Skills Matching

Old Aug 30th 2002, 1:36 pm
Caroline

Caroline B is on a distinguished road
Default Skills Matching

Aaargh!
Am missing 5 points and don't want to stump up $100000 dollars if I can avoid it...(like I've got it...)
Has anyone out there had (or heard of anyone having) success on the skills matching nomination?

I am a public sector IT project manager - by the sound of things, Oz is overrun with them. so am assuming this route is a waste of time.. Am I right?

Thanks for any help!

Caroline:scared:
Old Aug 30th 2002, 9:40 pm
Jaj

Default Re: Skills Matching

Skill Matching is still something of a long shot. If you've got the A$100k to invest
and can get to 115 points (assuming you're going for skilled independent) I would
apply for Skilled Independent and fill in the Skill Matching section too.

If a regional nomination comes up, then great, if not, you should invest the A$100k.

If you haven't got A$100k to invest, and can't get to 115 points, then you should
probably apply for Skill Matching directly. It's a long shot, but certainly
worth a try.

If you could find an employer in Australia to sponsor you for a work permit, you
would qualify for an extra 5 points after having worked there for a 6 months. You
would have to do this 6 month experience before you applied for migration.

Jeremy

>On Fri, 30 Aug 2002 13:36:24 +0000, Caroline B <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Aaargh! Am missing 5 points and don't want to stump up $100000 dollars if I can
    >avoid it...(like I've got it...) Has anyone out there had (or heard of anyone
    >having) success on the skills matching nomination?
    >I am a public sector IT project manager - by the sound of things, Oz is overrun with
    >them. so am assuming this route is a waste of time.. Am I right?
    >Thanks for any help!
    >Caroline:scared:
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 1st 2002, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

uknurse is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Skills Matching

i too am in the same predicament as i am 5 points short off the 115. even with an extra 5 points for being a nurse which is on the occupation in demand list and five pints for spouses skill. it's a real pain in the arse i know. i am also a bit sceptical as to how successful the skills matching is. and i really don't want to be found a job just anywhere in oz. not that i really know where i would like to go it's just that i would like to have the opportunity to choose myself. after all it's a big decision to go in the first place and having to take a job just anywhere is not really what i had in mind when i started this process. i personally would not invest $100,000 as i would need that money to make the move in the first place. i suppose if someone has that sort of money to play with then that is an option.
i hope you manage to find a way around it. keep us posted and i will do the same. fingers crossed.
Old Sep 1st 2002, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

susmac is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by uknurse:
i too am in the same predicament as i am 5 points short off the 115. even with an extra 5 points for being a nurse which is on the occupation in demand list and five pints for spouses skill. it's a real pain in the arse i know. i am also a bit sceptical as to how successful the skills matching is. and i really don't want to be found a job just anywhere in oz. not that i really know where i would like to go it's just that i would like to have the opportunity to choose myself. after all it's a big decision to go in the first place and having to take a job just anywhere is not really what i had in mind when i started this process. i personally would not invest $100,000 as i would need that money to make the move in the first place. i suppose if someone has that sort of money to play with then that is an option.
i hope you manage to find a way around it. keep us posted and i will do the same. fingers crossed.
Hi
I'm a nurse and was short of 5 points, I got a job offer , you have to have a letter offering you full time employment. it wasn't difficult to get and I'm not actually under any obligation to work for them when I get there though I do plan to initially.
Susan
Old Sep 1st 2002, 9:16 pm
Jaj

If you're a nurse and find a relevant job offer, your 5 points for MODL goes up to

Nursing is in short supply in Australia, so you've a good chance of this - as for
where it might be, I guess it depends on how much you *really* want to go to
Australia. Once you hit 45, forget about it.

