Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Skin Cancer in Australia

Skin Cancer in Australia

Old Jun 18th 2004, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Megalania
Not all skin cancer is sun caused.

Granted, but as the majority of the posts in this thread had been discussing skin cancer caused by being in the sun too much, I was merely pointing out that clouds do not stop the suns rays.
Old Jun 18th 2004, 12:49 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by darkless
Granted, but as the majority of the posts in this thread had been discussing skin cancer caused by being in the sun too much, I was merely pointing out that clouds do not stop the suns rays.
after the beach gets boring .....wearing proper clothing helps.....light and loose ...that will keep those nasty sun rays out
Old Jun 18th 2004, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally posted by seang
after the beach gets boring .....wearing proper clothing helps.....light and loose ...that will keep those nasty sun rays out
Never been one for sunbathing anyway. I like the sun to be out and the sky blue, but only so that I can enjoy activities outdoors.

<off topic>
I would love to learn to sail when I come over. Anyone know of any good friendly sailing clubs in Perth?
</offtopic>
Old Jun 18th 2004, 2:23 pm
Waitin for my RPL result.

phyonics is an unknown quantity at this point

nor does lying under a tree in the shade stop burning if the sun is strong enough.

We honeymooned in the Dominican Republic and there was quite a number of people who got burned after lying in the shade of a palm tree on the beach. The sun was so strong that the rays penetrated the leaves.........

maybe its just something about palm trees I don't know?

Marko
Old Jun 18th 2004, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

UV rays can bounce off/reflect the sea / light concrete / sand etc. also, you need to wear clothes with a thick weave. My bro was told to wear dark clothes, although this can make you feel hotter (black absorbs heat). Can't think why this works
Old Jun 18th 2004, 4:59 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

I must say I'm worried! I used to tan to red whenever possible in the 'bad old days' when we all thought that a tan was cool. I still like a tan but I only tan to brown these days then cover up. I'm probably one of those people you hate because they are 'do as I say not as I do' people: we religiously stop our sons from getting too much sun, slip slap slop and loads of it. My wife is another candidate for the sun cancer coffin: we even went to the solarium together in the past!!!
Old Jun 18th 2004, 6:13 pm
Waitin for my RPL result.

phyonics is an unknown quantity at this point

Don - at least you're stopping your sons getting too much sun thats the main thing eh?

Can't change whats done eh? I'm sure we've all damaged our skin by too much exposure to the son in the past.

Seeing that advert for Soltan (I think) on the TV in the UK recently where it shows sun damage as loads of freckles on their faces made me think, cos when I get loads of sun my face becomes very similar to the ones on the advert!

And now the sun is bleaching the barrier reef too. Ban the sun, thats what I say.....I mean its not like we can't live without it...... :scared:

Marko
Old Jun 18th 2004, 6:21 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

I sometimes wonder whether if I had the choice between death at 80 with no sun to speak of in my life or 75 with loads of sun and sun tanning - what I would choose.

We humans are pretty useless once we get past 65, anyway.
Old Jun 18th 2004, 8:42 pm
wombat42

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
I sometimes wonder whether if I had the choice between death at 80 with no sun to speak of in my life or 75 with loads of sun and sun tanning - what I would choose.

We humans are pretty useless once we get past 65, anyway.
l agree, no one lives forever, if you advoid the sun you will just
die of heart disease or some other type of cancer besides skin cancer in your old age.