Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

are skilled people required in oz??

Old Jun 1st 2006, 5:45 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default are skilled people required in oz??

the skill debate goes on

or is just an employers scam for cheap labour

please watch the following nine msn report

http://ninemsn.video.msn.com/v/en-au...minutes&t=m163

click on working class video it gives both sides of the story
employers and unions

comments please
Old Jun 1st 2006, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: are skilled people required in oz??

Yes skilled people are required
and
Yes where employers can get cheaper labour they will - that happens everywhere in the world - the UK is no exception!

Originally Posted by steve`o
the skill debate goes on

employers and unions

comments please
Old Jun 1st 2006, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Far North Queensland is crying out for skilled people - particularly all trades and they are paid an excellent rate, due to the sheer shortage.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 6:28 am
bru
Forum Regular

bru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Far North Queensland is crying out for skilled people - particularly all trades and they are paid an excellent rate, due to the sheer shortage.

Yes, but on the other hand employers are telling me that they have enough skilled applicants for the advertised job suitable than me.
BTW, at the end of each rejection email, they do wish me good luck to find a job..
One thing I have experienced is, they do need more skills, creative ideas to improve the service level of DIMIA itself.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 6:36 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Same in WA.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 7:36 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

before some one points it out i know this is going off topic but its relevant

Far North Queensland is crying out for skilled people[I]

so why do the bloody authorities make it so damn hard to get licences
i`m referring to electrical licences here ( I`m a sparky )

you would think that having had the TRA assess your skills for migration
then you would be eligible for a licence but no you have o go back to the TRA fill in the same bloody form all be it with a different front cover
( i kid you not ) send all the same information in order to apply for your ARTC

so if the skill shortage is so severe why have skilled workers hanging around for 3-6 months whilst they get the correct paperwork ??

having spent 20+ years in the industry and having employed electricians for
my own company i can tell within a couple of hours whether some one is skilled or just good at the relevant paperwork , wouldn't on site skill assessments be a more practical way to deal with this issue ??
Old Jun 1st 2006, 7:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

then you would be eligible for a licence but no you have o go back to the TRA fill in the same bloody form all be it with a different front cover

so if the skill shortage is so severe why have skilled workers hanging around for 3-6 months whilst they get the correct paperwork ??

my own company i can tell within a couple of hours whether some one is skilled or just good at the relevant paperwork , wouldn't on site skill assessments be a more practical way to deal with this issue ??

I can understand the need for them to make sure you know their regulations, but I think that a refresher course would be sufficient. When you pass the TRA they should issue you with an application form for the ARTC and tell you to enrol at TAFE for a weeks mini course or something. Then when you've done that the tutor could sign you off and you should then be able to apply for your licence.

Or something like that

I think it's more to do with the unions and the fact that while there is a shortage, they can charge what they like and they are worried that we will go over and do the same job for less.

It's also got a lot to do with the fact that you have to pay more money to the TRA for the privilege of having your skills assessed yet again!!
Old Jun 1st 2006, 11:05 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
I think it's more to do with the unions and the fact that while there is a shortage, they can charge what they like and they are worried that we will go over and do the same job for less.

It's also got a lot to do with the fact that you have to pay more money to the TRA for the privilege of having your skills assessed yet again!!
Something we have agreed on before Wendy

A workforce in demand is a strong union hand and the need for various paperwork funds many organisations not just the TRA.

This is only something the government can resolve. The transfer from approved skilled immigrant to approved skilled worker takes far too long.
Not in every but in many, many cases needlessly so.
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Steve,

I absolutely agree with your comments about the form filling etc etc and it IS a pain in the arse but necessary, I'm afraid. My Ste is an Air con and Fridge mechanic, 10 years experience, fully qualified up, exemplary references and experince and yet he had to do the hoop jumping, form filling etc etc to be recongnised within his trade once we arrived.

On the positive side, it took him 3 hours to get a job with the company he's been with almost 2 years now, excellent pay and all the perks, so worth it in the end.

The paper trail is just a money spinner IMO, es[pecially when, as you have said, we have already done all that once over and payed the fees to the TRA.....

Old Jun 2nd 2006, 8:37 am
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light

To ans your question in one word..
NO
-Bart
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

paka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant future

the skill debate goes on

employers and unions

comments please
Good to see video, but they could be playing it about u.k too.You are a sparky,so you will now.Most labour is now European in the u.k. The chef on the video was in blackpool .This is just 10mins from us.we are blackpool born & bread People,and blackpool has gone.Its completely European now.every hotel,to bar,to building site.I think its world wide,So survival of the fittest.
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

dolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud of

the skill debate goes on

employers and unions

comments please
Well, I must say that was a long clip. Yes, surely employers exploit cheap labour. The labour is getting more than what they could earn in their own country and they sacrifice personal joy for that.
What really matters is level of exploitation. As long as Employers are fair, all's good.
About ozzies unemployment, if they wanted to work they still can find it and otherwise they too can migrate to some suitable place.
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 4:49 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: are skilled people required in oz??

Hi, does anyone know if toolmakers/metal machinists have to do another TRA once they get to OZ? or anything similar?
TIA kat xxx

Old Jun 2nd 2006, 5:26 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: are skilled people required in oz??

With respect, it's because we don't want a bunch of foreign cowboys larking about the place. (And I'm sure you wouldn't either!)

Anyway, I don't see the UK cutting corners to allow foreign tradesmen the right to work in your country, so why should Australia be any different?

having spent 20+ years in the industry and having employed electricians for my own company i can tell within a couple of hours whether some one is skilled or just good at the relevant paperwork , wouldn't on site skill assessments be a more practical way to deal with this issue ??
And a doctor who's been in the healthcare business for 20 years knows a case of heart disease when he sees one, but he still can't set up a practice unless he's got the bit of paper which proves that he's qualified.
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 9:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

And a doctor who's been in the healthcare business for 20 years knows a case of heart disease when he sees one, but he still can't set up a practice unless he's got the bit of paper which proves that he's qualified.
or SHE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.