British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Skipper's Ticket (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/skippers-ticket-568445/)

ACE Oct 21st 2008 12:34 pm

Skipper's Ticket

Hi Folks,
Just wondering if anyone has done the ST, how difficult was it to pass?

nightnurse2 Oct 21st 2008 1:06 pm

Re: Skipper's Ticket

If I passed it, anyone can ;)

(So says my OH!!)

sarahntonygoingtooz Oct 21st 2008 1:10 pm

Did it a couple of weeks ago - it was good fun!

Just make sure you get the right verison of the handbook, and not like me who study the wrong one!

Good luck - i am sure you won't need it!

Siren & Brian Oct 21st 2008 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by ACE (Post 6895671)
Hi Folks,
Just wondering if anyone has done the ST, how difficult was it to pass?

Most of them have a no pass no pay policy, so cant be hard to pass.

moneypenny20 Oct 21st 2008 11:38 pm

It's easy to pass. Go for it.

ACE Oct 22nd 2008 5:08 am

Thanks for all your replies, both hubby and I will go for it in a couple of weeks. :thumbup:

ACE Oct 22nd 2008 5:33 am

Originally Posted by sarahntonygoingtooz (Post 6895749)
Did it a couple of weeks ago - it was good fun!

Just make sure you get the right verison of the handbook, and not like me who study the wrong one!

Good luck - i am sure you won't need it!

Didn't think of that, what version of the book should I have? I have 'A Guide to Obtaining the Recreational Skipper's Ticket Workbook Third Edition', hope it is the right one :confused:

Kalenge Oct 22nd 2008 6:03 am

I've got a RYAC Powerboat skippers license (i.e. a UK skippers ticket). Does anyone know if it is transferrable to an Aussie one? (I was able to use it in the Netherlands when I lived there).

kjc Oct 22nd 2008 9:08 am

No not valid,I have a yachtmaster offshore with a commercial endorsement.
and still had to take a test for a tinnie :)

ABCDiamond Oct 22nd 2008 9:50 am

Here's a boat licencing company on Brisbane Bayside

http://www.baysideboatlicensing.com.au/

kiwinow Oct 23rd 2008 2:10 am

Is there a lower age limit for getting your skipper's license? OH and I both want to get it but so does our 15yo son.

cresta57 Oct 23rd 2008 8:02 am

Originally Posted by kiwinow (Post 6901340)
Is there a lower age limit for getting your skipper's license? OH and I both want to get it but so does our 15yo son.

You can do the course at 15½ then apply for a learners licence at 16 show the certificate for the boaties course to the Qld transport office & hey presto your son will be licenced to drive the boat. Very handy if you want to have a couple of beers while your fishing.

kiwinow Oct 23rd 2008 8:41 pm

Exactly! :thumbup:

sarahntonygoingtooz Oct 24th 2008 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by ACE (Post 6898346)
Didn't think of that, what version of the book should I have? I have 'A Guide to Obtaining the Recreational Skipper's Ticket Workbook Third Edition', hope it is the right one :confused:

It's now the fourth edition - we got ours from the Freemantle Marine Authority place so got a shock when I turned up for the course and realise there were small differences.

Don't worry about it most courses will do a morning of revision before getting you to sit the theory part of the test.

The fun part for me was berthing the boat at the dock, I struggle parking a car!!

But if i passed I am sure you will!! Have fun!

WS Oct 24th 2008 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Kalenge (Post 6898375)
I've got a RYAC Powerboat skippers license (i.e. a UK skippers ticket). Does anyone know if it is transferrable to an Aussie one? (I was able to use it in the Netherlands when I lived there).

Kalenge - what qualification do you have? They gave me a RST based on my UK Powerboat Level 2 certificate :).