Skin Cancer

Old Mar 2nd 2010, 3:06 am
Forum Regular

australiamaybe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skin Cancer

It seems that 2 out of 3 Australians get skin cancer before they are 70, which is quite an alarming statistic. I am currently considering relocating to Oz and this worrys me a bit particularly with my kids.

Looking at the UV index for Australia it seems the lowest is Melbourne still high but less than other places.

Does anybody else concern about this and does anybody have regional statistics for skin cancer across Australia.

The scary one I read was that the cancergins in sun lotion can actually cause skin cancer. If that is the case you can't win.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 3:27 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skin Cancer

Originally Posted by australiamaybe
It seems that 2 out of 3 Australians get skin cancer before they are 70, which is quite an alarming statistic. I am currently considering relocating to Oz and this worrys me a bit particularly with my kids.

Looking at the UV index for Australia it seems the lowest is Melbourne still high but less than other places.

Does anybody else concern about this and does anybody have regional statistics for skin cancer across Australia.

The scary one I read was that the cancergins in sun lotion can actually cause skin cancer. If that is the case you can't win.
Check the mortality rate for skin cancer in Australia and then in the UK - that may calm your fears a little - or perhaps not! (although in either country you should always take precautions and be vigilant)

I know that others have posted on here that doctors are much more switched on in Australia to the early detection of skin cancer and so treatment occurs much earlier than in northern hemisphere countries.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 4:06 am
ABCDiamond

In Australia most people get checked for cancer every year, therefore early cancers get picked up very fast, and removed.

Deaths from Skin Cancer
Australia = 1,678 deaths
UK = 2,300+ deaths

Deaths from reported cases of Skin Cancer
4.4 per 1,000 in Australia
31.9 per 1,000 in UK

The chance of dying from skin cancer in Australia is very low compared to the UK.

The chance of getting skin cancer is high compared to the UK.

Old Mar 2nd 2010, 5:41 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The chance of dying from skin cancer in Australia is very low compared to the UK.
...but

Deaths from Skin Cancer
Australia = 1,678 deaths
UK = 2,300+ deaths
means chance of dying from skin cancer, approx:

Aus: 7.6 per 100,000 people
UK: 3.8+ per 100,000 people
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 5:57 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bcworld
...but

means chance of dying from skin cancer, approx:

Aus: 7.6 per 100,000 people
UK: 3.8+ per 100,000 people
Based on these two relevant stats, I would rather get skin cancer in Australia, than in Europe.

Deaths per diagnosed skin cancer
Aus: 4.4 per 1,000
UK: 31.9 per 1,000

Deaths per population
Aus: 7.6 per 100,000
UK: 3.8+ per 100,000

Probably because of the known risks in Australia, my experiences with the sun have been less risky than they were in Europe.

Hopefully most British will have the same regard for the sun, having seen discussions on this, and avoid getting skin cancers.

Old Mar 2nd 2010, 6:02 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Deaths per diagnosed skin cancer
Aus: 4.4 per 1,000
UK: 31.9 per 1,000
Any source for this btw?

I'm interested to see which types of skin cancer are included - all types or just the most serious?
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 6:10 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bcworld
Any source for this btw?

I'm interested to see which types of skin cancer are included - all types or just the most serious?
http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/
http://www.sunsmart.com.au/

The 1,678 figure was:
1,273 melanoma
405 non-melanoma skin cancer

Old Mar 2nd 2010, 6:13 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Its easier to get Skin Cancer here because the sun is closer to the earth over Australia.

I my Mother told me this just before I migrated so it must be true.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 6:42 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

You always wear a hat and long sleaved shirt when going out in the summer sun works better then sun lotion, l never wear any.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 6:46 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

l think Queensland the 'sunshine state" worst for skin cancer, l think Melbounre and VIctorias the lowest.

Last edited by mohogony; Mar 2nd 2010 at 6:49 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 7:46 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by mohogony
You always wear a hat and long sleaved shirt when going out in the summer sun works better then sun lotion, l never wear any.
Nor do I.

In 2004...
Over 375,000 people received treatment for non-melanoma skin cancer in Australia and Queensland accounts for 36% of this.

Tasmanians have the lowest overall rate of skin cancer in Australia.

Old Mar 2nd 2010, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Sunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to all

You can get sun protection which doesn't have all the nasty chemicals in it (some of which are known carcinogens and endocrine disruptors - ) but it is more expensive.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

manzipoo will become famous soon enough

You can win the battle against cancer. Prevention is better than the cure.
Lots of sun lotions without all the chemicals are available.
Try wicker herbal store.
Nutricentre.
Can't think where else sells the creams, if I find out I will post the link.
Get the highest possible factor, cover up at all times if poss, especially kiddies.
Don't let the sun put you off.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

manzipoo will become famous soon enough

Check out the herbal stores, I got my creams from there, and no nasty chemicals.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 9:13 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Once you've lived over here for a while, you tend to stay in the shade if there is any available.

Nothing wrong with going out in the sun... I love a bit of sunbathing (or, sunbaking as it is called here)... just make sure you avoid the middle of the day and use suncream.

As per ABCDiamond's posts, regular checks for skin cancer are "the norm" here....but not in the UK.

The frequency of these checks depends on your level of risk... which is generally thought to be a function of skin type and number/size of moles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.