Skype in Aus

Old Jul 14th 2008, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Skype in Aus

I'm not really aware of how the Skype phones work... Do you need to be within range of a hot spot or internet connection or do they work off the telecom towers?
Old Jul 14th 2008, 12:25 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UK-2-OZ
I'm not really aware of how the Skype phones work... Do you need to be within range of a hot spot or internet connection or do they work off the telecom towers?
No you don't need to be in a hot spot. They are always connected via GPRS which is the data side of a mobile phone.

They (the Skype phones) are available from 3 Mobile and they have a Skype button on the phone. Push to connect and it will stay connected and show you as 'on-line' to your friends abroad. You will see when they are online as their colour changes (just like the internet version of Skype) You simply select their name and push to talk. Using GPRS (data) your phone connects and you can talk.
You get 4000 (thousand) free mins per month to use on Skype.

I have made calls driving down the freeway and my Skype buddies cannot believe I am not at my PC in my home. Very good, just do not have many people on Skype to call! :-(
Old Jul 14th 2008, 1:19 pm
looking for an easy life!

IanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to all

we use skype all the time, we even have a skype phone which we pay £3 a month and get a local english number and uunlimitedcall to english landline, so people can call us and it costs them a english land line number. We use the video links for the kids to talk to cousins and grandparents. When we arrived we went into rented and telstra was going to charge us $300 to connect phone and then all the normal charges and as we were only going to be here 6 months it was alot, so we got naked boardband and it has a much faster speed than all the phone companies where offering and its wireless. we love it and all our family and freinds have signed up to it, it has helped with the homesickness. good luck
Old Jul 14th 2008, 7:20 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

ooh never thought of that option. hmmmm
Old Jul 14th 2008, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Dizzydame has a brilliant futureDizzydame has a brilliant futureDizzydame has a brilliant futureDizzydame has a brilliant futureDizzydame has a brilliant futureDizzydame has a brilliant futureDizzydame has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by IanJakeCharlieDaddy
we use skype all the time, we even have a skype phone which we pay £3 a month and get a local english number and uunlimitedcall to english landline, so people can call us and it costs them a english land line number. We use the video links for the kids to talk to cousins and grandparents. When we arrived we went into rented and telstra was going to charge us $300 to connect phone and then all the normal charges and as we were only going to be here 6 months it was alot, so we got naked boardband and it has a much faster speed than all the phone companies where offering and its wireless. we love it and all our family and freinds have signed up to it, it has helped with the homesickness. good luck
Hi, could you tell me did you buy the phone in Oz or UK, my daughter is going over in 8 weeks and I want her to keep in touch with me thats assuming she will want to

thanks

Dizzy
Old Jul 14th 2008, 10:39 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dizzydame
Hi, could you tell me did you buy the phone in Oz or UK, my daughter is going over in 8 weeks and I want her to keep in touch with me thats assuming she will want to

thanks

Dizzy
Hi Dizzy

http://www.threeskypephone.com.au/ AUSTRALIA

http://www.three.co.uk/personal/prod...kype_phone.omp UK (39.99 GBP on Pay as you go)

I assume they will work when abroad, but check before you purchase.
Neil.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

Dizzydame has a brilliant futureDizzydame has a brilliant futureDizzydame has a brilliant futureDizzydame has a brilliant futureDizzydame has a brilliant futureDizzydame has a brilliant futureDizzydame has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Re: Skype in Aus

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
Hi Dizzy

http://www.threeskypephone.com.au/ AUSTRALIA

http://www.three.co.uk/personal/prod...kype_phone.omp UK (39.99 GBP on Pay as you go)

I assume they will work when abroad, but check before you purchase.
Neil.

Neil, thanks very much for that

regards

Dizzy
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

Neil
Thanks for that it sounds a great idea and a lot cheaper than my $180 a month telstra mobile bill
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

chris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to all

Hi we use skype on the pc all the time and its great, But we did buy 2 skype mobile phones in the uk thinking they would work here but they dont! so any one coming out is better of waiting and buying one here....

chris
Old Jul 15th 2008, 3:23 am

IanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dizzydame

thanks

Dizzy
Its not a mobile phone it is a dect phone (like a normal digital cordless phone at home, but it plugs into you boardband)it was abut £90 and you can find them on the skype pages. We had it as a leaving present from uk. You just connect it to your skyoe account and away you go. As I said we pay £3 a month to skype for a local english number and unlimted call to uk land lines as not everyone has skype.

