Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

IT Skills shortage is a wretched myth

IT Skills shortage is a wretched myth

Old Mar 5th 2003, 2:44 am

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default x

x

Last edited by @boy; Mar 16th 2003 at 7:53 am.
Old Mar 5th 2003, 3:13 am
BE Enthusiast

onlyme is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah, it is bad. And when you do a get a job here the people are so anal it's not worth it anyway....thinking of going home me. Seems to be picking up over there, if job emails are anything to go by.

seek.com.au
jobnet.au
jobserve.com <== Ozzie version
Old Mar 5th 2003, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

susmac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IT Skills shortage is a wretched myth

Originally posted by @boy
Well, we did know that it was pretty bad when we were applying for our PR visas but to be honest, the IT scene here in Melbourne it is a lot worse than I expected.
My wife got a good job in her area (Fashion Designer) within a couple of weeks of looking, but finding work in IT here in Melbourne for me is becoming a wee bit depressing !

When I see articles like this one from today, I don't feel so bad as then I know it's not just me :-)
Skills shortage is a wretched myth (The Age - March 4th 2003)

Here's a good site set up by an unemployed IT professional here in Oz. Worth looking at for anyone job hunting in IT at the moment.
Hard Yards - Australia

Hi
As some of you may know I am a nurse , however I am now working in Brisbane in recruitment. I personally am dealing in healthcare and mostly International, however the company deals in all areas including IT, Technical, Education, etc etc.
If any one wants to email me I can give you the details and your resume can go on our database.

Susan
Old Mar 5th 2003, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

cruisey is an unknown quantity at this point

I too work in IT and the only thing that worries me about the move to Oz is 'will I find work?'. Is it really really that bad?

My Wife and I want to move to Brisbane, but if IT jobs are so rare it may be an idea to go to somewhere like Sydney for a while. Does anyone have any views on where there are most IT jobs at the moment????
Old Mar 5th 2003, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by cruisey
I too work in IT and the only thing that worries me about the move to Oz is 'will I find work?'. Is it really really that bad?

My Wife and I want to move to Brisbane, but if IT jobs are so rare it may be an idea to go to somewhere like Sydney for a while. Does anyone have any views on where there are most IT jobs at the moment????
Brisbane is absolutely dire for IT at the moment. I've heard of (and met) people who are offering to work on half pay or even for nothing and they are still getting rejected.

Even the lowliest IT job gets over 100 applicants. It's worse if you have a lot of experience - employers tend to shy away from that for some strange reason.

There's much more choice (relatively speaking) in Sydney or Melbourne.
Old Mar 5th 2003, 1:16 pm
plumber39

Not surprised looking at previous post,s on forum over the last six month,s

Old Mar 5th 2003, 1:35 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

cruise:
In 'Employment today' (a fortnightly jobs paper) the issue up to today has 8.5 pages NSW & ACT (really just Sydney), 7 pages Brisbane for IT & telecoms, and the previous edition 8 pages NSW & ACT, 4 pages Brisbane.

But is also an issue of contacts as places are commonly filled by word of mouth.

As we have over another year to wait for the visa, we still have that time to assess the job market and establish some points of contact, but are settled on Sydney for one reason being the type of IT job we are looking for, more companies are based there.
Old Mar 14th 2003, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Went to Perth 3 years ago and the IT situation was bad then, so bad that I returned here to carry on contracting.

The situation here is now the same so given the choice of being unemployed here or Perth.. I am selling up and going back to Perth will try my hand at somthing new, plus at 38 I am being told I am "too experienced" which translated means you are too old pal. !!
Old Mar 15th 2003, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE]Originally posted by etlniwd
Brisbane is absolutely dire for IT at the moment. I've heard of (and met) people who are offering to work on half pay or even for nothing and they are still getting rejected.

Even the lowliest IT job gets over 100 applicants.

We just advertised a clerical position and got 400 applicants which is not at all unusual here. Many offered to work for nothing to try out despite the fact that this is illegal and I would not exploit people like that anyway. (Sunshine Coast).

I seriously think that people in Oz need to look at making their own employment. I know that may mean a change of skills, but jobs here do not come on a plate so it may be necessary to think what will I do for myself. People DO appreciate hard workers as they are hard to find, if you can nut out an idea, market it like hell in a few years you may well be pleased you did. Own business is long hours we did at least 70 a week to start and 60 now but at least we have work. I know its hard especially after the SE UK where I always found work in my first day, but its not the UK, so try the business idea. It can be worth it longterm, but I guess it depends if you want to do such horrible hours.
Old Mar 15th 2003, 5:16 am

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

x

Last edited by @boy; Mar 16th 2003 at 7:51 am.