Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Skype comes of age

Skype comes of age

Old Feb 27th 2007, 8:03 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Skype comes of age

Saw this and thought it might be useful for those of you already in Australia who use Skype to keep in touch with family and friends.

It seems that with this new technology you'll be able to use Skype without the hassle of logging on to your computer etc.

Hope it helps,
Scubaemma
http://stuff.tv/blogs/future/archive...es-of-age.aspx
Old Feb 27th 2007, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skype comes of age

that looks good, we like skype but sometimes convenience means we just pick up landline ... it'd stop that certainly!

we've some friends who like skype though and some hate it! can't cope with time delays I think but it's fine once you get used to it!
Old Feb 27th 2007, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Not quite sure I could have survived the 6 months without skype and our webcams - it's made that time slightly more bearable.

The time difference makes for some interesting conversations between one partner who's been to the pub and one who hasn't as both of us can now remember who said what when tipsy
Old Feb 27th 2007, 12:35 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phoenix_uk
Not quite sure I could have survived the 6 months without skype and our webcams - it's made that time slightly more bearable.

The time difference makes for some interesting conversations between one partner who's been to the pub and one who hasn't as both of us can now remember who said what when tipsy
Very few people mention www.jajah.com Is there not many people using it?

We have found Jajah fantastic! Get the other person to register (free) and you can talk to them for 1 hour every day or free. Once your free hour is up, get them to call you back and you can chat for 2 hours free.

Jajah uses a computer and a normal landline, so you are not tied to the computer room! get a headset (we have) and you can walk about (with a DECT phone) doing normal chores while chatting.

Neil.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scubaemma
Saw this and thought it might be useful for those of you already in Australia who use Skype to keep in touch with family and friends.

It seems that with this new technology you'll be able to use Skype without the hassle of logging on to your computer etc.

Hope it helps,
Scubaemma
Sounds great
Old Feb 27th 2007, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

soldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of light

Hi
I love using skype. Like you said it makes it bearable being able to see the kids everyday and for them to be able to see me.

Mark
Old Feb 27th 2007, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

tofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud of

Skype is awesome.
Bearing in mind as recently as 25 years ago it wasn't even possible to phone Oz on a daily basis due to connection issues, high costs and time restrictions, to talk to someone (let alone see them) for practically nowt is amazing (in my humble opinion). We speak to friends in Adelaide most Sundays and there is very little delay.
I have to say it does make them look browner than us though.............

As an aside, for all you non-Skypers, Tele-Discount is a great service for cheap phone calls. Dial 08444 621621, then the number you want, including country code (it is all explained on the line).
All calls are two pence per min. When I checked my bill, they were actually about 1.5p.
Great for an hour at around a quid!
Old Feb 27th 2007, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by soldierblue
Hi
I love using skype. Like you said it makes it bearable being able to see the kids everyday and for them to be able to see me.

Mark
Yep I think it's the seeing stuff - OH and I never talk on the phone - it's just not the same as being sat in the 'same' room talking face to face so speak,even if it is a screen - if that makes any sense
Old Feb 27th 2007, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

When we were in Brisbane recently, the holiday home were staying at had a fast broadband internet connection and a wireless router

As I own an Apple MacBook Pro laptop with the iSight webcam built into the top of the screen I was able to log into Skype and then wander around the house and garden to give my parents back at home in the UK (also logged into Skype) a guided tour of the place!! How awesome is that??!!

They could even pick-up the sounds of the birds and wildlife!!

I can just about remember the days when my mother would get excited whenever she received one of those 'tracing-paper' thin airmail envelopes containing a letter from her brother in Melbourne. These generally came every few months or so.

Today's technology is fantastic

Cheers
Old Feb 27th 2007, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

soldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of light

Yep I think it's the seeing stuff - OH and I never talk on the phone - it's just not the same as being sat in the 'same' room talking face to face so speak,even if it is a screen - if that makes any sense
I know what you mean.
All but one of my kids is 4 and under and its hard for them to understand whats going on.
But getting to see daddy on the 'cuter' as they call it makes it alot easier for them and me!!

Mark
Old Feb 27th 2007, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

tofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud of

Right, so your child is under 4. Don't worry, if he/she's anything like my daughter, in less than 2 years they will be your I.T. Dept
Old Feb 27th 2007, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Scubaemma

Hope it helps,
Scubaemma
We've got an earlier model of this Phillips phone and are really impressed with it. It works as a dual Skype/Landline phone (although with this version the base unit is connected to a pc via usb). It's great not having to sit at your PC when calling the UK.

Skype has been great in general and certainly a big factor in pushning the cost of international phone calls down. When we first came over it was so handy for all the calls we ended up having to make to organisations back in the UK to tie up loose ends. If we'd had to use a traditional landline it would have cost a fortune.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

Maybe Ive said that wrong.
I have 1 whose 12 and the other four are four and under.
I dont know abot an IT dept but they make a great demolition company.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 8:26 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soldierblue
Maybe Ive said that wrong.
I have 1 whose 12 and the other four are four and under.
I dont know abot an IT dept but they make a great demolition company.
5 kids how fantastic!!

Four under 4! OMG!!!!
Old Feb 27th 2007, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
Very few people mention www.jajah.com Is there not many people using it?

We have found Jajah fantastic! Get the other person to register (free) and you can talk to them for 1 hour every day or free. Once your free hour is up, get them to call you back and you can chat for 2 hours free.

Jajah uses a computer and a normal landline, so you are not tied to the computer room! get a headset (we have) and you can walk about (with a DECT phone) doing normal chores while chatting.

Neil.
Yes we use it after you recommended it in an another post. Suits us fine - thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.