British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Skipper's Ticket (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/skippers-ticket-568445/)

ACE Oct 21st 2008 12:34 pm

Skipper's Ticket

Hi Folks,
Just wondering if anyone has done the ST, how difficult was it to pass?

nightnurse2 Oct 21st 2008 1:06 pm

Re: Skipper's Ticket

If I passed it, anyone can ;)

(So says my OH!!)

sarahntonygoingtooz Oct 21st 2008 1:10 pm

Did it a couple of weeks ago - it was good fun!

Just make sure you get the right verison of the handbook, and not like me who study the wrong one!

Good luck - i am sure you won't need it!

Siren & Brian Oct 21st 2008 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by ACE (Post 6895671)
Hi Folks,
Just wondering if anyone has done the ST, how difficult was it to pass?

Most of them have a no pass no pay policy, so cant be hard to pass.

moneypenny20 Oct 21st 2008 11:38 pm

It's easy to pass. Go for it.

ACE Oct 22nd 2008 5:08 am

Thanks for all your replies, both hubby and I will go for it in a couple of weeks. :thumbup:

ACE Oct 22nd 2008 5:33 am

Originally Posted by sarahntonygoingtooz (Post 6895749)
Did it a couple of weeks ago - it was good fun!

Just make sure you get the right verison of the handbook, and not like me who study the wrong one!

Good luck - i am sure you won't need it!

Didn't think of that, what version of the book should I have? I have 'A Guide to Obtaining the Recreational Skipper's Ticket Workbook Third Edition', hope it is the right one :confused:

Kalenge Oct 22nd 2008 6:03 am

I've got a RYAC Powerboat skippers license (i.e. a UK skippers ticket). Does anyone know if it is transferrable to an Aussie one? (I was able to use it in the Netherlands when I lived there).

kjc Oct 22nd 2008 9:08 am

No not valid,I have a yachtmaster offshore with a commercial endorsement.
and still had to take a test for a tinnie :)

ABCDiamond Oct 22nd 2008 9:50 am

Here's a boat licencing company on Brisbane Bayside

http://www.baysideboatlicensing.com.au/

kiwinow Oct 23rd 2008 2:10 am

Is there a lower age limit for getting your skipper's license? OH and I both want to get it but so does our 15yo son.

cresta57 Oct 23rd 2008 8:02 am

Originally Posted by kiwinow (Post 6901340)
Is there a lower age limit for getting your skipper's license? OH and I both want to get it but so does our 15yo son.

You can do the course at 15½ then apply for a learners licence at 16 show the certificate for the boaties course to the Qld transport office & hey presto your son will be licenced to drive the boat. Very handy if you want to have a couple of beers while your fishing.

kiwinow Oct 23rd 2008 8:41 pm

Exactly! :thumbup:

sarahntonygoingtooz Oct 24th 2008 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by ACE (Post 6898346)
Didn't think of that, what version of the book should I have? I have 'A Guide to Obtaining the Recreational Skipper's Ticket Workbook Third Edition', hope it is the right one :confused:

It's now the fourth edition - we got ours from the Freemantle Marine Authority place so got a shock when I turned up for the course and realise there were small differences.

Don't worry about it most courses will do a morning of revision before getting you to sit the theory part of the test.

The fun part for me was berthing the boat at the dock, I struggle parking a car!!

But if i passed I am sure you will!! Have fun!

WS Oct 24th 2008 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Kalenge (Post 6898375)
I've got a RYAC Powerboat skippers license (i.e. a UK skippers ticket). Does anyone know if it is transferrable to an Aussie one? (I was able to use it in the Netherlands when I lived there).

Kalenge - what qualification do you have? They gave me a RST based on my UK Powerboat Level 2 certificate :).

Kalenge Oct 25th 2008 2:44 am

Originally Posted by WS (Post 6905813)
Kalenge - what qualification do you have? They gave me a RST based on my UK Powerboat Level 2 certificate :).

Hi WS,

It's a RYA National Powerboat Level 2 certificate. Sounds like it's the same as yours.

ACE Oct 25th 2008 5:21 am

Originally Posted by sarahntonygoingtooz (Post 6905747)
It's now the fourth edition - we got ours from the Freemantle Marine Authority place so got a shock when I turned up for the course and realise there were small differences.

Don't worry about it most courses will do a morning of revision before getting you to sit the theory part of the test.

The fun part for me was berthing the boat at the dock, I struggle parking a car!!

But if i passed I am sure you will!! Have fun!

Thanks for the info, to be honest I am a bit nervous about it but I will certainly try to have fun. Did you do the test in your own boat after delivery or did you take the test first? Our boat is being delivered in a couple of weeks and we haven't decided whether to do the test first or wait until we have the boat.

sarahntonygoingtooz Oct 25th 2008 11:40 am

Originally Posted by ACE (Post 6908296)
Thanks for the info, to be honest I am a bit nervous about it but I will certainly try to have fun. Did you do the test in your own boat after delivery or did you take the test first? Our boat is being delivered in a couple of weeks and we haven't decided whether to do the test first or wait until we have the boat.

I took the test in the school boat, mainly because we haven't got a boat yet!!

Hubbie has a theory that with the current 'credit crisis' luxury items like boats should be coming down in value, and already there are some serious baragins in the US, so hopefully get one soon!

I would take it in the schools boat as you won't mind soo much if you give it a little bump against the jetty.

Enjoy!

ACE Oct 25th 2008 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by sarahntonygoingtooz (Post 6908906)
I took the test in the school boat, mainly because we haven't got a boat yet!!

Hubbie has a theory that with the current 'credit crisis' luxury items like boats should be coming down in value, and already there are some serious baragins in the US, so hopefully get one soon!

I would take it in the schools boat as you won't mind soo much if you give it a little bump against the jetty.

Enjoy!

Thanks Sarah. Your hubby is definitely right about the bargains. We bought ours at the Mandurah Boat Show a couple of weeks ago for less than last year's price on last year's model and because we 'ummed and arred' for a good hour and a half the salesman kept offering us more to sweeten the deal. We ended getting all the covers (cockpit, transport etc), flares, EPIRB, registration of the boat and trailer and heaps of other stuff. If you are going for an imported boat get in quick, Aussie brokers were buying boats in from the US at 95c to the US$ and now of course they are looking at around 60c to the US$ so although they will find it harder to sell their goods their retail prices will inevitably go up in order to maintain a decent profit margin.