Jeremy

>On Sun, 01 Sep 2002 18:53:54 +0000, uknurse <[email protected]> wrote:
    >i too am in the same predicament as i am 5 points short off the 115. even with an
    >extra 5 points for being a nurse which is on the occupation in demand list and five
    >pints for spouses skill. it's a real pain in the arse i know. i am also a bit
    >sceptical as to how successful the skills matching is. and i really don't want to be
    >found a job just anywhere in oz. not that i really know where i would like to go
    >it's just that i would like to have the opportunity to choose myself. after all it's
    >a big decision to go in the first place and having to take a job just anywhere is
    >not really what i had in mind when i started this process. i personally would not
    >invest $100,000 as i would need that money to make the move in the first place. i
    >suppose if someone has that sort of money to play with then that is an option. i
    >hope you manage to find a way around it. keep us posted and i will do the same.
    >fingers crossed.
    >--

Old Sep 2nd 2002, 9:54 am
Caroline

Thanks for the replies - I'm too old to retrain as a nurse!! (41) - but reckon nurses would get a really good response from the skills match programme (aah, to be in demand!)

I can't see that IT experience (even in Healthcare) would be that sought after...

$100K is only feasible on selling my house - which I wouldn't do until I got the all clear and was planning to go directly... So at what stage in the process do you need to invest the money??

Also - How safe is your cash - what are you investing in? (Stocks and Shares have had a bit of a bumpy ride over here)

Cheers,

Caroline

:scared:
Old Sep 2nd 2002, 10:15 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Caroline.

There's info here on the bonus points and when your funds have to be invested:
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=155

You are investing for a fixed term with one of the State/Territory Governments that are pleased to accept your A$100k in return for which you receive interest. The investment is more akin to a Government Bond - so in principle your money should be secure and the underlying capital value remains constant.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Caroline B:
Thanks for the replies - I'm too old to retrain as a nurse!! (41) - but reckon nurses would get a really good response from the skills match programme (aah, to be in demand!)

I can't see that IT experience (even in Healthcare) would be that sought after...

$100K is only feasible on selling my house - which I wouldn't do until I got the all clear and was planning to go directly... So at what stage in the process do you need to invest the money??

Also - How safe is your cash - what are you investing in? (Stocks and Shares have had a bit of a bumpy ride over here)

Cheers,

Caroline

:scared:
Old Sep 2nd 2002, 2:02 pm
Caroline

Originally posted by Alan Collett:
Hello Caroline.

There's info here on the bonus points and when your funds have to be invested:
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=155

You are investing for a fixed term with one of the State/Territory Governments that are pleased to accept your A$100k in return for which you receive interest. The investment is more akin to a Government Bond - so in principle your money should be secure and the underlying capital value remains constant.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Alan

Caroline
Old Sep 2nd 2002, 9:26 pm
Jaj

Alan I would have thought many people find it feasible to increase their mortgage on
their house to fund the A$100k and then repay the lot when the house is sold?

You've obviously got a currency/property risk somewhere here, but I guess for some
it's the only way. It may be preferable to selling the house before the visa is
granted, depending on one's view about the way the property market is going in the UK
and one's idea of risk.

Jeremy

>On Mon, 02 Sep 2002 10:15:59 +0000, Alan Collett <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Hello Caroline.
    >There's info here on the bonus points and when your funds have to be invested: [url-
    >="http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=155"]http://www.gomatilda.com-
    >/news/article.cfm?articleid=155[/url]
    >You are investing for a fixed term with one of the State/Territory Governments that
    >are pleased to accept your A$100k in return for which you receive interest. The
    >investment is more akin to a Government Bond
    >- so in principle your money should be secure and the underlying capital value
    > remains constant.
    >Hope this helps.
    >Originally posted by Caroline B:
    >> Thanks for the replies - I'm too old to retrain as a nurse!! (41) - but reckon
    >> nurses would get a really good response from the skills match programme (aah, to
    >> be in demand!)
    >> I can't see that IT experience (even in Healthcare) would be that sought after...
    >> $100K is only feasible on selling my house - which I wouldn't do until I got the
    >> all clear and was planning to go directly... So at what stage in the process do
    >> you need to invest the money??
    >> Also - How safe is your cash - what are you investing in? (Stocks and Shares have
    >> had a bit of a bumpy ride over here)
    >> Cheers,
    >> Caroline
    > :scared:
    >--
    >Alan Collett of Go Matilda,
    >http://www.gomatilda.com