at a time without cream. It's all the harder when you have to get the baby bags ready, find the hat for the little one and she comes first. A few times in the last few weeks I have been not burnt, no shade of pink or red but you can see I have probably been somewhere...

I do take some solace from the fact I NEVER sunbake, ALWAYS mow with a broad-brimmed hat, and NEVER otherwise needlessly stand in the sun, (this sounds like a Sun newspaper editorial now lol) but it's time I arrested this nasty habit.

anyone else care to admit...
Old Nov 27th 2006, 2:49 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Slap-dash with the slip-slop-slap?

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

anyone else care to admit...

Badge, I spend about 10-15 minutes in the sun every day without suncream on. If you're constantly covering up and slipslopslapping, then you will have a lower Vit D in your system. We need some sun in our lives... many cancers are linked to lack of Vitamin D.
I don't burn nor do I sunbathe ... that would be stupid.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 3:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
Badge, I spend about 10-15 minutes in the sun every day without suncream on. If you're constantly covering up and slipslopslapping, then you will have a lower Vit D in your system. We need some sun in our lives... many cancers are linked to lack of Vitamin D.
I don't burn nor do I sunbathe ... that would be stupid.
Have to admit my concern comes from the fact my estimated 15mins might be on this side of a longer time... and there's no doubt I am getting slack even my wife does not slap as often as she used to.

Having said that, I have to be honest and feel that medically, a low grade skin cancer will not be the biggest thing I need to worry about.

I read somewhere that the really old wrinklies you see now exposed themselves from a far earlier age, (had a 30 year head start) and did some stupid things like oil etc.

I've never burnt (even gone red) in Australia in 4 years.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 3:06 am
Forum Regular

hoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nice

I took my 18month old grandson who is over from the Uk to Dreamworld yesterday and i put so much sun cream on he looked like a snowman!!!!
Old Nov 27th 2006, 3:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I very rarely slip, slap or slop to be honest. I find it hard enough to not drip like a tap with the humidity sometimes without being a greased doubly dripping tap

I am of the belief that we can be sensible to a degree but in the end you have to live your lives the easiest way and not worry about tomorrow too much. If we were going to avoid anything vaguely dangerous we wouldn't get pregnant or get born in the first place.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 3:19 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

The last time I looked the Cancer council was recommending 10-15 mins exposure to keep the Vitamin D levels up.

Old Nov 27th 2006, 3:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
The last time I looked the Cancer council was recommending 10-15 mins exposure to keep the Vitamin D levels up.

well don't you know! I live and breathe - more easily, or more accurately had a quiet moment at work

Cheers guys. Just have to avoid mission creep, eh? I mean, the tram stop probably accounts for a third of that etc, briging in the washing, another third..

There are people who use the skin cancer risk as reason for not 'wanting' to be here, but I think most of us can manage it sensibly.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 3:51 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

One of the best things about coming to Aus is that we all look 10 years younger than the Aussies.
(Unless you were a heavy smoker in the UK.)

Old Nov 27th 2006, 3:53 am
Account Closed

I read somewhere that the really old wrinklies you see now exposed themselves from a far earlier age, (had a 30 year head start) and did some stupid things like oil etc..
My FIL has skin cancer scars on his legs and has just had one removed from his nose by a plastic surgeon... Healing nicely - can hardly see it. He used to surf in the '60's and did a huge amount of damage to his skin.
I'm told I look very young for 36 ... out here that is. In the UK, I'm sure I looked the right age, but here, I have zee pale Eengleesh skeeen and it's a bonus.
I moisturise, use coconut oil in particular for its healing properties, eat very healthily and use sunscreen. I plan on keeping it that way but I also enjoy feeling well with the sunshine factor.
I have a cruddy thyroid which sunshine helps considerably. Us thyroid gals are solar powered.
With the washing on the line, having a coffee outside etc, I am lightly tanned on my arms, but I don't plan on any more. If I'm out for longer, such as dog walking, I have hat, glasses and sunscreen.
I went to a Christening the other week and spray tanned my legs so I wouldn't look like a rainbow paddlepop.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 4:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My FIL has skin cancer scars on his legs and has just had one removed from his nose by a plastic surgeon... Healing nicely - can hardly see it. He used to surf in the '60's and did a huge amount of damage to his skin.
Sure, there's no way I have the damage approaching that of some Australians, even of my age.

I do have a brother my age so eventually time will tell(show) that the European weather was nicer to him. But then the stress might tell on him first so it might cancel out...

I find UK people have much better skin but look far more stressed, or look like they need a bit of Vit D, so the aging might cancel out..
Old Nov 27th 2006, 4:07 am
Account Closed

I find UK people have much better skin but look far more stressed, or look like they need a bit of Vit D, so the aging might cancel out..
A friend recently returned to the UK and was shocked at how pale people looked.
... and summer's only just finished.

My sis has always sunbathed and she looks considerably older than I do, even though there's only 18 months in it. Having slightly oily skin helps I think.

Everything in moderation, Badge... That's my rule of thumb.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 4:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Everything in moderation, Badge... That's my rule of thumb.
like posting
Old Nov 27th 2006, 4:47 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Never use it myself, far too humid in Qld. Its sweated out in a matter of minutes.

As an aside, just got my 6 monthly bank statement, which carried a health warning that in qld, someone is diagnosed with skin cancer every 15 seconds. :scared:

Geez, bit bloody inconvenient if the doc comes round to have a quick check on you during one of the 15 second periods during the night !!

Its true about the bank statement though. I'm changing back to a non qld bank ...safer that way !!
Old Nov 27th 2006, 5:13 am
Account Closed

like posting

Oh absolutely. I hope you'll join with me in celebrating my 100th post?

(I'll be there in about another 75...watch this space)
Old Nov 27th 2006, 5:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Oh absolutely. I hope you'll join with me in celebrating my 100th post?

(I'll be there in about another 75...watch this space)

I think you've missed a 0 off there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.