The naked boardband is $70 a month up to 24mb with 20g a month download.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 11:28 am
Hillarys, Perth

Its not a mobile phone it is a dect phone (like a normal digital cordless phone at home, but it plugs into you boardband)it was abut £90 and you can find them on the skype pages. We had it as a leaving present from uk. You just connect it to your skyoe account and away you go. As I said we pay £3 a month to skype for a local english number and unlimted call to uk land lines as not everyone has skype.

The naked boardband is $70 a month up to 24mb with 20g a month download.
Sorry to disagree... it IS a mobile phone.

Check out the website links to 3 mobile.
Regards
Old Jul 16th 2008, 12:29 am

Sorry to disagree... it IS a mobile phone.

Check out the website links to 3 mobile.
Regards
Sorry to disagree back but it is a DECT phone. This phone will not work outside the house away from the base site. It is like a normal digital wireless phone that you would have in your house. When you make a call, it gives you the option of making the call by skypeOut or over the normal landline (as it connects into that as well).

Take a look at - http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/04...tgear_sph200d/

Yes of course you can get mobile phones as well and I also have a LG Viewty U990 that has the skype application on it as well but (in my experience) the voice quality is not as good as my Netgear phone and with my LG u990 the skype application eats the battery.

I hope that this helps someone out there as this is certainly an excellent solution for us.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 1:37 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to disagree back but it is a DECT phone. This phone will not work outside the house away from the base site. It is like a normal digital wireless phone that you would have in your house. When you make a call, it gives you the option of making the call by skypeOut or over the normal landline (as it connects into that as well).

Take a look at - http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/04...tgear_sph200d/

Yes of course you can get mobile phones as well and I also have a LG Viewty U990 that has the skype application on it as well but (in my experience) the voice quality is not as good as my Netgear phone and with my LG u990 the skype application eats the battery.

I hope that this helps someone out there as this is certainly an excellent solution for us.
Yep - no way I'd buy one of those '3' mobiles. On the road I use Skypeout - but we're getting a Linksys phone for the house.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

I have now subscribed to a Skype out number.
I have a local number to call (Perth number) and from dialling that, I can call any of the stored 'speed dial' numbers or any number in the world, for the price of a local call.
I use it most from my mobile phone. While driving home, I'll call my parents in the UK (via the local number) and speak for the cost of a local call, (which is free as it's a company mobile!)
The cost is 3 EUR per month and the calls are unlimited. If I call via a USB phone connected to the PC, the calls are unlimited in length and all for the 3 Euros.
Hi there,

Can I just clarify something.

You have Australia as your local destination. Do you then pay for the subscription to the world one so that all destinations are charged at the local rate??? Are you charged just for connection when your on your mobile or do you pay per min for the mobile call at the local rate then the pay skype for the cost of a local call.

This looks good and I want to set it up.

I guess if I am not using my mobile to call the UK (I haven't and won't get one of those 3 ones) I could set up a skype uk number so that its just UK costs.

Am I getting the right end of the stick???

Last edited by PoppetUK; Jul 16th 2008 at 4:56 am.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Hi there,

Can I just clarify something.

You have Australia as your local destination. Do you then pay for the subscription to the world one so that all destinations are charged at the local rate??? Are you charged just for connection when your on your mobile or do you pay per min for the mobile call at the local rate then the pay skype for the cost of a local call.

This looks good and I want to set it up.

I guess if I am not using my mobile to call the UK (I haven't and won't get one of those 3 ones) I could set up a skype uk number so that its just UK costs.

Am I getting the right end of the stick???
When you have a SKYPE UK telephone number that only assists people in the UK from dialling you. There are only a limited number of exchanges that you can currently get a skype number on. If you are lucky, this will be a local call for a majority of your callers. At worst, it is still a UK number for them to call and callers can use their bundled minutes from their mobiles to use it for "free".

As for the subscriptions from Skype there are two levels. 1) Unlimited calls to 1 country or 2) Unlimited calls worldwide. These are unlimited to landlines as mobiles are extra. These subscriptions are done on a month by month basis so you can end it when you like.

We live in Oz (obviously) and all of our calls are in the UK. So we have option 1 above which includes the unlimited calls to landlines as well as a UK number and voicemail. We also have the Netgear phone (see earlier post for the URL) which costs about £100 and we brought with us. So this DECT phone is connected to our BB router and acts as a home phone for us to dial the UK and for UK people to dial us (as a uk call). Skype does the rest for us

When you take this option, you can also get the local phone number to dial which allows you to SkypeOut to your chosen destination(s).

I hope that this helps.

NOTE: We have naked DSL and no phone phone line. Skype etc state that they should not be used as a replacement for a landline as you cannot use it for emergency calls. We have mobiles for this.

Last edited by IanJakeCharlieDaddy; Jul 16th 2008 at 8:35 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.