Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Skype App on IPhone/Galaxy

Skype App on IPhone/Galaxy

Old Feb 9th 2011, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Skype App on IPhone/Galaxy

Anyone using the skype on their phone to phone the UK on a regularish basis? If so what sort of download usage are you roughly getting?
Old Feb 9th 2011, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skype App on IPhone/Galaxy

Originally Posted by bingobob777
Anyone using the skype on their phone to phone the UK on a regularish basis? If so what sort of download usage are you roughly getting?
Skype is a proprietary implementation of the VOIP/SIP protocol, when making VOIP calls on my iphone I use about 300k/min, skype should be very similar to that. To put this in perspective my monthly data allowance is 1GB, which would be enough for 50 hours of calls.

The reason I don't use Skype (have in the past) is that they charge by the min, I use a VOIP provider (pennytel) which allows me to call the UK for a flat fee, wife talks to her mum for an hour at a time and costs me only 8c. However I mostly do this using my home phone via a VOIP router.

Last edited by freebo; Feb 9th 2011 at 9:43 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to behold

If you are at home and on wireless then any calls from your iphone using skype are free anyway as you are not using 3G.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fluid36
If you are at home and on wireless then any calls from your iphone using skype are free anyway as you are not using 3G.
Just to clarify that, on wifi the data usage comes from your home broadband/wifi allowance but the calls still cost the prevailing skype rate.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 10:08 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by freebo
The reason I don't use Skype (have in the past) is that they charge by the min, I use a VOIP provider (pennytel) which allows me to call the UK for a flat fee, wife talks to her mum for an hour at a time and costs me only 8c. However I mostly do this using my home phone via a VOIP router.
Agreed - I'll use skype from time to time for Video conferences with home. But if its just a phone call I'll use our landline which is connected via a VOIP service with 'mynetphone'. Calls are untimed and free (for 60 calls a month)

Skype on the iPhone does work - but to be honest I find the iPhone to be seriously crap as a phone. Its a neat device for doing lots of things - but its ability as a phone (bad speaker, bad microphone) is just not good enough.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Agreed - I'll use skype from time to time for Video conferences with home. But if its just a phone call I'll use our landline which is connected via a VOIP service with 'mynetphone'. Calls are untimed and free (for 60 calls a month)
Doesn't that have a monthly fee? At the moment I'm only paying for individual calls at 8c a time with PT, and since I make no more than 20 calls per month its less than $2 per month for all international calls, looking on MNF's website they seem to charge per min for international calls and a monthly or annual fee.

Also, never had issues with the speaker/mic on my IP4, did have horrible problems with the proximity sensor but that was fixed by a firmware update.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 12:56 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Doesn't that have a monthly fee?
$5 a month. Thats my total phone spend.

Other plans might work better for others (e.g. the $5 a year plan with 10c calls and 1.9c per minute to UK) - but the $5 a month with free calls works out best for us. https://www.mynetfone.com.au/whirlpool/VoIP/Plans

Last edited by DadAgain; Feb 10th 2011 at 12:58 am.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

I use Skype on Android (Acer Liquid), it's reasonably reliable although the call quality isn't always the best. Data usage is insignificant.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DadAgain
$5 a month. Thats my total phone spend.
I'll bear it in mind should I fall out with PT, but right now our costs are less than $2 per month, no monthly fee and 8c flat call rate on PT. The $3 is neither here nor there, I just wanted to see how cheaply I could do it for.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

I'll bear it in mind should I fall out with PT, but right now our costs are less than $2 per month, no monthly fee and 8c flat call rate on PT.
I frequently have to call mobiles so I doubt my bill would be so low. There wasn't a decent VOIP app for Android the last time I checked too. One handy thing is that my incoming number is portable between providers so I can switch easily if someone introduces a decent VOIP app.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Steve2009
I frequently have to call mobiles so I doubt my bill would be so low. There wasn't a decent VOIP app for Android the last time I checked too. One handy thing is that my incoming number is portable between providers so I can switch easily if someone introduces a decent VOIP app.
10.5c/min for calls to mobiles, not sure what Skype charge I use my mobile for all Aus bound calls, and only use VOIP for overseas though. Fring for Android seemed to work OK when I tried it.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

10.5c/min for calls to mobiles, not sure what Skype charge I use my mobile for all Aus bound calls, and only use VOIP for overseas though. Fring for Android seemed to work OK when I tried it.
I used an early version of Fring and wasn't impressed. I might give it another try. Pennytel is 40 cents per minute to Ireland Mobiles. Skype is 32.2 incl VAT, which reminds me I must make sure Skype are not charging me VAT.

EDIT: Just checked and they're not charging me VAT so it's actually 28 cents per minute.

Last edited by Steve2009; Feb 10th 2011 at 1:30 am.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Fluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to behold

Just to clarify that, on wifi the data usage comes from your home broadband/wifi allowance but the calls still cost the prevailing skype rate.
Correct - home wifi obviously has a huge usage limit which will almost never be reached. Also skype to skype is what I'm talking about which has no usage costs and is free.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Steve2009
I used an early version of Fring and wasn't impressed. I might give it another try. Pennytel is 40 cents per minute to Ireland Mobiles. Skype is 32.2 incl VAT, which reminds me I must make sure Skype are not charging me VAT.

EDIT: Just checked and they're not charging me VAT so it's actually 28 cents per minute.
Fair enough - I don't call overseas mobiles at all.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Fair enough - I don't call overseas mobiles at all.
The folks are seldom at home and my siblings don't have landlines. The disparity between landline rates and mobile rates is a bit of a joke in this day and age. I wonder how they justify it, the infrastructure can't be much more expensive?