Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

skills assessment (work references)

skills assessment (work references)

Old Jun 4th 2006, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Lee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud of
Red face skills assessment (work references)

Hi there,
I’m a joiner/ carpenter and have just started filling in the forms for the skills assessment. I have got the references from my previous employers but some of them are a bit brief especially the part about the job description and the tools used. Does anybody know if they will still be ok if I am really descriptive on these areas in my personal statement?
This is an example of the worst reference:

“To whom it may concern,
Lee was employed by D W Joinery services LTD as a joiner from 27th September 2004 to 14th April 2006.
During his employment with D W Joinery, Lee has been a valuable part of the workforce, within his time he demonstrated the ability to work to a high standard and was capable of producing quality workmanship. Lee was able to work to tight deadlines and can work using his own initiative. Whilst working for D W Joinery Lee was promoted to Foreman an worked on site and in the workshop making bespoke joinery products using several types of joinery machines I.e spindle and cross cut saw, amongst others found in a joinery workshop.
Yours faithfully”

Hope someone can help
Cheers Lee
Old Jun 4th 2006, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

halcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to all
Default Re: skills assessment (work references)

Hi Lee.

They need to be very detailed and very, very descriptive. I am a tiler and if you pm me I will let you have a couple of references that I submitted that were part of the pass (TRA). O.K so the trade is different but the references need to be just as descriptive whatever the trade.
Old Jun 4th 2006, 10:09 pm
Shaz 'n' Phil

sharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Lee&Jade
Hi there,
I’m a joiner/ carpenter and have just started filling in the forms for the skills assessment. I have got the references from my previous employers but some of them are a bit brief especially the part about the job description and the tools used. Does anybody know if they will still be ok if I am really descriptive on these areas in my personal statement?
This is an example of the worst reference:

“To whom it may concern,
Lee was employed by D W Joinery services LTD as a joiner from 27th September 2004 to 14th April 2006.
During his employment with D W Joinery, Lee has been a valuable part of the workforce, within his time he demonstrated the ability to work to a high standard and was capable of producing quality workmanship. Lee was able to work to tight deadlines and can work using his own initiative. Whilst working for D W Joinery Lee was promoted to Foreman an worked on site and in the workshop making bespoke joinery products using several types of joinery machines I.e spindle and cross cut saw, amongst others found in a joinery workshop.
Yours faithfully”

Hope someone can help
Cheers Lee
Hiya Lee,

My hubby is joiner/builder just sent everything off for TRA, although he is self-employed. Feel free to PM me as well I will do all I can to help because its quite a detailed description they need.

Sharon & Phil
Old Jun 5th 2006, 7:38 am
Just Joined

katrina and Martin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by halcyon 52
Hi Lee.

They need to be very detailed and very, very descriptive. I am a tiler and if you pm me I will let you have a couple of references that I submitted that were part of the pass (TRA). O.K so the trade is different but the references need to be just as descriptive whatever the trade.
hi lee
hope you dont mind but hebby a builder and would love an example of a detailed reference to give us a guide of what we should be aiming for in a ref. for tra.
thanks
katrina and martin
Old Jun 5th 2006, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

priscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to all

Lee,
You can either get those people to redo them with a lot more detail, and give them a few pointers or you could do a statutory declaration that describes in great detail what you did and put it with the reference if they are not willing to help you further.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Angela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi my OH carpetner/joiner

He had to detail through references year by year the apprenticeship, tools used, including work shop and mobile tools, submit work methods for special jobs, ie fitting a sub flooring step by step, like a method statement equipment and types of wood and why etc.

This type of reference carried on though all His c/j jobs to show He was fully qualified and practicing - even down to details such as door furniture, types of hinges, woods and glues, lamination of work tops

Just take your time and get it all down on paper, it's not a small job!
angela
Old Jun 5th 2006, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Lee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud of
Smile Re: skills assessment (work references)

Originally Posted by Angela Marie
Hi my OH carpetner/joiner

He had to detail through references year by year the apprenticeship, tools used, including work shop and mobile tools, submit work methods for special jobs, ie fitting a sub flooring step by step, like a method statement equipment and types of wood and why etc.

This type of reference carried on though all His c/j jobs to show He was fully qualified and practicing - even down to details such as door furniture, types of hinges, woods and glues, lamination of work tops

Just take your time and get it all down on paper, it's not a small job!
angela
Hi Angela,
Did your OH get his employers to write the detailed references? or did he write this himself in a statutory declaration to put with the references?
Has your OH passed the skills assessment?
Thanx alot for your help
Jade and Lee
Old Jun 5th 2006, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by priscilia
Lee,
You can either get those people to redo them with a lot more detail, and give them a few pointers or you could do a statutory declaration that describes in great detail what you did and put it with the reference if they are not willing to help you further.
Hi Priscilia,
Thanx for your advise.
Would I do a stat dec to go with each naff reference or just one to cover the lot?
Thanx
Jade and Lee :scared:
Old Jun 5th 2006, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

priscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Lee&Jade
Hi Priscilia,
Thanx for your advise.
Would I do a stat dec to go with each naff reference or just one to cover the lot?
Thanx
Jade and Lee :scared:
We only had the problem with his current employer who refused to do anything for him altogether!!
We did a letter for that and got the other ones to add to the original references so they would be detailed enough. It's a very long process going back to people and getting everything just right, but you'll get there in the end.