AJ100

AJ100 is on a distinguished road
Question skype or msn

could anyone advise on the best one to use
and are they both totally free for webcam and audio
thanks andy
Old Dec 17th 2006, 11:07 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: skype or msn

Originally Posted by AJ100
thanks andy

We have just bought a web cam and downloaded Skype off the internet. Tried to use it today to call/see my mum in scotland. It was fantastic as we could talk over the internet for free (well as part of your broadband fee) and she could see us! As you can imagine there was lots of screaming!! It is fantastic and highly recommend it. Good luck
Old Dec 17th 2006, 11:08 am
The Murphsters

The Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to all

thanks andy
Yes, both free. I personally prefer Skype, i think the interface is better and very easy to use plus not a bad idea to not rely on Microsoft for everything!!
I also have a Mac and Skype works on that, not sure if MSN does.

You can get some nice wifi Skype phones now that will pick up the nearest open wifi connection and you can call people with no PC needed!! very clever stuff.
Old Dec 17th 2006, 12:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

thanks andy
Well you could do both! We use Skype for the phone bit. And we use this phone here,
http://www.btcdirect.com.au/home.php...FR0jTAodDmJ4Ow

which works like a cordless phone, but through the PC.

And then we do video via MSN. The reason for not doing audio via the computer is most of our relatives are old and a bit deaf and it gets annoying shouting at the computer.

JTL
Old Dec 17th 2006, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

We use Skype and webcam everyday between me in UK and partner in Aus.

No complaints and all free
Old Dec 17th 2006, 12:59 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks andy
Tend to find everyone wants to use something different, so we have family and friends on skype, others on MSN, more on AOL and a parent that can't move past Yahoo Messenger.

So tend to use whichever one the person on that time wants to use and either chat or type.

Have always been fan of skype but found with our slow internet it drops out quite a bit but we have coughed the $10 for the faster one from next month which will hopefully speed things up a bit.
Old Dec 17th 2006, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

little bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond repute

i tend to use skype as it is quite easy to set up and use, which is great as i'm not very good at the technical side of things. I spoke to my cousin in NZ last night, my auntie in Bilericay in Essex and type talked to a friend a few miles up the road who hasn't got a webcam yet, i also speak to my friend in Adelaide, the reception is generally pretty good and all of this from our home in Bucks, UK, generally speaking though its whichever you get on best with as my kids all use MSN.
Old Dec 17th 2006, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by little bear
i tend to use skype as it is quite easy to set up and use, which is great as i'm not very good at the technical side of things. I spoke to my cousin in NZ last night, my auntie in Bilericay in Essex and type talked to a friend a few miles up the road who hasn't got a webcam yet, i also speak to my friend in Adelaide, the reception is generally pretty good and all of this from our home in Bucks, UK, generally speaking though its whichever you get on best with as my kids all use MSN.
We had better Skype in UK as our internet speed was over 2 where here we dropped down to .560 but it's slowly climbing. We had falsely thought that a spread out country would have a cracking communication network. Turned out to be the opposite.
Old Dec 17th 2006, 7:28 pm

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

thanks andy
We use Skype, always clear talking to OZ and NZ.
Old Dec 17th 2006, 9:24 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I find that skype has better sound quality but msn has better video quality so will often run both at the same time.

thanks andy
Old Dec 17th 2006, 10:23 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

I read on Friday that Skype are introducing a $30 annual charge for US based users.
Bound to be made global.............

Andrew
Old Dec 17th 2006, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

lucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by annqldau
Tend to find everyone wants to use something different, so we have family and friends on skype, others on MSN, more on AOL and a parent that can't move past Yahoo Messenger.

So tend to use whichever one the person on that time wants to use and either chat or type.

Have always been fan of skype but found with our slow internet it drops out quite a bit but we have coughed the $10 for the faster one from next month which will hopefully speed things up a bit.
This is exactly what we find - we use whichever the other person is happier with. Seems to be my family on Skype adn hubbys family and friends on MSN. Both work really well although I prefer that on Skype you can get a bigger picture without having to fill the whole screen.
Old Dec 17th 2006, 10:45 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Thats for Skypeout in the USA, until now you could ring landlines for free in the USA. I think $30 is good for unlimited landline calls.

It dosn't effect the rest of the world.

More Info

Originally Posted by andrew63
I read on Friday that Skype are introducing a $30 annual charge for US based users.
Bound to be made global.............

Andrew
Old Dec 18th 2006, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by lucy.summers
This is exactly what we find - we use whichever the other person is happier with. Seems to be my family on Skype adn hubbys family and friends on MSN. Both work really well although I prefer that on Skype you can get a bigger picture without having to fill the whole screen.
Our camera seems to be the cause of the drop out at present as if we unplug it we don't have problems. But with yahoo works ok... can't win.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

lucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by annqldau
Our camera seems to be the cause of the drop out at present as if we unplug it we don't have problems. But with yahoo works ok... can't win.
from what I can gather the 'drops' that occur in skype are mostly due to the broadband connection - MSN etc you can do with dial up (although really slow) but Skype is only supported by broadband.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.